Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
The "woman alone" phenomenon might be a world wide bias against women traveling alone or hiking alone or hitchhiking alone or backpacking alone, or whatever else. This bias could be due to the predatory nature of men---as many men are often "on the hunt" for women to meet for whatever reasons. Fill in the blanks.

Then again, to your point---There does seem to be an exaggerated fear of men by SOME women, whereby they won't attempt any kind of solo hike or solo backpacking trip. I guess I'd call it The Deliverance Syndrome.

Spiders and yellow jackets and pit vipers do not discriminate between human males or females---they have no gender biases.

But all backpackers no matter gender have "what if" scenarios which could keep them out of the woods. Then again, what's more important: Worrying about what might happen or just getting out into what's left of the great outdoors???
Tipi,
Oh I don't let it keep me out of the woods. I am not afraid on a paralyzing level. Just a little concerned is all. I will admit it is a ridiculous thought that strength in numbers applies to all things but....

If a bear eats me, would be nice if there were someone there to call for help and tell the story. If I run face first into a huge spider, it would be nice if someone could tell me where it is and help me get it off.... and laugh at me so hard that I have to laugh at myself instead of crying like a baby. If i fall and twist an ankle, it would be nice if someone were there to help me limp to a rock to sit down a minute to access the damage and possibly get some water for me if I can't walk at all. If I get bit by a pit viper, it would be nice if someone were there to suck the venom out . As a woman, and it may also be true for men, but since I am not one I cannot confirm and doubt many would admit, I just FEEL safer if someone, ANYone, is with me. That's all. Imma still go though.no matter what!