Quote Originally Posted by putts View Post
I whole-heartedly believe that the trail is filled with the type of people who, If they came across anybody who was hurt from a fall or in any sort of predicament, would help and consider it not a burden but an opportunity to act on the goodness that the trail inspires. If you, or any other person needs help - I, and 99.9999% of any hiker I've ever met out there (or on here) would step up, gladly. Sex, age, nationality, religion - There is no discrimination when it comes to someone needing help.(MAYBE THE 1ST THING EVERYONE ON WB WOULD AGREE ON?!? -DaNcInG BaNaNa-)

Oh I know, and I would do the same, but who wants to be the one that slows a stranger down, ya know? I didn't mean to imply i thought the hiking community would just watch and giggle while I bleed to death or drag myself across the dirt. I just would hate to be alone and have to be a burden on a stranger if something happened. Chances are, nothing would happen anyway, but I always look at worst case and try to prepare for that. I am sure most people would be wonderful and help me if needed, but in their heads they would be saying "I would be all the way to Grafton Notch by now if I hadn't been stopped by the fat lady with the broken ankle. She should have been better prepared. Stupid newbies ought to train more before taking something like this on. etc etc. Even if they never said it out loud, and many would say it out loud. Who wants to be that lady?