WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Some questions about the sectioning the Smokies

3 of us are planning a hike from Fontana to Rt 40 to knock out the Smokies this year (July or August). We usually tent on our section hikes. Reading up on the regulations, it appears there is no tenting at the Shelters... "7. Backcountry permit holders may not use tents at shelters." Don't mind shelters, but if there full, we're burned.

So, our debate begins.

1. Should we even bother bringing tents?
    2. Should we just tent at shelters and not worry about it?
    3. What's the stealth camping situation like for the Smokies?
    4. Are hammock an option or are the trees too small (Seems like they were at the Dome)?

Basically, I guess I'm asking what would you do? Any help appreciated.

As a section hiker, by rule, you must make reservations at each shelter you want to stay at and sleep in the shelter. The only “legal” option for sleeping out of a shelter is if you are a thru hiker, which you do not meet the definition of.

You up can make reservations roughly a month out, and you must secure spots for all 3 of your group at each shelter or campsite for each night. July and August should be pretty easy to get spots on the AT.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by Bigg Jilm View Post
    3 of us are planning a hike from Fontana to Rt 40 to knock out the Smokies this year (July or August). We usually tent on our section hikes. Reading up on the regulations, it appears there is no tenting at the Shelters... "7. Backcountry permit holders may not use tents at shelters." Don't mind shelters, but if there full, we're burned.
    So, our debate begins.

1. Should we even bother bringing tents?
    2. Should we just tent at shelters and not worry about it?
    3. What's the stealth camping situation like for the Smokies?
    4. Are hammock an option or are the trees too small (Seems like they were at the Dome)?

Basically, I guess I'm asking what would you do? Any help appreciated.
    1. Bring some sort of emergency shelter in case of immobilizing injury.

2. Breaking the rules requires the park to implement more rules.

3. There is no stealth camping in the Smokies period.

4. Hammocks are not an option either as they can't be setup in the shelters or attached and they are considered the same as tenting at a shelter. Only thru hikers with the correct permit and a full shelter would be allowed to hammock.

We went through the Smokies last July, Mollies Ridge was full to capacity night one, Derrick Knob was capacity when we passed it day 2. No other shelters were full after that. We did a more aggressive mileage then most so that probably skewed the numbers. We did:

Mollies Ridge Shelter

Double Spring Gap Shelter

Peck's Corner Shelter

Davenport Gap Shelter

We brought our normal two-person tent as we were going to Sam's Gap. If the shelter happens to be full, I did see people tent and some that decided to tent regardless. If the shelter were full, I have heard that if/when a ridgerunner shows up, they are generally lenient if the shelter is actually full. Pretty sure they understand that no one is going out there looking for a confrontation. If they show and the shelter isn't full, there is a nice little fine.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

DUPLICATE QUESTION:
    There's already more responses at the other copy over here.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    DUPLICATE QUESTION:
    There's already more responses at the other copy over here.

I tried to close this thread since I chose the wrong topic, but I can't find the little checkbox. Thanks for the linking...

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bigg Jilm View Post
    I tried to close this thread since I chose the wrong topic, but I can't find the little checkbox. Thanks for the linking...
    Contributing members have the added ability to Edit their posts (which includes deleting any of the text of a post).
    But from what I can find, even contributing members can not delete a post.

++ New Posts ++