WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Starting flip flop in June: where to start?

I'm starting a flip flop hike on June 15th after I graduate high school. I know I can't start anywhere in Georgia or NC since I will get to Maine too late, so where are most hikers around that time? Is it still feasible to hike NOBO on June 15th and still finish the first section after I get to Maine? I've sectioned hiked before, but this is a whole different beast since I have to start late. Any help is appreciated!

Why not just hike SOBO?

I don't think I'm ready to hike SOBO, since the initial terrain is rough and the 100-mile wilderness stretch is hard. I want to take a few weeks to make sure I am really enjoying what I am getting myself into, and Maine isn't really the best place to do that.

Maybe start at Delaware Water Gap? Likely decent transportation options to get there, a nice hostel (or was). NJ and NY are nice sections, not too hard, CT is forgettable, and then right as you hit your stride, MA->ME is the epic part. Then, once you've finished and are jacked, flip back to DWG, and tackle Rocksylvania, then south for the Fall.

The Water Gap would be a good place to start. About the easiest place to start as you can get.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by amstrudy View Post
    I'm starting a flip flop hike on June 15th after I graduate high school. I know I can't start anywhere in Georgia or NC since I will get to Maine too late, so where are most hikers around that time?
    By "most" hikers I assume you are talking about NOBO thru-hikers since predicting where section and day hikers will be is pretty random. The middle of the NOBO bubble is at about the AT half-way point in southern Pennsylvania in mid June, but you will find a fair number of NOBOs for three hundred miles in either direction from that area -- anywhere from central Virginia to New York. So if you want to be among as many thru-hikers as possible start in southern Pennsylvania. If you want to be among some thru-hikers, but less than peak traffic start in Waynesboro VA or Vernon NJ (or DWG PA). If you would rather be among very few start south of Daleville VA or north of Kent CT. Just remember that in your first couple weeks on the trail you might injure yourself if you try to keep up with typical trail-hardened NOBOs.

As for whether you can finish the whole trail, your chances are about as good as the average SOBO hopeful since you will be starting the trail at around the time a lot of them start in Maine.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

-

that time of year I would want to be fairly far north so my vote would be new york - that would put you mid august to start back sobo from NY

AT 2012

...you say you want to take a few weeks to see if you like what you're getting into -- sounds like a wise position to take. Would you consider starting at springer mountain, and hiking north till you reach gatlinburg -- about as close to your house at you get. you could head home from there, take a weekend off, resupply and dial in your gear, and then head up to katahdin to hike south back to gatlinburg. that way your travel investment is minimized if you change your mind about the adventure. The trail around Springer won't be stupid crowded then, which is another bonus.
    Lazarus

If you start in the middle and hike north to Katahdin, you'll be much more ready for it both physically and mentally. Virginia and the southern half of the Trail does not really prepare you for Katahdin or the 100-mile wilderness. Katahdin is a natural progression and culmination after hiking through the Whites and Maine. It can be a rude shock for someone flipping from anywhere other than those 2 states. The folks in Baxter State Park and at the A.T. Lodge in Millinocket can confirm that many flip-floppers who started in Georgia and flip from the middle are not ready for Katahdin. Sure, some are, but some aren't.

Logistically, Baxter is easier to enter as a long-distance northbound A.T. hiker than coming from outside the park. If coming in the park as a sobo or a now southbound flip-flopper, you need to make advance camping reservations. Generally the best time to enter Baxter as a northbound hiker is in September on a weekday. Just make sure you plan to stop at the A.T. Visitor Center in Monson just before the 100 Mile Wilderness to get all the info you need.

In August, space in Baxter can be is pretty tight. Don't arrive on Labor Day weekend, when there is a special event that has all campsites booked.

Another plus for hiking northbound to Katahdin is you get those heart-pounding views as it looms closer and closer.

The peak of the nobo bubble is around Harpers Ferry June 15. You'll want to be ahead of them. Delaware Water Gap, PA is a good place to start (Martz bus comes within about a mile of the Trail), but the bubble will start to catch up to you somewhat. Pawling, NY (2 miles from the Trail) is another possible location to start that has train service. On weekends, the A.T. Stop is right on the Trail. You hit some steep stuff in Connecticut pretty quickly though. But even NY has some very steep (if short) scrambles that you hit before long if you start at DWG.

If you wait until after the bubble, you could be pushing your time to get to Katahdin, and there's the psychological cloud of wondering if you're going to make it on time. July 15 is the unofficial cut-off of when normal-paced nobos should think about flipping. However, the calculus is different if you're just starting out. You need time to gain your trail legs. Nobos take an average of 3 months to reach Katahdin from Harpers Ferry, but if you're just starting out you should plan on 3 1/2 months at least, 4 to give yourself a cushion.

Yeah, nobos are cruising, big-time by the mid-Atlantic. That's one of the hardest parts of starting mid-Trail is not letting that influence you or your mileage and making you go faster than you should. Learn hiking and gear tips from them. Ask them how many miles they did when they started. Also remember that they are a bit jaded by now. Enjoy your wide-eyed wonder that they had when they started but some may have lost.

Images

CT is forgettable? Hmff! While only 53 miles you have Ten Mile/Housatonic area, Indian rocks/Schaghticoke mtn, St John's Ledges, Caleb's Peak, Hang glider view, The Great Falls, Rand's view, Lion's head, Riga, and Bear mtn! Maybe you should re-hike CT, I think you cruised thru it to fast to appreciate all the beauty. And there's plenty of good climbs along the way to slow you down.
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

++ New Posts ++