WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stove and cup

Default Stove and cup

I ordered a JetBoil MiniMo, coffee press and all, which just arrived. Looking to a get a cup for coffee and am torn between bringing paper cups, a plastic cup or diving into the deep end of the pool and getting a titanium cup. Actually two in case a lady friend decides to join me.

I'm struggling with the notion of spending $40-$75 for two coffee cups. I'm leaning toward the REI GSI plastic cup, at $2.95 each, or paper cups, for no cost, I would get at a local coffee shop.

Any thoughts?

I one used a very sturdy Styrofoam cup and thought this would make a good UL coffee cup for backpacking so i packed it for my upcomming trip. I arrive at the trailhead (which was in a small town) late in the day. I didn't have time to hike to the first campground on my permit so I ate at the restaurant in town and camped at the municipal campground before starting out the following morning. When I woke up, I find that I had rolled over on my "sturdy" cup and crushed it. So I stopped at the town's dollar store in the morning to buy a cheap plastic cup before hitting the trail. Andrew Skurka's calls this "stupid light".

The insulated GSI plastic cups at REI serve multiple functions for me. Hot food, hot drinks and cold water at stream crossings.
    Wayne

Registered User TheMidlifeHiker's Avatar

I make my coffee in my pot after my oatmeal. One vessel and it helps to clean up

Quote Originally Posted by TheMidlifeHiker View Post
    I make my coffee in my pot after my oatmeal. One vessel and it helps to clean up
    Same method here. I'd prefer to have my coffee and oatmeal at the same time but making coffee after oatmeal eliminates the cleanup (if you don't mind bits of oatmeal in coffee).

Get quality gear the first time and it will last forever. My jet boil sol aluminum cup is in like new condition five years and many hundreds of meals later.

Can’t imagine keeping the press very long....so many good instant coffees out there now...I...like many have tried the press but ditched it quickly as was too much of a hassle to clean....fast, simple and light has consumed my choices......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question---The Minimo comes with it's own bottom plastic bowl which can be used for a cup. Also the pot itself can be used as a large coffee cup---so why not use these items??

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    The insulated GSI plastic cups at REI serve multiple functions for me. Hot food, hot drinks and cold water at stream crossings.
    Wayne
    It also provides a nice storage container for bear line and headlamp. GSI cup has served me well.

I had the GSI cup and it works ok. I prefer having coffee while I pack stuff up so the weight of a stand alone cup is worth it to me versus drinking from the pot after eating breakfast for the days I have a hot breakfast. I eventually replaced the GSI cup with a Sea 2 Summit large collapsible cup. Same weight but packs smaller. I use a small ultralight pack so room is more of an issue than weight. It fits in a hip pocket so it can be the last thing loaded. Not better, just what works for me I guess.

FYI, I hated my JetBoil coffee press. I ended up getting an Aeropress (which takes up the room of the GSI cup :-) You have to have your priorities). Much better coffee in my opinion and that is important........

Journal Entries

I make a large pot of coffee using this filter from GSI. I am a coffee purist and dislike instant coffee. Normally I can boil enough water for both coffee and breakfast at the same time and don't have to have one without the other. At 1.7 oz. (48.2 gm) it is a lot lighter that carrying a press, although I do use a press at home. YMMV.
    Blackheart

Journal Entries

I should have mentioned, I use a 16 oz Nalgene bottle in a cozy to keep my coffee hot.
    Blackheart

Journal Entries

:banana

Over the last 44 years my choice of backpacking cups has evolved. Initially I used a Sierra Cup, oblivious for decades to its excessive weight and small capacity and tolerating my tendency to spill hot drinks over the edge of its special alloy rim. Then I went through a period when, like a poster above, I did not carry a cup. I instead heated water in my quart sized Walmart Grease Pot and then later made hot drinks in a heavier than necessary water bottle that I had purchased from an outfitter.

Then, following advise that was helpfully presented here on White Blaze about a decade ago, I purchased and added to my kit a 1/2 quart sized thin aluminum measuring cup, something like the one linked below. That type of cup is cheap, durable, and can be used to heat water atop my small, very simple, alcohol stove. I then protect my mouth from the hot metal by using an orange plastic Snow Peaks "Hot Lips" on the cup.

https://www.missionrs.com/browne-hal...AaAkrdEALw_wcB

These days I like being able to drink coffee, cocoa, or hot cider along with my meals and thus am willing to carry along that 1/2 quart sized aluminum cup (weight 2 oz.) as part of my spare but functional setup: my stove+wind screen+ 'grease' pot+cup+lexan spoon+1/2 bandana as pot holder & dish rag+ lighter (10 oz. total weight).

Cook sets are not jet airplanes so they do not need to be made of 'titanium' (actually aluminum and titanium alloy), which does not conduct heat as well as pure aluminum would. Cheap aluminum pots and cups are both very light and plenty strong.
    Last edited by Siestita; 04-06-2018 at 00:42.

Journal Entries

Hard plastic can be the lightest. But also there is somewhat of a ritual of morning coffee and a proper cup can mean something to a person, or not. I am one who likes a proper cup, so I got (gifted) a Ti mug from snow peak. I found it also useful as a additional cooking pot.

I would perhaps look towards a smaller (14-16) ozToaks cup/pot with lid, or there are ones from China for under $20.

I use a disposable cub but honestly this is the lightest cup that you can find that isn't disposable. Not sure if this is the same one you are referencing.

GSI Outdoors Cascadian Cup

They stack nicley together too.

i use a talenti gelatto jar, acts as cold soak container and as a hot/cold cup...in fact instant oatmeal and instant coffee mixed together add cold water throw in pack hike an hour and b-fast is ready.

Quote Originally Posted by D2maine View Post
    i use a talenti gelatto jar, acts as cold soak container and as a hot/cold cup...in fact instant oatmeal and instant coffee mixed together add cold water throw in pack hike an hour and b-fast is ready.
    I'm going to be honest, that sounds horrible. But I respect the efficiency. HYOH

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Recalc View Post
    It also provides a nice storage container for bear line and headlamp. GSI cup has served me well.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    I make a large pot of coffee using this filter from GSI. I am a coffee purist and dislike instant coffee. Normally I can boil enough water for both coffee and breakfast at the same time and don't have to have one without the other. At 1.7 oz. (48.2 gm) it is a lot lighter that carrying a press, although I do use a press at home. YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    I should have mentioned, I use a 16 oz Nalgene bottle in a cozy to keep my coffee hot.
    +1 to all of this, more or less.

I like the GSI bowl because it nests just about perfectly in my Grease Pot. That way I can have my porridge and my coffee without having to drink from my pot.

In winter at least, I use Nalgenes with cozies. A cozy helps keep my water unfrozen, and a Nalgene will stand up to the pressure if it does freeze. A Platypus will NOT stand up to the pressure, and a wide-mouth Gatorade bottle, the favorite of many hikers, is something that I use for another purpose entirely in the winter and do NOT want to confuse with drinking water! If I'm bringing a Nalgene and cozy, I'll usually brew my coffee in it, and brew enough that I can enjoy a second cup a mile or two down the trail. Yeah, I'm a hedonist. If I'm toting Nalgenes and cozies, I might not bother with the cup/bowl.

This filter from GSI, at 0.4 oz, is even lighter than what you linked to, and works with basically any container. If folds flat, and fits inside the GSI bowl. I find that it brews weak coffee unless I use a paper filter with it.

Most of the coffee drinkers that I meet Out There bring something so that they can have their coffee and their breakfast at the same time, and don't drink from their pots. The true ultralighters are commoner here than on the trail.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

When looking for a solution that is lightweight, durable, cheap, and practical, I have a habit of looking at all the latest high tech materials and forget to consider wood, a material that often ticks all the boxes and yey has been in use from caveman days. Kupilka makse a wood composite drinking cup I have used. It's a bit hard to pack, but asthetically quite pleasing. No burned lions like aluminum.

I have a snow peak titanium cup, because as others have said, I like a hot cup of coffee or tea WITH my meal.
    I usually clip it to the outside of the pack so it can be a water scoop when necessary, without having to dig through the pack to get it.
    I also use a 1 liter titanium pot, snow peak giga power stove and it's special windscreen.
    I have other stoves and pots, but my coffee cup is (so far) always part of my kit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++