WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Stove and cup

Get 2 GSI infinity cups and call it good. No problem fitting in a 103 liter pack.

Images

IMG_6145.JPG The cup on the left is from Sea to Summit. It's pricey but will keep your coffee warm for 20+ minutes on a 20* morning. Any metal cup, unless a double wall, will not keep beverages warm for more than a few minutes. I still remember hikers packing a "Sierra Cup" swinging from their packs.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

I still have a pair of Sierra Club cups. Supplanted by a pair of GSI Infinity cups.
    The Sierra Club cups hang from my hip belts easier and more securely. In a pinch, I can heat water in the Sierra Club cups over a fire.
    Wayne

Journal Entries

I use the cup from the Snow Peak Mini Solo cook set. I also use the Snow Peak Hot lips as mentioned above. The filter I mentioned allows you to either put the coffee in the filter or put the coffee in the bottle and the filter holds it while you pour. I use a little more course grind with it. The problem I found with plastic dishware, especially coffee cups, is after continuous washing with soap, the coffee begins to taste like soap.
    Blackheart

I still use my old green and white plastic AMC cup on most trips heavy doesn't nest well but keeps drinks hot for about 20 minutes. When going ultlite I find the cheap reusable cups from Starbucks work well and last a couple of trips.

My cup of choice is the GSI Minimalist pot/mug, paired with a titanium lid from 4 Dog Stoves. On some trips, it does double duty as my pot and mug, but often times, I'll carry both a 900ml ti pot and the mug. The insulated sleeve keeps coffee warm for a long time too.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

Quote Originally Posted by D2maine View Post
    i use a talenti gelatto jar, acts as cold soak container and as a hot/cold cup...in fact instant oatmeal and instant coffee mixed together add cold water throw in pack hike an hour and b-fast is ready.
    What flavor oatmeal tastes best?....maple brown sugar doesn’t too sound bad....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have spent lots of time getting my load to UL status; along with enjoying the lightness on my back it allows so I can bring a few comforts. I use the double wall snowpeak 450mug as I like to sip my coffee in the morning with breakfast and also enjoy a hot cup of tea before going to sleep; most cups even with a cozie will not keep fluids warm in 25 degree weather for very long. At a hair over 4oz (uuuggghh!!!) and for the cost of a kidney purchased on the black market, you too can enjoy a warm beverage. lol.

I ditched a number of items in my first 500 miles. The ONLY thing I wished I hadn't ditched was my Snowpeak double-walled titanium mug. I couldn't put it on a stove, being double-walled, so I sacrificed it. If I were to do it again I'd keep it though. For cold and hot drinks, it's the bomb. Comes in handy in town, at hostels, etc. as a dedicated drinking vessel also. No lip burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Bansko View Post
    I ditched a number of items in my first 500 miles. The ONLY thing I wished I hadn't ditched was my Snowpeak double-walled titanium mug. I couldn't put it on a stove, being double-walled, so I sacrificed it. If I were to do it again I'd keep it though. For cold and hot drinks, it's the bomb. Comes in handy in town, at hostels, etc. as a dedicated drinking vessel also. No lip burn.
    X3 on that. It's my luxury item, the exotics of "coffee mugs" lol!

Journal Entries

I know this is not the lightest but how about the Sea to summit x-mug or cup?

Journal Entries

However, if you're looking to cook with it I suggest a titanium mug but as you said the price is heavy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++