WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: 2019 Attempt

Default 2019 Attempt

Hello all- my wife and I have agreed that this coming year I will be attempting a calendar-year triple crown. I’ve never done a trip longer than three weeks, but I have always been an endurance athlete and feel my basic fitness is fine for the attempt. I know I will have to start now for conditioning my body to hiking rather than cycling, and doing some shakedown trips since I will be starting with all new gear. My biggest question is on the timing of when to start. Due to safety issues with winter trips on the other two trails, I am assuming that getting the AT done first would be the best choice. I live near the AT by Erwin, TN and have spent a good bit of time in Pisgah and the Smokies over the years, so I’m familiar with how winters can be around here at higher elevations. What is the earliest you would suggest starting a NOBO AT hike? The earlier the better for leaving time for the other trails, but too early and I’ll need snowshoes and kill a bunch of time and energy fighting deep snow.

Just want to say good luck! Triple Crown is a big dream of mine too. Im planning a SOBO 2019 AT thru hike, starting in July

Read some trail journals. They will give you a good idea.

http://www.trailjournals.com/journal...ian_Trail/2018

realizing that year to year the weather can be really different.

Also look at http://trailquest.net/weather.html for some of the more mainstream times.

Four people are believed to have completed what you are trying. Brian Robinson, the first, did some jumping around between trails to maximize acceptable weather for various segments. Squeaky, the second, completed each trail before starting another and finished with a southbound AT hike. I believe Swami also ended his feat with a southbound AT hike. I am not familiar with how Legend, the fourth guy, did it. Do an internet search for accounts of these hikes to get an idea of the weather issues and timing and such.

Katahdin in Maine can only legally be summited (without a special winter-time mountain climbing permit) between late May, and in a typical year, late October. If you do the entire AT first you will not be able to start on the other two until around June 1 in a typical year. Again, research with internet searches before deciding when to fit in all or parts of the AT.
    Last edited by map man; 04-06-2018 at 08:09.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Journal Entries

Good luck.
    Calendar yr TC seems a bit ambitious based on resume.
    Things like this are often short lived and dont end well.

But above all read /study as much of the journals of the people who have done this as possible.

First buy all the guides and data books for the various trails. Yogie's guides to the CDT and PCT are a good place to start. There's a lot of information to digest.

Go do the CT (Colorado Trail) this summer. If you have never hiked out west, you need that experience.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    I am not familiar with how Legend, the fourth guy, did it. Do an internet search for accounts of these hikes to get an idea of the weather issues and timing and such.

Katahdin in Maine can only legally be summited (without a special winter-time mountain climbing permit) between late May, and in a typical year, late October. If you do the entire AT first you will not be able to start on the other two until around June 1 in a typical year. Again, research with internet searches before deciding when to fit in all or parts of the AT.
    The fourth guy did AT, PCT, CDT. He didn't worry about Katahdin trails being closed, and summited anyway. But he's a legend so he's entitled to do whatever he wants.

-

other than the issues with K a fast, early AT nobo will commonly run into "snowdown" conditions where the trail effectively does not exist in areas until the spring melt - that is the issue brian encountered in vermont - prompting his jump to the new mex section of the cdt before doing the pct -

still not a bad plan IMO as that is the most practical early season

I don't believe anyone has completed one who hadn't already done at least one trail. Perhaps Squeaky.
    I would recommend go out this year and do at least one of the 3 for practice.
    If you have yet to do any of them, perhaps knowing what you are getting into is necessary.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Heather Anderson, Anish, is currently in Virginia attempting a calendar year Triple.
    She has mentioned near frostbitten feet and waist deep snow. You may have missed winter training in the highlands above Erwin this winter.
    You’ll need an ample travel budget between trails. Example: a few years ago late heavy snow in Colorado forced people to bypass Colorado and either flip to Glacier or Rawlins, WY. In 2013 fires and flooding hampered crossing Colorado.
    There are a lot of things that are beyond your control.
    All the best to you!
    Wayne

Heather posted on Instagram today:
    1 month. Over 800 miles.
    Substantial winter conditions also.
    Something to aim for.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Heather posted on Instagram today:
    1 month. Over 800 miles.
    Substantial winter conditions also.
    Something to aim for.
    Wayne
    Definitely! After you mentioned it, I looked her up. She has a pretty cool story to have ended up where she's at today, and her accomplishments are impressive regardless. These mountains can be tricky in the winter, for sure! More than once I've ended up in 4-5 foot deep snow on the ridges and had to spend the day post holeing to my armpits and hoping not to hurt my feet or ankles on something under the surface. She seems to be taking it all in stride, though!

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    *snip* I am not familiar with how Legend, the fourth guy, did it. *snip*.
    legend's web site http://freeoutside.com/

his y-tube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/jgar1515/videos

lastly a composite vid of his triple crown hike https://youtu.be/2kx3y_ktr2A

now you know

I can't even imagine a triple crown. Let alone a calendar triple crown. I'm not opposed to sectioning some of the other 2 but can't see myself thru hiking them. I plan to thru the AT only. If timed right i can avoid snow and ice. Ice picks, crampons, snow and ice. No thank you. I sincerely wish you the best and hope you make it.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gracebowen View Post
    I can't even imagine a triple crown. Let alone a calendar triple crown. I'm not opposed to sectioning some of the other 2 but can't see myself thru hiking them. I plan to thru the AT only. If timed right i can avoid snow and ice. Ice picks, crampons, snow and ice. No thank you. I sincerely wish you the best and hope you make it.
    Where is your spirit of adventure.
    Blackheart

Well, I’ve been spending a ton of time reading hiker journals, blogs, gear lists, schedules, etc... in an effort to get a hold on the logistics of this. Found some amazing free resources for the PCT and CDT including some very detailed route maps and notes. I feel comfortable in my gear selection, though some of the items still need to be purchased. Already doing conditioning hikes to get my body ready- been a while since I’ve done any high impact sports.

My wife and I reviewed our finances and budget and we should have enough for the trip as well as a comfortable cushion for extra travel or supplies. I wanted to complete each trail in one go, but weather may indeed force my hand into flip flopping a few times. I don’t mind winter on the AT but travel can become tricky and not really in the scope of typical “backpacking” sometimes. Here’s hoping for good luck with weather the rest of this year- I’ll most likely begin the AT on Jan 1, 2019 and go as far as I can. Depending on luck, may even make it over the Roan highlands before any significant snow hits! Flip to CDT and continue until conditions are right to begin the PCT- may even end up with a few weeks of downtime waiting for snow to melt. Then flip to SOBO CDT and then SOBO the rest of the AT. Obviously that’s a tentative plan and could change, but I would prefer to start as early as possible to have as much buffer as possible for any setbacks along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by TDFbound View Post
    Hello all- my wife and I have agreed that this coming year I will be attempting a calendar-year triple crown. I’ve never done a trip longer than three weeks, but I have always been an endurance athlete and feel my basic fitness is fine for the attempt. I know I will have to start now for conditioning my body to hiking rather than cycling, and doing some shakedown trips since I will be starting with all new gear. My biggest question is on the timing of when to start. Due to safety issues with winter trips on the other two trails, I am assuming that getting the AT done first would be the best choice. I live near the AT by Erwin, TN and have spent a good bit of time in Pisgah and the Smokies over the years, so I’m familiar with how winters can be around here at higher elevations. What is the earliest you would suggest starting a NOBO AT hike? The earlier the better for leaving time for the other trails, but too early and I’ll need snowshoes and kill a bunch of time and energy fighting deep snow.
    I think you are smart to start your attempt January 1. Regarding snowshoes, there was a short thread that discussed the need for them in the South here.
    https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...a-NC-snow-pack

I'm not sure that you would need them.

The 2 Calendar year TC attempts from 2015, both completed the AT first before moving to the other trails. (One of them decided that it would reflect poorly on the AT community to summit Katahdin illegally, and chose to return later. The other chose the opposite.) Only 1 of them successfully completed the CYTC. The one that didn't, had the experience (already a triple crown and then some) but still abandoned the attempt.

Even if you don't complete it, it'll be one hell of an experience just to try. Best of luck.

++ New Posts ++