WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Fanny pack

Default Fanny pack

Can anyone recommend a lightweight fanny pack?
    Trying to supplement my new zpacks arc haul. Fanny pack, worn in front for snacks and hygiene would be perfect.

Consider the hip belt pockets. A fanny pack buckle in the small of your back with a backpack over it sounds uncomfortable.

I use this with both my daypack and when I backpack and I love it. It hooks onto the pack straps and has a separate strap that makes it into a standalone fannypack for use while in camp. https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product...g-GRABBAG.html

Check out a chest pack - Ribz, or Hill People Gear, for instance. Made to wear with a backpack.

The lightest weight fanny packs I know of are thrupacks cuben fiber version. Gossamer gear also sells a decent small one called the hipster. Having used one occasionally, having a small one hang over or under your hipbelt isn't uncomfortable at all.

You may also want to consider shoulder strap pockets or hip belt pockets that many cottage manufacturer's sell. I'm not fond of chest packs in warm weather. That is where your body generates the most heat and you don't need to add more insulation over it.

Images

I use both the Zpacks hip belt pockets and a small waist pack worn in front. The advantage to the waist pack is that it's always there even when your pack isn't -- so I have my camera, wallet, and other things I need with me all the time.

I use this inexpensive waist pack from Walmart, it's about $5.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-P...tment/54807882
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

a friend of mine wore a small Patagonia fanny pack for the entire AT and she loved it.

By the end of the trail she had me convinced that it was a great little add on.

Now that I’m back in the normal world I see one at rei and can’t remember why I initially had such a positive view of them. Can’t get over that “but it’s a fanny pack!” Thing.

Still, it was super useful for her

++ New Posts ++