WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Why are the Cascades so hard??

Permit application for Enchantments = denied two years in a row
    Wonderland Trail application = denied two years in a row

While I wait in utter hopelessness for the results of the 2018 Wonderland permit lottery, I'm thinking its time to move on. My new plan is to attempt to get a walk-up permit for WT, and to have a solid backup hike planned if that doesn't pan out. My wife has family out there who can shuttle me around, so I'm not concerned with my back up plan being close to Rainier. I just want to be in the Cascades.

Does anyone have a suggestion on trails or areas to check out? Looking to spend anywhere from 4 to 8 nights on a trail.

-Frizz

In vague terms, what WT hike were you denied? Dates, direction, etc.
    Just curious for future planning.
    Many folks here rave about the PCT through the Goat Rocks Wilderness.
    Good luck!
    Wayne

Sure, both years I've tried to get a permit for early September, starting at Longmire going clockwise for 9 days. I think starting at a less popular entry point would have been a wise strategy. This year I used a huge date range, from early Summer to late Fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    Sure, both years I've tried to get a permit for early September, starting at Longmire going clockwise for 9 days. I think starting at a less popular entry point would have been a wise strategy. This year I used a huge date range, from early Summer to late Fall.
    Show up at Mt Rainier's backcountry desk. Get a walk up permit. The'll find a way if you can be flexible. I assume you are arriving in a car and can drop off your food caches accordingly. You may get some days longer and shorter than ideal, or a site or two a bit off the WT.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

While I wait in utter hopelessness for the results of the 2018 Wonderland permit lottery, I'm thinking its time to move on. My new plan is to attempt to get a walk-up permit for WT, and to have a solid backup hike planned if that doesn't pan out. My wife has family out there who can shuttle me around, so I'm not concerned with my back up plan being close to Rainier. I just want to be in the Cascades.

Does anyone have a suggestion on trails or areas to check out? Looking to spend anywhere from 4 to 8 nights on a trail.

-Frizz
    Go up to Hart’s pass in the north cascades. Absolutely stunning. Or do a loop in the Glacier Peak wilderness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well. There goes my plan down the drain. Although I would be willing to reverse the direction and take more time.
    I guess the word is out. If you aren’t locked in to the school Calendar, go in September.
    Check out Goat Rocks. Good luck!
    Wayne

-Frizz
    Backup Plan -- Hike the PCT starting at White Pass and hike south thru The Goat Rocks Wilderness. Where you end the hike is up to you. The PCT thru the Goat Rocks is at least as beautiful as the Wonderland Trail. No permit is required.
    Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    Backup Plan -- Hike the PCT starting at White Pass and hike south thru The Goat Rocks Wilderness. Where you end the hike is up to you. The PCT thru the Goat Rocks is at least as beautiful as the Wonderland Trail. No permit is required.
    Here is my photo album for the PCT hike -- https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...FzzgFgLtKF6joM

These are from 2016. We did exactly what you are discussing here. We didn't get a Wonderland Permit, so we showed up early to seek a walk-up permit. That didn't work either, so we just drove over to White Pass and hiked south. White Pass is just south of Mt. Rainier.
    Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    Here is my photo album for the PCT hike -- https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...FzzgFgLtKF6joM

These are from 2016. We did exactly what you are discussing here. We didn't get a Wonderland Permit, so we showed up early to seek a walk-up permit. That didn't work either, so we just drove over to White Pass and hiked south. White Pass is just south of Mt. Rainier.
    Well, that's intriguing.

Oops...................
    Last edited by Feral Bill; 04-07-2018 at 00:41.

oops.................
    Last edited by Feral Bill; 04-07-2018 at 00:41.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Nice pix. Looks like a nice trek.

It does seem that now when I plan trips out west I have to structure at least 2 itineraries.
    Be Prepared

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    Nice pix. Looks like a nice trek.

It does seem that now when I plan trips out west I have to structure at least 2 itineraries.
    Don’t go all the way to the coast.
    Wayne

I've got my application in! I submitted a wide window from mid-Aug to mid-Sep, and said I could do the trail in 7-13 days, from any trailhead, in any direction. We'll see if that works!
    It is what it is.

Standing by. All the best to you.
    Wayne

Just got an email regarding my application...

We could not get your reservation request to work using any of the
    alternate start dates, alternate choices (if you submitted them) and/or
    alternate camps.

Well crap. Now I gotta decide if I want to risk flying out there and trying for a walk up permit, or doing the Wind River High Route...which honestly I think I need another year prep time for.

Anybody have insights into walk ups? The ranger in the vid said they can usually put something together for you if you are flexible, just curious if anyone has ever been turned away empty handed?

Shutterbug - saw you were denied a walkup. If you don't mind me asking, were your options not flexible, or was it just that hard?

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    Just got an email regarding my application...

We could not get your reservation request to work using any of the
    alternate start dates, alternate choices (if you submitted them) and/or
    alternate camps.

Well crap. Now I gotta decide if I want to risk flying out there and trying for a walk up permit, or doing the Wind River High Route...which honestly I think I need another year prep time for.

Anybody have insights into walk ups? The ranger in the vid said they can usually put something together for you if you are flexible, just curious if anyone has ever been turned away empty handed?
    Rats. Go to the Winds. Use the time to prep for the High Route next year.
    Wayne

It's only about 45 miles long, but the Timberline Trail around Mt. Hood in Oregon is absolutely splendid and doesn't require any special permits. I'd hold the Timberline Trail up against the Wonderland Trail any day for beauty, remoteness, and spectacular alpine views. And, 3/4 of the timberland trail has a LOT fewer people. Hiked Timberline counterclockwise in the end of June a few years ago with almost no bugs, only 4 other people in two days (and then 300 people the last 3 miles from Ramona Falls to Timberline).

There are also weeks of beautiful backpacking available in Olympic National Park, both inland and along the coast which also would rival the experience or likely surpass the experience of the Wonderland Trail (albeit with a few less spectacular alpine fews). Shutterbug could surely speak to the Olympics vs. Rainier with more authority than I.

As a community, I think it is easy to get caught up in the excitement of the big famous named trails and routes (leading to needing permits to control overuse) whereas, with a little research, there are so, so, so many other spectacular options to choose from that are not overused because they are not a famous trail. I like to think of it like having a famous girlfriend. Many people love and dream about famous and beautiful Hollywood stars, but really, there are a lot of other ones to get to know and choose from that are likely every more lovely than the famous ones. . . often living right next door.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    There are also weeks of beautiful backpacking available in Olympic National Park, both inland and along the coast which also would rival the experience or likely surpass the experience of the Wonderland Trail (albeit with a few less spectacular alpine fews). Shutterbug could surely speak to the Olympics vs. Rainier with more authority than I.
    I don't consider myself an authority on the Olympics. I have hiked a number of the trails in the Olympics. They are indeed beautiful, but I keep going back to the Wonderland Trail over and over.

I try to hike the Ozette Loop Trail at least once a year. It is in the coastal section of the Olympic National Park There is something special about being alone in a camp along the beach when the high tide cuts off all access. The ocean views and the night time sounds are great memories.

The trails in the main part of Olympic National Park offer a wide variety of experiences. Some of them compare favorably with the Wonderland. The same can be said about the Northern Cascades. If being remote with very few other hikers is important, then either Olympic National Park or the North Cascades are remote.

All of that being said, I have never camped in spots more beautiful that Indian Bar, Summerland or Kaplatchie Park on the Wonderland Trail. I keep being drawn back to the Wonderland.
    Shutterbug

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++