WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Maybe a curfew of some sort would make Larry's more attractive. $45 a night with actually getting a good night's sleep would be attractive. When I was in Damascus, Larry's was loud and pot stenchy at night. We stayed at Woodchuck. If things could damper down in the evening, lodgers could have a beer, enjoy comraderie, or smoke the occasional joint (assuming the place does not get busted). Those of us who have responsible jobs and are simply hiking a section can't afford to get crosswise with drunk or stoned kids. Folks can afford the increased rate for decent quality of service. Cheaper than a hotel room

Quote Originally Posted by D2maine View Post
    charge as much as the market will support, its supply and demand and you have a right to maximize your earnings.
    I think that's the point of his question, if I'm understanding correctly. It's the age old business question - what's the shape of the demand curve. And it is a hard business because the more affluent older people, like many retirees, will opt for private accommodations and the younger people are very price sensitive. One thing going for him might be a location early in the trail for NOBOs so most will still have money.

Personally I will stay in well run, clean hostels and I'm willing to pay around $30 at the most for a bunk, wifi and shower and expect to pay more for laundry, shuttles, food, and everything else. If I have to pay substantially more than $30 for a shared lodging, I'm very likely to seek a private room even if it is twice the cost or more. In other words, I have the money for private lodging but like to save some money when I can, but it has to be substantial enough to make sense.

$45 isn't bad if it is a well run hostel and you get laundry (worth $5) and a very good breakfast (worth $10+). In that case, the bed itself is valued at around $30 which is fine for a climate controlled clean hostel that isn't terribly noisy. IMHO.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I think that's the point of his question, if I'm understanding correctly. It's the age old business question - what's the shape of the demand curve. And it is a hard business because the more affluent older people, like many retirees, will opt for private accommodations and the younger people are very price sensitive. One thing going for him might be a location early in the trail for NOBOs so most will still have money.

Personally I will stay in well run, clean hostels and I'm willing to pay around $30 at the most for a bunk, wifi and shower and expect to pay more for laundry, shuttles, food, and everything else. If I have to pay substantially more than $30 for a shared lodging, I'm very likely to seek a private room even if it is twice the cost or more. In other words, I have the money for private lodging but like to save some money when I can, but it has to be substantial enough to make sense.

$45 isn't bad if it is a well run hostel and you get laundry (worth $5) and a very good breakfast (worth $10+). In that case, the bed itself is valued at around $30 which is fine for a climate controlled clean hostel that isn't terribly noisy. IMHO.
    Pretty much my thoughts.

Even great place like the bivvi in breckenridge is $49 this yr. And they will discount 10% if you call and ask i recall.

I frequently get hotel rooms instead of sketchy hostels. $ isnt a real concern, id rather enjoy myself.

Quote Originally Posted by steady123 View Post
    Maybe a curfew of some sort would make Larry's more attractive. $45 a night with actually getting a good night's sleep would be attractive.... Those of us who have responsible jobs and are simply hiking a section can't afford to get crosswise with drunk or stoned kids. Folks can afford the increased rate for decent quality of service. Cheaper than a hotel room
    I agree with this. I'm 57, and I don't want to party with 20 yr olds or risk my job being in a place that condones illegal drug use. I don't have anything against those who want to smoke marijuana, but I don't want to be around it. Similarly, I don't want to be around drunks. I try to avoid trouble like the plague, and if I sense that i'm at a place that can get rowdy and invite attention from the police, then I don't go.
    Guess it depends on what type of crowd you want to attract.

Journal Entries

The feedback about the price, and I never stayed at your place, though stopped by on my thru in 2013 and again in 2015 ending a section and waiting for a pickup at your place, chatting and eating on the porch.

It, even at $45pp seems very high for a bunk hostel. In the range for a single room, high for a double room ($45x2).

Now I know supply and demand and also that the number of hikers are increasing, so that may account for some of that. Also perhaps the prices for thru hiking accommodations is approaching that of regular accommodations, I don't know. I also have not looked at the alternatives in Damascus since my thru.

Now if you want to make your place a more high end place, which it seems to be with the bundled services, and if I'm reading it correctly, snacks, dinner and breakfast, that does add value. However that all in all BnB style may not fit well in Damascus due to the numerous alternatives around that soem may want to explore - the model you propose may be better suited to a more isolated hostel, not one in one of the most well known trail towns on the AT.

I have also since hiked the Camino (in Spain) and stays there are a bit cheaper then that on the AT.

Also as I spoke with you, you mentioned your faith and how hiking has helped you, and there are hikers that need a helping hand extended, need to hear your stories, and it would be a shame if they were priced out. Is the hostel more of a business or your mission? That's a question for you and God to work out or to have worked out.

Perhaps a dual level model may work with a lower priced bunk style stay and a higher priced private, semi private room setup. That one seems to work well in many hostels.

-

IMO a hostel would be priced like airlines, most chain hotels etc - supply and demand

- during peak times charge the full 45 and mostly sell out, also no work for stay, why give away what can be sold out - if you can hire a hiker for a week or 2 at a time during the rush that is different, you get a much better value than the usual work done for stay

- in the slower times go slow as 30 and allow work for stay, if you will unlikely fill up

- basically do not ever expect to make money on a business that is run like a hobby

Larry I will stop by and visit you for sure. Will I pay 45 to stay? Probably not. If it's a double occupancy room maybe. A bunk with a bunch of people? No.

I've read a lot of trail journals and one thing that stands out is people regretting paying for a hostel. Why? Too noisy from either people being loud or having a loud snorer sharing their sleep space.

I would pay $45 if it were a double. As in $45 for a room with 2 single beds, or if I were to take my wife I would pay $45 for us to share a double bed. I would not pay $50 though and I would probably not pay $45 if it were just a single room.
    IMO:
    $10 for tenting
    $20 for bunk
    $35 for private
    $45 for double
    These would be my max prices for stay. You cant not bundle in wifi and TV because you will have a common room with these things in it.
    Itemize all purchases per amenity that each hiker needs.
    $5 for laundry, snack items paid for individually.

I would not promote any drug or alcohol use as it could turn away possible customers. A drunk isn't going to be turned away by a no drinking sign. He will do what he wants. A non drinker may keep walking if he sees a bunch of drinkers laughing it up with the hostel owner on the front porch.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Larry #1 View Post
    Crazy Larry's Hostel new price is $45 per person per night now. This includes lots of food and snacks, best Wi-Fi in Damascus-that's a fact, Smart TV in the Hiker Room-you have to be smart to operate the thing and I am not, breakfast, laundry, mail drops-anyone can have their mail sent to pick up-there is no requirement to stay, free parking for guests who want to take off hiking for a bit, HVAC.

I edited this from the original post. I will not charge $60 a night but I am increasing by $5 this year and another $5 next

Price is sometimes negotiable as well depending on how well you can haggle for a doable budget that you have set for yourself......

Attention druggies and alcoholics find another spot..........
    Hope I get a good and fair discussion about this......
    I know one thing I am just going to play this by ear for a bit.................

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    60 bucks, even with food is significantly higher then the other options in town. That's in the ball park of the B+B's in town.

At that price you'll drive out all but the most affluent hikers or those who are desperate for a place to stay at any price since everywhere else is full up. That will keep the riff raft out for sure, but could limit your clientele.
    The heck you say, bs.............. yeah it will keep the bad apples away and that is exactly what I want. I have spent years reaching out to these troubled souls and I will continue to do so but not at my business

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by D2maine View Post
    charge as much as the market will support, its supply and demand and you have a right to maximize your earnings.
    Yep I agree.......

Besides artist David Hunt painted a pic of Crazy Larry's and it is sweet, ask Lone Wolf. We are going to make prints and sell them. Osprey packs and the town of Damascus may help me market them. David painted my buddy Barb's Osprey into it and I attempted to make contact with them today. I cannot share it publicly right now

Journal Entries
    Images

[QUOTE=kestral;2203616]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    doing "drugs responsibly" will turn potential guests away

”drugs responsibly “ might bring unwanted attention from law enforcement or folks looking to buy said drugs. Possibly not the environment you are looking for.

good luck with your venture! Always great to have options.
    Let me inform you of one thing that you may not be aware of the cops can and have walked in here anytime they wanted too. This is a public business they have that right. Besides I am known to bring on unwanted attention to myself pretty dang good so I am use to it. And I might run for council one of these days so we can work on legalizing pot!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by steady123 View Post
    Maybe a curfew of some sort would make Larry's more attractive. $45 a night with actually getting a good night's sleep would be attractive. When I was in Damascus, Larry's was loud and pot stenchy at night. We stayed at Woodchuck. If things could damper down in the evening, lodgers could have a beer, enjoy comraderie, or smoke the occasional joint (assuming the place does not get busted). Those of us who have responsible jobs and are simply hiking a section can't afford to get crosswise with drunk or stoned kids. Folks can afford the increased rate for decent quality of service. Cheaper than a hotel room
    Things have changed since you have been here..... But since there is lesser of a possibility of running into stoned and drunk kids at my place than there are in the woods that you walk in it maybe safer at Woodchucker's

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post

And we did the math and $45 ain't cutting it if I am going to pay for good help and run a clean joint..... while putting money in the bank. This boy is tired of living under the poverty line. And this ain't the only rod I got in the fire, I also [plan on opening a couple of other hostels on the Trans Am bike route.....something to do until I kick off of this bucket of rocks we call earth

Journal Entries
    Images

Getting my B&B license Thursday, upgraded from Hotel.......

And we did the math and $45 ain't cutting it if I am going to pay for good help and run a clean joint..... while putting money in the bank. This boy is tired of living under the poverty line. And this ain't the only rod I got in the fire, I also [plan on opening a couple of other hostels on the Trans Am bike route.....something to do until I kick off of this bucket of rocks we call earth
    Well, if you can't make it on $45 why are you planning on charging $45? Did I miss, or have you edited, a post?
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    Well, if you can't make it on $45 why are you planning on charging $45? Did I miss, or have you edited, a post?
    Just shooting the crap about it right now but I have settled on $50

-

so you are losing money operating one hostel and the plan is to open more........

to somehow make money?????

you state "this is the price unless you haggle"

again, as I said before in this thread - if you want success do not run a business like a hobby

this is very confusing...

Crazy Larry's Hostel new price is $50 per person per night now. This includes lots of food and snacks, best Wi-Fi in Damascus-that's a fact, Smart TV in the Hiker Room-you have to be smart to operate the thing and I am not, breakfast, laundry, mail drops-anyone can have their mail sent to pick up-there is no requirement to stay, free parking for guests who want to take off hiking for a bit, HVAC.
    This is standard stuff, other than the breakfast/laundry and other foods. I personally would make those extras.
    If someone doesn't want food or laundry... $50 will be way too expensive for a hostel.
    If they do, they'll pay for it a la carte and you'll get your $50 that way.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++