WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Any specific training to help with knee pain from descents

I was recently doing the Georgia section. I had trained quite a bit before hand building up to my planned pack weight. I increased intensity and steepness of hikes over a couple months.

I still encountered quite a bit of knee pain that got worse after descents. Is there any specific training or exercises that I can do to help alleviate this in the future?

Default Any specific training to help with knee pain from descents

I think long descents are the hardest thing to train for if you don't live and train in the mountains.

One thing I try to do is work it so that I'm tackling a long, steep downhill on fresh legs. If that means going a bit further or setting up camp early the day before, so be it. My knees and ankles will thank me for it.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Leonidas

I used a weighted backpack and the jump boxes you find in a fair number of gyms these days. I would stagger them at different heights and go up and down them making sure to switch which leg took the decent. Seemed to help, I would start out with maybe 5 lbs in the pack and work my way up to just slightly over the weight I was planning to carry.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Journal Entries

Let it heal
    Slow down next time

And take up running

Doing plyometric jumps at gym, I once induced tendonitis around knee that took months to subside. I dont recommend that ... At least not for older folks.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-08-2018 at 21:30.

I used to end every trip with a locked knee from descending, I'm talking after 30 miles it was done. As in each step i wanted to cry. There is even a video of me hopping down humpback with my poles. Zero drops (lone peaks), knee wraps and stretching have helped me maintain my favorite past time. Just did 60 miles over 3 days from RT 60 to bear wallow, which is steep going SOBO and could have kept going. I don't credit any of the above as the sole solution. Its all 3 in concert altogether.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am taking the week off from hiking and will see if discomfort eases up.

I think muddy might be onto something about the speed. I will really focus on that on my next hikes.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I dont recommend that ... At least not for older folks.
    I'm not sure, but I think I just got called old. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by john844 View Post
    I'm not sure, but I think I just got called old. Lol
    No higher compliment.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Do you use poles? Those can help absorb some of the shock and slow you down. Of course weight has a lot to do with it too, body and/or pack. The lighter you are on your feet, the easier the load on the knees.

Personally, I do better on the really steep descents then the 9% grade stuff which goes on for miles in GA/NC. One of the reasons I don't like switch backs.

I'm really amazed I haven't worn out my knees yet but I have lost a lot of spring in my step.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Let it heal
    Slow down next time

And take up running

Doing plyometric jumps at gym, I once induced tendonitis around knee that took months to subside. I dont recommend that ... At least not for older folks.

Same here. I’ve had nothing but grief from the box jumps.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by john844 View Post
    I was recently doing the Georgia section. I had trained quite a bit before hand building up to my planned pack weight. I increased intensity and steepness of hikes over a couple months.

I still encountered quite a bit of knee pain that got worse after descents. Is there any specific training or exercises that I can do to help alleviate this in the future?
    If you are back home, I suggest you see a sports doctor to find out more about which muscles might be causing it. I have gotten very bad itp which is the muscle on the side of the knee. With exercise and a foam roller, it has improved each time. I hope you get relief and can strengthen the muscles to have less pain.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Just love being outside, not sure why. 765 AT miles done (2014-2018), many more to go.

My opinion is that there is nothing you can do, exercise wise, to make the pain go away. On a thru hike almost any body part trouble will be made better by hiking. Legs, ankles, shoulders, backs even some feet problems can be made better by hiking. Not knees, you will never hear a story about how hiking 2 thousand miles made the knees better. So forget exercise, go for "pain management" and a lighter pack. One of the things that some people do is have rest breaks on the big downhills.

Poles. They take significant force from the knees.

More damage than good can be done by training.
    Use poles.
    Never jump/jog/run downhill.
    Reduce body and pack weight.
    Stay hydrated.
    Apply curd to swelling.

Yes, I do use poles and they help a ton.
    Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Poles. They take significant force from the knees.

I am continuing to refine my gear to reduce weight.

I was carrying 29 lbs starting out. That included 5 days of consumables and cold weather gear.

Try to keep your knees slightly bent as you step so that your weight is carried by leg muscles rather than shock loading your knees.

Can we get some details please?
    Distance. Time. Elevation drop.
    Thanks.
    Wayne

Journal Entries

When people say old to me, I say experienced to them. I will concede that as we age, things that never bothered us before, now can cause us pain but if done in moderation can be handled without strong pain killers or surgery (unless something gets torn or damaged). I know that trekking poles help me on both the ups and downs. As pointed out in another thread, it's the downs that cause the most damaged. Take your time and learned to use trekking poles to absorb and carry a lot of your weight. Of course carrying a light pack helps, as long as people don't go stupidiot light. Don't let someone else dictate what you need to carry, because if everyone was the same, we wouldn't need such a wide selection of gear, as everyone would go for the same equipment. This is just my opinion, your mileage may vary.
    Blackheart

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Can we get some details please?
    Distance. Time. Elevation drop.
    Thanks.
    Wayne
    Wayne, I have heard the average elevation gain and loss is 9%.
    Blackheart

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++