Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Visa question

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Berlin, Germany

    Default Visa question

    Hi fellow foreigners,

    I am planning a thru-hike next year. I know I need a visum to visit the US. As far as I know I only can get one for 6 month. I hope I will make it in this time but what if not? It takes some time to get to the southern terminus. Maybe acclimate 2 days runnig some errands .... And also getting of the trail from Katahdyn... Illness what so ever... Are there some Germans here in this forum who dealt with that? How did you guys handled it. Is there a way to get a 7 or 8 month visa?
    any advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated


  2. #2


    I believe you can request an extension: From the USCIS Website

    If you want to extend your stay in the United States, you must file a request with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on the Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status before your authorized stay expires. If you remain in the United States longer than authorized, you may be barred from returning and/or you may be removed (deported) from the United States. Check the date in the lower right-hand corner of your Form I-94, Arrival-Departure Record, to determine the date your authorized stay expires. We recommend that you apply to extend your stay at least 45 days before your authorized stay expires.
    You may apply to extend your stay if:

    • You were lawfully admitted into the United States with a nonimmigrant visa
    • Your nonimmigrant visa status remains valid
    • You have not committed any crimes that make you ineligible for a visa
    • You have not violated the conditions of your admission
    • Your passport is valid and will remain valid for the duration of your stay

    You may not apply to extend your stay if you were admitted to the United States in the following categories:

    • Visa Waiver Program
    • Crew member (D nonimmigrant visa)
    • In transit through the United States (C nonimmigrant visa)
    • In transit through the United States without a visa (TWOV)
    • Fiancé of a U.S. citizen or dependent of a fiancé (K nonimmigrant visa)
    • Informant (and accompanying family) on terrorism or organized crime (S nonimmigrant visa)

    For information on how to apply, see the “How Do I: Guides for Nonimmigrants”.
    Trail Miles: 3,918.6 - AT Trips: 70
    AT Map 1 Completion: 2004.8 - AT Map 2 Completion: 265.0

  3. #3
    OffGrid BowGal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Ontario, 🇨🇦


    This won’t answer your question, but as a Canadian wanting to hike next year, I’ve had to do some homework.
    I don’t require a visa to visit US, but I cannot stay beyond 182 days. I contacted U.S. Customs and Border Protection's (CBP). They told me there is no easy way to extend my trip...even if it’s only a week.
    I’ve also been told that when we cross into the US (Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan), and have the discussion with border agents why I’m coming to the US and why I’m staying for six months I have to demonstrate that I’m financially able to support myself while travelling, that I have travel insurance.
    I guess why the red tape is to ensure I’m not going to somehow not return back to Canada or become a financial risk while in the US.
    So us driving to Georgia from Canada unfortunately lops off 3-4 days off my maximum 182 days. Fortunately, should I make it to Katahdin, it’s only a few hours to New Brunswick.
    We don’t stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking.
    - Finis Mitchell

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Journal Entries


    Just some useful info. My AT thru-hike didn't require the full 6 months. You should be able to complete it within the 6 months, though an extension would be nice for post trip matters.

++ New Posts ++

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts