WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Looks like I am late and my popcorn is cold
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

What is a “trail magician”? I’ve met trail angels, but never a trail magician.

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe88 View Post
    I’m driving from NOrtheast Ohio tomorrow (wedsday the 11th)to the AT. I’m looking to do magic. All responses appreciated
    Apparently not. Why don't you just say you want to.put on a hiker feed?

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe88 View Post
    Bitter bitterer bitterest it’s like dam competition for sandiest vag in here. I get u guys put in hard work n don’t have nearly enough workers but that ain’t no excuse to just talk **** on a simple forum question. I’m tryin make some people happy the way i was made happy when I did it. Keep measuring your dicks tho u guys r good at it
    I wouldn't assume that anyone commenting puts in any work. That's not to say they don't, I just wouldn't assume they do.

Images

I don't think anyone is bitter at all. Yes, many hikers would love to have ice cream at some random Trailhead. But, if you have ever hiked a trail that is not maintained then popped out on maintained trail you would find that very magical.

It sounds like you want to bring treats to people on vacation. You could just setup a table outside of cedar point and serve that purpose, much closer to your house. Better yet, feed the homeless right there in Cleveland, they need it much more than people that choose to do a multi-month vacation.

I am thinking about going to the Bahamas and buying free drinks for everyone on vacation. I am doing something magical, not. This is no different except to those getting free drinks.
    Last edited by Alligator; 04-12-2018 at 15:20. Reason: Quoted post was removed.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Joe View Post
    I wouldn't assume that anyone commenting puts in any work. That's not to say they don't, I just wouldn't assume they do.
    I have put in zero work. Not ashamed, life is young. Its on the list with minimal priority at the moment. One of my best excuses is: I wouldn't know where to start.

Kinda surprised Admin hasn't shut thread down and booted ol wannabe...Come on man clean it up a little ya filthy animal
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I don't think anyone is bitter at all. Yes, many hikers would love to have ice cream at some random Trailhead. But, if you have ever hiked a trail that is not maintained then popped out on maintained trail you would find that very magical.
    ++

To heck with food. Clean trail that allows you to take natural steps is better than sex..almost.

I realize the program is to keep the trail clear of blow downs and make hiking easier with log or stone steps, and I appreciate the work that goes into it. Nevertheless, I always get a little excited when I come to a big tree trunk in the middle of the trail. It provides a challenge different than going up and down all day.

As for the OP, geez! The guy asked a simple question and got skewered. Not very welcoming. He's only posted 17 times and is probably not aware of the raging debate on the forum about hiker feeds. Cut him some slack.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Honestly, the response to his post seemed pretty tame compared to the things he said afterward.

Edit: The mods might want to clean up Wannabe88s offensive post.
    Last edited by Puddlefish; 04-11-2018 at 11:42.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    As for the OP, geez! The guy asked a simple question and got skewered. Not very welcoming. He's only posted 17 times and is probably not aware of the raging debate on the forum about hiker feeds. Cut him some slack.
    Seriously. I’m not a fan if hiker feeds, but the OP did ask a fairly simple question. From what I gathered it sounds like a former thru or LD hiker that just wants to reconnect with this year’s class for a few hours, nothing wrong with that.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I have to admit that I don't understand the motivation of the OP. It sounds like he may have done a thru hike last year and is looking to pay back some of the free meals he received. If that is the case why does he not have a handle on where the bubble is? With a little work one can get an idea where the hikers are. Why did he wait until a day before he is planning on driving 7-10 hours one way to ask for advice? And if he has spent any time at all on this site he shouldn't have been surprised by the reaction to his post.
    More walking, less talking.

Apparently "all replies are appreciated" is not true.

As for as being "commies" (a quaint term not heard much since the 60's) I don't believe many in this forum are "commies", they are never at any of the meetings.

...no you don’t understand, bubbles is a dog!

Journal Entries

I knew a stripper named Bubbles
    Blackheart

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    I knew a stripper named Bubbles
    did NO one watch the video i linked to?

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    did NO one watch the video i linked to?
    i cannot tell a lie

What I find humorous;
    'Magician' is a derogatory term that originated at WB as far as I know.

Having started a thread kindly asking folks to redirect would be magicians to doing trail work... my thoughts are known.
    Giving back is an unselfish act; true magic. If you ain't got time- send money. If you ain't got money- send time. If you ain't got either- then vote.

But we're all human...
    If a hiker wants to reconnect... nothing wrong with swinging into a town like Hot Springs and heading over to the Spring Creek Tavern.
    Nice place for a former hiker with a few bucks to spare to head in and buy a few rounds.
    Might even find yourself strolling back to the hot springs campground and sharing a few beers with hikers around the fire.
    Might even find that just for an evening you're right back on trail under the stars sharing the fire with yer brand new oldest and dearest friends... for the night at least.

And come morning; connections, warm fuzzies, and mild headaches are yours to keep without impacting the trail.

And best of all... you get to actually slow down, form a connection, and truly visit with the people hiking the trail.
    Hard to do that when you're one among many handing off a minor treat to a passerby like some aide station worker at a marathon.

So if'n yer character requires a bit of perfectly human unselfishness... keep it off the trail and hit up a bar.
    If'n you don't like drinking... paying for spots at a hostel, hitting the all you can eat buffet and paying the tab are two nice ways to help out a fellow human and reminisce fer a time.

And if you are worried you might strike out and miss the hikers; guess that's how it was meant to work out.
    Fer me at least... seems when my heart is in the right place so am I.

The way the trail is nowadays, I don't see how you can thru-hike without some trail magic here and there....many hikers have come to depend on it to lower their pack weight, and thru-hikers are very deserving of it. What is disappointing is coming upon a feed and they have only generic soft drinks, I would recommend only Pepsi or Coca-Cola products, and water (icy cold) of course....
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

Have fun helping out and reliving your hike experience. So many on the trail I’m sure you will find thankful hikers.

some helpful things instead of just a feed? Perhaps this would be a good thread. Off the top of my head I would list

blister station with leukotape, moleskin, liner socks, ect
    trash drop off bag so hikers can drop off extra weight without guilt of littering
    q tip, maybe 6 in a little snack baggie
    refill of hand sanitizer, TP, toothpaste, camp soap, other hygiene products
    trash compactor or turkey bake bags to keep those dry things dry
    sheets of polycro for groundsheet or to use as sit pads to keep your butt dry
    large safety pins ( I’m always finding socks, sandals, shirts that seem to have fallen off packs)
    clean, filtered water to refill a water bottle
    a quickie shower or shampoo station with privacy curtain, soap and shampoo if you can find a spot that won’t pollute water source
    a warm foot bath
    live bluegrass music (well ok, but I like it)
    for food, I’ve met many who crave fresh crisp fruits and veggies

any other thoughts?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++