WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    The way the trail is nowadays, I don't see how you can thru-hike without some trail magic here and there....many hikers have come to depend on it to lower their pack weight, and thru-hikers are very deserving of it. What is disappointing is coming upon a feed and they have only generic soft drinks, I would recommend only Pepsi or Coca-Cola products, and water (icy cold) of course....
    Can somebody please explain why thru-hikers are "very deserving of it" and also the "disappointment" upon finding only drinks you don't like? I guess there is a lot that I don't understand. Maybe I am looking at it wrong. It just seems like receiving trail magic(or hiker feeds or ??) are viewed as merit badges or praise or Gold Stars?? The saying goes: Today's incentives become tomorrow's expectations. It is now "looked for" and almost expected at nearly every road crossing. I have been following several trail journals and have seen this being written down along with the disappointment of not finding any "magic" when it is expected.

A chair to sit in. I have a feeling I would appreciate that very much. I just did a weekend trip and a sit pad on a rock is not very comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    Can somebody please explain why thru-hikers are "very deserving of it" and also the "disappointment" upon finding only drinks you don't like? I guess there is a lot that I don't understand. Maybe I am looking at it wrong. It just seems like receiving trail magic(or hiker feeds or ??) are viewed as merit badges or praise or Gold Stars?? The saying goes: Today's incentives become tomorrow's expectations. It is now "looked for" and almost expected at nearly every road crossing. I have been following several trail journals and have seen this being written down along with the disappointment of not finding any "magic" when it is expected.
    I may have misread, but my interpretation was that Last Call's tongue was firmly in cheek for that post.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    I may have misread, but my interpretation was that Last Call's tongue was firmly in cheek for that post.
    You could very well be correct. If so, I apologize to Last Call, however, I still contend that there seems to be many expectations of trail magic, which to me removes the "magic".

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe88 View Post
    I’m driving from NOrtheast Ohio tomorrow (wedsday the 11th)to the AT. I’m looking to do magic. Trying to find info on how far south the bubbles r! Was thinking southern VA..anyone have info on where is good this early in the season? All responses appreciated
    The bubble is currently about 500 miles long and will be almost 700 miles long by the by the time the tail of it finishes starting. If you can't find it I really don't know what to say

you may already be on the road and miss this, but head south of Shenandoah and you'll find hikers. The simplest can be be best. Find a road crossing that is 5 to 10 miles from town and give a few folks a ride to town and back. Some of the best magic is a clean shelter. Hike in to 2 or 3 shelters with a new broom and pack out the trash. A can of mountain dew is great, but a clean shelter is heaven.

Journal Entries

Last Call's comment may have been a joke, but you can never tell nowadays. We have discussed the attitude if "entitled hikers", (Last call believe me I am not calling you one), and how they think they should find "trail magic" at least once a daily if not more. Also some people think that they have to have the name brand products, but if they new the truth, 98% of all store brand products are just relabeled name brand products. No difference in production process. The only thing that can not be changed in this manner is beer and liquors due to federal and state regulations.

Kestral listed some good ideas for a different style of trail magic. I use horse blanket safety pins to secure things like sandals, socks etc as they are big enough to hold a loy of things individually.
    Blackheart

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++