Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
The way the trail is nowadays, I don't see how you can thru-hike without some trail magic here and there....many hikers have come to depend on it to lower their pack weight, and thru-hikers are very deserving of it. What is disappointing is coming upon a feed and they have only generic soft drinks, I would recommend only Pepsi or Coca-Cola products, and water (icy cold) of course....
Can somebody please explain why thru-hikers are "very deserving of it" and also the "disappointment" upon finding only drinks you don't like? I guess there is a lot that I don't understand. Maybe I am looking at it wrong. It just seems like receiving trail magic(or hiker feeds or ??) are viewed as merit badges or praise or Gold Stars?? The saying goes: Today's incentives become tomorrow's expectations. It is now "looked for" and almost expected at nearly every road crossing. I have been following several trail journals and have seen this being written down along with the disappointment of not finding any "magic" when it is expected.