WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Trail magicians SEEK BUBBLES

I’m driving from NOrtheast Ohio tomorrow (wedsday the 11th)to the AT. I’m looking to do magic. Trying to find info on how far south the bubbles r! Was thinking southern VA..anyone have info on where is good this early in the season? All responses appreciated

Images

Do you have any particular state that you want to help with trail maintenance or will any do?
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

I can’t do maintenance. I just have couple days off between a job switch n wanted hook up some hikertrash

The Red River Gorge Trail Crew meets on the second Saturday of every month. You can google to get the webpage and the US Forest Ranger, Stanton District, will send out notices 2 weeks in advance of where we're meeting. All are welcome, and maintenance usually goes from 9-4pm. There are several who drive down from Columbus, OH. You could come down on Friday, camp that night, work Saturday, drive back Sunday. It'd be great fun.
    We clear brush, repair log bridges, and do pretty much anything the Ranger tells us needs to be done. He provides safety gear and all tools, too.

I would like to help out but I have to b back by Saturday night. I just wanted to shoot down n get back home. Tryin to see how far south I need to b to catch the hikers

The trail is always there and always needs work. Doesnt matter where the hikers are.

Stay home. Don’t waste any gasoline. Estimate your expenses and round up a bit. Send a check to a trail maintenance group.
    Thanks!
    Wayne

Well if all of y’all aren’t a sorry bunch of commies then idk what is. I specifically ask about doin some simple stuff it turns into work or stay home. I bet most of you think ur **** don’t stink too

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe88 View Post
    Well if all of y’all aren’t a sorry bunch of commies then idk what is. I specifically ask about doin some simple stuff it turns into work or stay home. I bet most of you think ur **** don’t stink too
    To be honest there's a lot of trail magic out there right now. I'd be shocked if most hikers in GA/NC/TN are going more than a few days without seeing some. Sometimes every day and in some locations 2 times a day. Its pretty saturated. There's going to be dozens and dozens of people crossing roads at every point from GA to central SW VA now. Its really busy in Hampton where I am. Just pick a crossing if you really want. You're going to meet hikers.

Why not call a hostel or two and pay for a few random hikers's stay? That would be pretty neat. Donating to local trail organizations like TEHCC is even better. They use unpaid labor and their own tools to keep the trial beautiful.

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

anywhere from nc to pa...you'll make people happy! and you'll do what ~you~ want to do. not what others here are trying to force you to do.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffordbarnabus View Post
    anywhere from nc to pa...you'll make people happy! and you'll do what ~you~ want to do. not what others here are trying to force you to do.
    Blasphemy! 👍😄😎
    But seriously. There is a train of thought at WhiteBlaze that goes something like: Trail Magic is detrimental to the locations where folks set up their Magic. Trash may not be cleaned up. Parking can be scarce where dirt roads cross the trail. Etc.
    Meanwhile, the real work of trail maintenance goes begging for lack of volunteers.
    A quick search of WhiteBlaze for Trail Magic will yield both sides of the story.
    Have fun with your Magic!
    Wayne

Journal Entries

Wannabe88,

What you want to do can be viewed two different ways. One is from the hikers point of view in that most are great full for anything you may be offering. Another is that it leads to congestion to the point of causing damage to the area you set up in. You said you were in NE Ohio, which puts you in an area close to the Buckeye Trail. It is a loop of Ohio around 1300+ miles. You could help out on a local trail a lot easier than traveling to meet the bubble of the AT. You are coming up on a busy time for the local trail clubs to do work weekends without traveling too far. What you want to do can be done close to home. Good luck.
    Blackheart

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

i like to assume the best in people. therefore, i will assume wannabe88 is going to pull rabbits out of hats, and clean up before departure. and there will be hikers who will fondly remember wannabe88 and wannabe88 will fondly remember hikers. and all human interactions will be mutually beneficial.

You know whats magical? Cleaned out water bars. Rock stair cases. Cut up blow downs. Brushed out trails. Bog bridges. Repaied erosion spots. You will be doing God’s work on the trail.

You know what isn’t magical? Feeding people on vacation.

there is no magic anymore. it's just feeds for folks that don't need feedin'

Freedom first. Go do your trail magic but please clean up when your done. Drop a check to the ATC or better yet which ever group maintains the section your going to. Not everyone can get out and do trail work, which is too bad but everyone can spare a few latte's to help fund the effort.

To answer the question you asked, the middle of the bubble will be around Hot Springs NC this time of year, but if you set up somewhere between Damascus and Atkins VA you will catch the northern-most part of the bubble and there will be some NOBO thru-hikers passing by every day.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

And thank u to those that aren’t recruiters

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe88 View Post
    And thank u to those that aren’t recruiters
    i dont think anyone was recruiting you.

if youre looking to be altruistic and give back to the community they are rightly suggesting better ways for you to do so. in a sense, thats assuming the best of your intentions.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++