WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    If you have a good knife, use a jig that holds blade at proper angle to sharpen. If you dont, your just ruining your blade.

The sharpest most knives ever are, is day they are bought.
    You don’t need a jig if you have some skill.

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    back when I was a teenager and a hunter, I used to sharpen my knives just for something to do, while watching tv and such....I'd strop them on the back of an old leather belt. Those suckers were way sharper than when they were new, would shave my arm with them....

...and that old saying about a sharp knife being a safe knife..... from 1st hand experience I do not agree.
    Well, the wounds from sharp knives heal better than the woulds from duller knives.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    Well, the wounds from sharp knives heal better than the woulds from duller knives.
    The sharpest blades of all are made from obsidian, and some surgeons use obsidian scalpels. A quote from the following article:

“Under the microscope, you could see the obsidian scalpel had divided individual cells in half, and next to it, the steel scalpel incision looked like it had been made by a chainsaw.”

https://www.cnn.com/2015/04/02/healt...ian/index.html

For hiking I carry a tiny Gerber Dime microtool. Small and light and since I really doubt I will be getting into a knife fight I am happy with it.
    Seriously, what will I need to cut? Some rope or string?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
    For hiking I carry a tiny Gerber Dime microtool. Small and light and since I really doubt I will be getting into a knife fight I am happy with it.
    Seriously, what will I need to cut? Some rope or string?
    More likely defective mountain house bag with no tear slot.

At least thats all ive ever cut

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    The sharpest blades of all are made from obsidian, and some surgeons use obsidian scalpels. A quote from the following article:

“Under the microscope, you could see the obsidian scalpel had divided individual cells in half, and next to it, the steel scalpel incision looked like it had been made by a chainsaw.”

https://www.cnn.com/2015/04/02/healt...ian/index.html

natures atomic jig...the concoildal fracture

If you have a good knife, use a jig that holds blade at proper angle to sharpen. If you dont, your just ruining your blade.

Sounds like someone ran into a successful jig salesman.

Yeah not true there. I've been freehand sharpening my knives since my grandpa showed me when I was a kid. Be would up you on one with sharpening knives he only had one hand at that never used a jig a day in his life. I also know plenty of pro knife makers personal friends they don't use jigs either, they are some of the sharpest blades I've ever seen
    "Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

By Doug Larson

I’ve spent a lifetime in restaurants, most often when people are cut it was with a dull knife. Usually only an amateur cook has dull knives.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleTim View Post
    As one whom is still in the industry, has been for just over 2 decades, I'll say that a quarter of the guys keep them relatively sharp, over half keep them barely usably sharp, and the rest are divided into razor sharp and stupidly dull, depending on the caliber of establishment/team your discussing.

My definition of relatively sharp is miles ahead of what most homes have in their inventory though, so grading on a curve here too. Most straight blade disposable razors are not what I would even qualify as razor sharp. Razor sharp is a thing of great beauty, reserved for scalpels , slicing knives, carving knives and sushi knives. And is rarely seen.

If you're free handing steel on stone at least once a week, you'll eventually get good enough to consistently get a relatively sharp edge. To get razor, either use a jig or have an uncompromising dedication to perfection. I personally use a jig (Lansky system that is 17 years old now, on 3rd set of stones). It yields a mirror polished bevel finish that is good for about 10 prime ribs on a carving station without any refreshing, and with the established bevel angle it refreshes with only a stroke of a diamond impregnated steel.
    Totally agree

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++