WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Same reason folks skip the logical approach (and departure trails up Katahdin from the east side.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    ..... Why in the world the AT has not been changed to terminate at the arch behind the visitor center is beyond me
    Agreed! The approach trail is worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Same reason folks skip the logical approach (and departure trails up Katahdin from the east side.
    Actually it needs to be officially extended to Flagg Mountain, Alabama....
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

Quote Originally Posted by Countyline View Post
    I get that and that has been the debate rolling around in my head for months. But I want to make it to the NOC in 13 days with one Zero and one Nero. Not sure I could pull that off if I do the approach trail.
    Where and why do you want to do a zero? Is the zero more important than the approach trail?

If you are in decent shape and have a reasonably light weight pack 13 days to NOC should be very easy. Amicalola is a beautiful section of the hike I can't see why you would skip it.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulWorksHard View Post
    Where and why do you want to do a zero? Is the zero more important than the approach trail?

If you are in decent shape and have a reasonably light weight pack 13 days to NOC should be very easy. Amicalola is a beautiful section of the hike I can't see why you would skip it.
    This will be my first attempt at a hike of this length since I was a much younger man. I've only been able to do dry runs of 2 or 3 days at the most. So it's not so much that I "want" a zero as much as I think I will "need" the zero.

From where I sit, you are still a "much younger" man. You won't know your capabilitiies until you get out there and try. Should you fall short of your goal, you can always find a shuttler to help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by Countyline View Post
    This will be my first attempt at a hike of this length since I was a much younger man. I've only been able to do dry runs of 2 or 3 days at the most. So it's not so much that I "want" a zero as much as I think I will "need" the zero.
    It is your hike so zero when you feel you need/want it. There is no particular reason to do the approach trail so do what you feel comfortable with. If you want to skip to have that extra day for your hike it sounds like you have a good plan.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Joe View Post
    I know BigFoot covered this in a video and apparently it would literally take an act of Congress to move it.
    If there were a good reason, a normal Congress would rubber-stamp it. (The last couple or three sessions haven't been normal, they've been two groups of great apes screaming at each other and flinging poo across the aisle. It doesn't seem to matter who has the majority.)

I seem to recall reading that the original rationale was that getting to the Trail should be a miniature adventure all by itself - that's why both ends are on mountain tops. If the architects intended it to be otherwise, they'd have laid it out the way the architects of the Northville-Placid did - from train station to train station. (Neither station is still in service; the one in Northville is now under the waters of Great Sacandaga Lake.) Even when the Trail started at Mount Oglethorpe and included today's Approach Trail, it started at the summit, not the highway.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++