WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Early Start on the CT Thru-hike.

Whiteblaze forum users,

I am planning for my first thru-hike of the Colorado Trail. I am thinking that I would like to start it early if possible for several reasons. I live in Durango and I know that much of the state had low amounts of snow last winter which means sections could be passable earlier depending on the next few months of weather. Getting an early start means potentially being able to hike further before the rainy season hits, more possible water sources, and cooler weather. Also, I am eager to get going.

On the CT website there is in article on how to gauge when the different parts of the trail will be passable based on Snowtel data, http://www.coloradotrail.org/snowandweather.html. There are weather sensors set up at various places in the Rocky Mountains to keep track of snow depth. My plan now is watch these numbers and go as soon it is recommended.

Has anyone tried this method or an early start on the CT? Are there other methods of gauging when it is realistic to start a CT thru-hike? Surely locals in the different parts of the trail will know when the snow is gone. I am very interested in any thoughts about or criticism of my plan, or thoughts on early starts in general! Thanks for your time.

Regards,
    Max

Journal Entries

Watch the CTF Facebook page for trail updates for people who go out and check trail conditions. Also the CDT hikers will be coming through and giving reports. It's usually possible for them. Reports of passability are geared towards your average hiker more so than your average long-distance thru hiker. Apparently a few miles of snow , and packed out Trail, kicking a few steps up to a cornice, is an insurmountable obstacle for a lot of people. To others it's actually somewhat fun.

The CTF trail reports on passability are conservative.

And keep abreast of fire restrictions as well.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-29-2018 at 12:49.

Images

I think a fairly early start of the CT is reasonable, as long as you're going Northbound. The middle of the state has been dumped on lately, meaning some of the problematic snow areas around Copper and such might be a pain in say, late June or even into early July. But the San Juans, as you know, are way below average of snowpack, so you should be able to hike 2.5 weeks or so before hitting the higher snow areas.

So, what do you mean by "early" and what direction are you thinking?

The "recommendations" from agencies like the CTF are usually very conservative. Almost guaranteed they will say to wait until July 1. Silly, IMHO. If you can start in mid June (or even slightly earlier), you should be done or close to done before our Monsoon season (typically mid July).

Of course, the snow season is far from over, the saying in CO is: "April Showers bring May Blizzards" !

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Watch the CTF Facebook page for trail updates for people who go out and check trail conditions. Also the CDT hikers will be coming through and giving reports. It's usually possible for them. Reports of passability are geared towards your average hiker more so than your average long-distance thru hiker. Apparently a few miles of snow , and packed out Trail, kicking a few steps up to a cornice, is an insurmountable obstacle for a lot of people. To others it's actually somewhat fun.

The CTF trail reports on passability are conservative.

And keep abreast of fire restrictions as well.
    Thanks for the wisdom. This answers my question perfectly. I'll watch the CTF facebook pages and see what the CDT people say.

Snowing in SE Wyoming as I type. It will probably melt off as the day warms up but the elevation is only 8,640. A quick check of a few I-70 webcams (west of Denver) shows snow there as well. Springtime in the Rockies.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    Snowing in SE Wyoming as I type. It will probably melt off as the day warms up but the elevation is only 8,640. A quick check of a few I-70 webcams (west of Denver) shows snow there as well. Springtime in the Rockies.
    Yup, snowing like crazy here in CO, ski areas are extending their season, still, an early start going NOBO might still work. Unless you're fine with lots of annoying snow travel, I wouldn't count on starting before mid June going SOBO, as the areas in summit county (Breckenridge, Copper areas) are getting hammered, and got lots of extra snowpack in April as well.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I think a fairly early start of the CT is reasonable, as long as you're going Northbound. The middle of the state has been dumped on lately, meaning some of the problematic snow areas around Copper and such might be a pain in say, late June or even into early July. But the San Juans, as you know, are way below average of snowpack, so you should be able to hike 2.5 weeks or so before hitting the higher snow areas.

So, what do you mean by "early" and what direction are you thinking?

The "recommendations" from agencies like the CTF are usually very conservative. Almost guaranteed they will say to wait until July 1. Silly, IMHO. If you can start in mid June (or even slightly earlier), you should be done or close to done before our Monsoon season (typically mid July).

Of course, the snow season is far from over, the saying in CO is: "April Showers bring May Blizzards" !
    It snowed in Durango last night so I guess that's true. It's good, the entire southwest of America definitely needs moisture right now!

I forgot to make those distinctions. I am pretty set on my SOBO plan. Northbound could be fun too, though. My start date is very flexible. I just don't want to be spending very much time post-holing or have difficulty route-finding because everything is covered. The latest I will go will be the first of July. I can leave as early as the 18th of June if I wanted to.

Segments 6, 7, 8 could be troublesome depending on when I leave. I hear the Collegiate Range is relatively free right now as well as the San Juans.

Appreciate, your input.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Yup, snowing like crazy here in CO, ski areas are extending their season, still, an early start going NOBO might still work. Unless you're fine with lots of annoying snow travel, I wouldn't count on starting before mid June going SOBO, as the areas in summit county (Breckenridge, Copper areas) are getting hammered, and got lots of extra snowpack in April as well.
    Thanks for the update! I love the magic of snow.

I'll be heading to Segments 15 through 19 this week. I'll let you know conditions when I get back. Snow levels are very low, which is why we are trying such an early trip this year.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CO Native View Post
    I'll be heading to Segments 15 through 19 this week. I'll let you know conditions when I get back. Snow levels are very low, which is why we are trying such an early trip this year.
    We just drove back from that area yesterday, yep, sure looks like very low snow in those sections, at least as viewed form US285 along the east side of there. Please do report in, we might hit that area in a couple weeks ourselves.

Yesterday I hiked a few miles of Section 15, north of Marshall Pass, on my way to climb the 13er, Chipeta Mountain. Still some deep drifts that were frozen early in the morning - that only slowed me down a little. On the return however, I elected to take the high ridge that goes near Mt.Ouray, to avoid the inevitable knee-torqueing postholing mess in the warm afternoon. Anyway, Chipeta really has quite the view, being a very prominent, well-positioned peak, at the half way point of the CT. You can get an idea of conditions on Sections 4 through 23 from one place. Amazing. From my vantage point on the summit, the Lost Creek Wilderness looked dry. Summit County still has plenty - heck I just skied a 16" dump at A-Basin two weeks ago, which is very close to Section 6. The CT/Collegiate East looked pretty dry, but CT/Collegiate West has decent snow. Cochetopa Hills and La Garitas appear very dry, but the distant San Juans looked to have more snow that I expected given the low snow winter and drought they're in.

Tried to edit this last post ^ Couldn't figure it out. Anyway, I got to thinking, just in case anybody was inspired to hike up Chipeta Mountain themselves, it should be noted that the name was changed last year. So all maps are now dated and wrong - they call it by its elevation ... (Unnamed) 13,472. It's neighboring 12er is listed as Chipeta Mtn. Whoever decides such things, renamed those two. The taller 13er is now Chipeta Mountain, and the lesser 12er is now South Chipeta. It's confusing, but the end result is more appropriate.

Default Current conditions

Sorry for the delay in posting the conditions from our trip. We've had 3 search and rescue calls since I got back. Just because it's warm and low snow this year doesn't mean you shouldn't still be careful, watch yourselves out there.

Anyway...

We were probably hiking the driest portion of the trail in the state, and snow was still an issue. At least from Monarch Pass (where we started) to about 5 miles after Marshall Pass. We did break a lot of trail, but some portions we caught when they were still frozen so there is a lot of trail left to be broken still. We lost the trail a few times, but were generally able to find the route. South faces were almost totally clear while north faces were still completely covered. Above treeline we hit a couple of 10 to 20 foot tall drifts with unstable cornices. We just circumnavigated these.

Tree blowdown hasn't been terrible this year, but with all the beetle kill it's still an issue that slows your progress down often. At lower elevations we saw a lot of trailwork done already to remedy the problem.

We saw fresh bear tracks so the bears are out and about already. We didn't see any though and had no issues with our bear hangs.

One night we camped in a low valley and the cold air collected there. I don't know what temperature it hit, but my half full liter bottle mostly froze overnight even though it was inside the tent with me. Make sure you sleep with your filters if you are using a type that cannot freeze (sawyer squeeze, gravity works, lifestraw, etc.).

Here is a video from our trip if you want to take the time:

Feel free to contact me with any questions.

++ New Posts ++