WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Finished MD

Default Finished MD

I can only arrange two trips a year and can't manage many miles so it took me two years to finish the section though MD. The last trip from Pen Mar south was wet and cold with flooded streams but I managed to stay dry enough.

My next trip I want to start from Pen Mar and head north into PA. I think I can make it to the Tumbling Run shelters the first day with some effort but I like to keep my second day short as I'm pretty worn out. I can't see on the maps any place where I would be able to leave a car parked until getting to Caledonia state park which is about ten miles from the Shelter. Are there any places between Tumbling Run and Caledonia where one can leave a car over night?

Per Guthook: PA233, Rocky Mountain Road,dirt parking lot with space for several cars

It is at mile 1112

Perfect. Thank you.

Uh oh, didn’t read the comments in Guthook that said this spot is now blockfc and closed. Sorry!!

Hey neighbor, you will love going Nobo in that area, did my first week starting at Rt16. Its pretty easy hiking, I started at noon and had no issue making Tumbling Run by 3pm. Anyway, I have spare Michaux SF maps is you want to make that run up Rt2 or Riva Rd, I'm near the DMV.

Doesn't it take like a day to do Maryland?

Dam, just realized EDGEWOOD not EDGEWATER...duh. Offer still stands if you're down this way.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    May want to do some research. It is 42 miles thru MD, and is a pretty good teaser for what a lot of PA feels like rock wise. A lot of thru hikers try and do it in 1 day, called the 4 state challenge which usually ends up being more like 50 some odd miles. Great way to hurt yourself halfway thru a successful thru hike.

Even at that, folks have different daily mileage, and trip expectations. Its not a race
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Snowy Mountain Road has room for a couple cars. Just not sure about leaving a car there overnight. You might want to check out this website, has great info on AT parking. http://rohland.homedns.org I use it a lot to plan my section hikes.

I’m not a thru hiker but I did do the section in less than a day... it’s a great part of the trail.

To the OP, check out South Mountain Hotel nearby the intersection of 233

I can't do MD in a day. Too out of shape to even try and I only average about 1 mph sometimes nearing 2 mph depending on how many rocks are pointing up out the trail and its steepness. (The two to three hour drive home after a long (for me) hike can be a challenge.)

Crossup, thanks for the offer of the map but I will pass. I don't often get down that way.

I came across PA's Department of Public Resources website and they indicate two parking areas near the trail around rt 233. The satellite images show at least one car parked in one of the lots. I will need to see if I can find the date on the image.

Thanks for the help so far.

Took me almost two days. It is around 40 miles so few hikers will do it in a day.

Images

Pretty rude and judgmental comment.

I'm with you 1-2 mph is a fine pace, you get to actually see things and experience the trail rather than a hurried blur of green tunnel- the important thing is getting out there.

It looks like you can get a PDF map of the area, so if you can print that out you're good but if you'd like a printed copy PM me your address and I send you a usable but worn copy as I see no way to order one online.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikerfixit View Post

Crossup, thanks for the offer of the map but I will pass. I don't often get down that way.

I came across PA's Department of Public Resources website and they indicate two parking areas near the trail around rt 233. The satellite images show at least one car parked in one of the lots. I will need to see if I can find the date on the image.

Thanks for the help so far.

I day hiked from Pen Mar to Caledonia a couple years ago. There were turnouts at several of the road crossings

I'm planning a 4 day trip to do that section the week of May 1st. I am out of shape and want to enjoy myself so I'm going slow.

Wishing you the best in PA. We found the southern section to be a faster hike than what we thought. The rocks do not start until about 90 miles in from Penmar. Enjoy!!!

++ New Posts ++