WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Finishing Up the AT NOBO - Need Recommendations

I'm a LASHer and hope to finish the AT this year. I'm at the end of planning the hike from Wind Gap, PA to Katahdin and find myself with some questions I hope some of the forum members can answer.

So, my itinerary has me exiting the 100 mile wilderness and staying at the White House Landing Camps one night (mile 2145), Rainbow Stream Lean-to (mile 2160) the next night and then I'm stuck. I would like to slack pack the last part of the trail and in particular, up Katahdin. This presents some questions:

1. Is my end strategy realistic or should I continue hiking further before checking into a hostel for slackpacking the last miles and Katahdin?
    2. According to Awol's Guide, it looks like there are not too many choices for hostels at the end. I'm going for a hostel, because they usually offer slackpacking. One candidate is The Appalachian Trail Lodge in Millinocket. I read a review of the Lodge on Guthook and the place did not sound too inviting; although the prices seem right. Any comments on the Lodge or suggestions about other places to stay that can offer slackpacking?
    3. Last is the most important. I live in Florida. How the heck do I get home? In other words, I'm guessing I have to take a combination of shuttles and/or busses to a major city for a flight home. How would I do that?

As always, thanks for your suggestions, recommendations and help.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

The AT Lodge is excellent. Ole Man is a great friend to ATers and the AT.
    If you want to slack-pack the 100, call Shaws in Monson. They'll team with AT Lodge (they're family) on the north end.
    Kathdin is a 'slack pack' as youleave your heavy gear on the Ranger's porch and use one of their day packs for the last 10.4 miles.
    Starting in September the AT Lodge runs a shuttle out to Millinocket every day at about 4 PM. You make south connections from there.
    Here's my guide to Baxter and Katahdin for Nobos, updated throughout each season:
    The Nobo’s guide to Baxter and Katahdin for 2018
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post

1. Last is the most important. I live in Florida. How the heck do I get home? In other words, I'm guessing I have to take a combination of shuttles and/or busses to a major city for a flight home. How would I do that?

As always, thanks for your suggestions, recommendations and help.
    Look into Allegiant Air out of Bangor airport. They fly non stop to your neck of the woods for under $150 bucks and sometimes much less. I've flown ME-FL with them at least a dozen times. NEVER had a problem, which is astonishing when dealing with airlines.

Based on my experiences, the AT lodge was a decent place to stay (2009 & 2012), no complaints to speak of.

Journal Entries

Last is the most important. I live in Florida. How the heck do I get home? In other words, I'm guessing I have to take a combination of shuttles and/or busses to a major city for a flight home. How would I do that?
    Turn around and walk south, easy!!

We did Katahdin and then the HMW SOBO. We reserved a lean-to at the base of Katahdin for two nights. Flew up on a Friday, rented a car, met the Ole Man who shuttled us to Baxter. Saturday we borrowed daypacks from the ranger's station near the lean-tos and climbed the mountain. Stayed a second night in the lean-to, then limped out of the park the next day. Later in the trip, the Ole Man shuttled us again, and we finished our section. We did not stay in the AT Lodge in Millinocket, but we did spend some time there while shuttle/laundry was going on.
    The Lodge is ok.
    The Old Man is ok.
    The lean-tos are ok.
    The mountain is a beast, but oh well. That's why you're there.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by putts View Post
    Look into Allegiant Air out of Bangor airport. They fly non stop to your neck of the woods for under $150 bucks and sometimes much less. I've flown ME-FL with them at least a dozen times. NEVER had a problem, which is astonishing when dealing with airlines.

Based on my experiences, the AT lodge was a decent place to stay (2009 & 2012), no complaints to speak of.
    Oh yes, we used Allegiant Air. Saved a ton on airfare and had no problems with them.

You’re starting in Pa and you have an itinerary planned thru Maine?

What’s the longest section you’ve done so far?

I ask because most itineraries dissolve within weeks if not days

You’ll probably find doing 20+ mike days in the wilderness easily doable, it’s some of the easiest terrain of the entire trail.

There’s a (few) hostels based on Monson that offered resupply and such in the wilderness.
    I doubt it would be a stretch to arrange for them to pick you up and bring you back for a slack pack.

Regarding Katahdin, you can actually slack for free.

The ranger station there has day packs that you can use; a lot of hikers leave their packs there and use a day pack. Mine was highly fashionable

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post
    You’re starting in Pa and you have an itinerary planned thru Maine?

What’s the longest section you’ve done so far?

I ask because most itineraries dissolve within weeks if not days
    I started at Springer in 2016 and did 532 miles. Last year I did about 750 miles. Last year I did similar planning. There were some days I hiked more miles than planned to get around bubbles or to stay at a preferred shelter or hostel, but in the end, I finished almost exactly on the day I intended. I think my schedule for the last 900 miles is conservative, so I may take more zero days as I hike past my schedule. I begin on May 22 and right now, my schedule has me ending around August 5. I just haven't sorted out what I am going to do for the last 30 miles, yet. Of course, there is one major concern on the schedule. I'll turn 69 on the trail. I'm just hoping my health stays good. So far, I haven't had any problems other than a sprained ankle the first year and some blisters last year.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."

Thanks for all the input. Slackpacking from the ranger station sounds like a good deal. The AT Lodge after I finish may be the way to go. I have also looked into Allegiant from the Bangor airport and the fares right now are around $135. That's a good deal! Now I just have to figure out how to get to Bangor.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."

Right on man, Grey Beard turned, I think, 83 on trail last year and finished the whole thing. You got it.

One hiccup with Katahdin is where you camp the day before. Most thru hikers stay at a shelter called “the birches,” which is near the base of the mountain. The next legal site is miles away, so it’s something to consider if your goal is to get a ride out to milliknocket the same day. You’re only allowed to spend one night in Baxter, as I recall.

I pushed miles after coming out of the 100 Mile and manger to get a spot at the birches (you have to register at a trail kiosk) so I could tackle Katahdin in the morning.

I lucked into a hitch straight to town afterwards (though it took an hour or two of us wondering if we were gonna illegally stealth camp).

The hostels in town would probably come pick you up for a fee, or if you stay with them for the night.

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    Now I just have to figure out how to get to Bangor.
    AT Lodge runs a shuttle starting in Sept most days at about 4PM out to Millinocket.
    They'll shuttle you out to the bus stop in Medway for the once-a-day bus south to Bangor the next morning.
    More info:
    The Nobo’s guide to Baxter and Katahdin for 2018
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

++ New Posts ++