WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Seeking advice, Michaux State Forest area

Planning a weekend hike, Early July.
    Plan is:
    Park near the museum, Hike for a day or two, then back to the car.
    Camp in tents.

Question:
    Hike north or south from museum area?
    Does one direction offer Better scenery?

Additionally:
    I’d be open to any other suggestions as to a starting point.
    I’m in the lancaster PA area, content to drive about 90min

Many thanks!

Not a biggie but going Nobo from the Museum there is no water till Tagg Run, only 7 miles but here my issue- the water at the Museum is heavily chlorinated so that means an extra 3 miles between water, Tom's Run(really pretty area with a nice side trail to an overlook) to Tagg Run. Guide will show a spring north of the Museum but its micro and frequently dry.
    In general, not much beyond the green tunnel going nobo, south has more interesting terrain, more shelters and water, still beyond the tunnel scenery means going off trail. Chimney Rock is pretty and close to the trail but its 30 mile Sobo from the musuem. As to other areas, I've only done Michaux so I have no comparision.
    Oh, going Nobo, from Tagg Run and James Fry shelter its only like a mile to the Twistytop Ice cream shop with decent food...that might make a nice out and back for you from the musuem

That's the AT museum in the Pine Grove Furnace area. I would go South. If you went North the nice woods peters out and you end up going through farmers fields.

There are several options I would recommend. Check out the Mid Atlantic hikes website for loop hikes in the area, or give me a call and I can meet you and share maps and a guide book with you. (717) 278-6717 Iceman

I liked the terrain south of Pine Grove Furnace better than the terrain to the north (up to Carlisle where my section ended). Depending on your pace, you might get into Maryland before turning around. If you get to Caledonia State Park, walk west a mile or so toward Fayetteville if you are interested in pizza - a memorable lunch stop for me. Also, if you're into staying in shelters (I'm not), Quarry Gap is one of the nicer ones I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamus View Post
    Planning a weekend hike, Early July.
    Plan is:
    Park near the museum, Hike for a day or two, then back to the car.
    Camp in tents.

Question:
    Hike north or south from museum area?
    Does one direction offer Better scenery?

Additionally:
    I’d be open to any other suggestions as to a starting point.
    I’m in the lancaster PA area, content to drive about 90min

Many thanks!
    Welcome to whiteblaze..
    I Only mention this option because I see you are new, and may be new to the hiking community. Rather then backtracking for a couple days, you could get a shuttle for about $40 and double what you see instead of having to backtrack to your car. You can click the link in my signature below and find several people in that area.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Great idea!
    Thanks for the input

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Welcome to whiteblaze..
    I Only mention this option because I see you are new, and may be new to the hiking community. Rather then backtracking for a couple days, you could get a shuttle for about $40 and double what you see instead of having to backtrack to your car. You can click the link in my signature below and find several people in that area.

Thanks much!

Quote Originally Posted by Crossup View Post
    Not a biggie but going Nobo from the Museum there is no water till Tagg Run, only 7 miles but here my issue- the water at the Museum is heavily chlorinated so that means an extra 3 miles between water, Tom's Run(really pretty area with a nice side trail to an overlook) to Tagg Run. Guide will show a spring north of the Museum but its micro and frequently dry.
    In general, not much beyond the green tunnel going nobo, south has more interesting terrain, more shelters and water, still beyond the tunnel scenery means going off trail. Chimney Rock is pretty and close to the trail but its 30 mile Sobo from the musuem. As to other areas, I've only done Michaux so I have no comparision.
    Oh, going Nobo, from Tagg Run and James Fry shelter its only like a mile to the Twistytop Ice cream shop with decent food...that might make a nice out and back for you from the musuem

Thank you very much

Just curious:
    Is this shuttle somehow more preferred then uber/Lyft ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Welcome to whiteblaze..

I'm not that far from Michaux, and thus do a lot of hiking there. It also helps that there are hundreds of miles of trail in the area, both official and not-so-much. There are many great areas on the "not-so-much" side. Of course, it is also fairly easy to get lost in the "not-so-much" areas. (I once was able to get three times in one trip.)

Having said all that, when I think of good hikes in the PGF area, the first that hits my mind is what I call the triple vista area, most of which are close to Cold Spring Rd, north of Laurel Lake. There are a few ways of doing it. There are three good views, a small fissure cave, tranquil streams, large outcrops, and more. Loops from 5-15 miles can be readily constructed. Feel free to ask for more information. Though really, especially if doing an overnight trip, first seriously consider your navigation abilities.
    --
    EJS
    (Ed. S)

Just returned from MSP from a weekend in the Anna Michener Cabin. Beautiful area. Only complaint is lots of logging going on.

If you start at Caledonia, you could do an overnight loop hike using trails out of the park to the Reservoir, then Rocky Knob Trail up to the AT, hike to the campsites at Birch Run for the night, then return to the park on the AT. Or vice versa.

++ New Posts ++