WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Lyme Disease Vaccination

Just curious if anyone has gotten or plans on getting one? If you have gotten one did you incur any side effects?

thanks,

clayrfarris

Images

I received the vaccine about 6-7 years ago and had absolutely no side effects. However I don't think they offer this any more
    :datz May the four winds blow me safely to Maine.

www.trailjournals.com/cheesewhiz

I live on the shoreline of Ct, ground zero for lyme disease. My brother got it and got over it, and my entire family (except me!) has been vaccinated with LYMErix. A couple years ago it was found to be totally useless and has been pulled off the market.

The acute symptoms of lyme disease are pretty obvious and it can be cleared up with a short course of doxycycline. If it goes untreated it eventually progresses into a horribly debilitating disease.

Keep those pant legs tucked in!

I think I see some deer walking across the lawn...

I remember doing some internet research into this a couple years back. There were enough horror stories about the vaccine to convince me that it wasn't worth it. However, this is just hearsay, do your own research or ask a doctor!
    <A HREF="http://www.jackielbolen.blogspot.com/"TARGET="Jackie's BLOG">http://www.jackielbolen.blogspot.com/</A>

The vaccine was withdrawn from the market for a few reasons. 1) It was a complicated 3 stage vaccine over about 12-18 months. 2) There were side effects that suggested more likely to cause problems than to prevent any. 3) Lyme Disease is still so rare that the vaccine was incredible expensive when considered # of cases prevented per dollar.

Primary prevention with DEET, permethrine, and appropriate clothing are more helpful. Sponge bathing and use of prophylatic Doxycycline may also be reasonable strategies.

Thank you for the replys. I guess I should have done a bit more research myself.

Definitely pay attention to the symptoms, early detection is key. My brother had to go back to the doctor several times before getting a proper diagnosis...

Images

i got a prescription for deoxycycline (sp?) before my '01 thru....it's the antibiotic they use to treat lyme. i never saw but one tick though. then again, i was going sobo too.

p.s. that one tick was in snp, of course (late oct. too) i've gotten plenty of 'em on me in the summer months in va though, especially snp.

Default your ticking me off

each state,each area,each season,has its own high tic season.never less than two weeks,never more than 8 weeks.these areas are easy to spot and protect against. in high tick areas,and their are no low tick areas,you can find them on you as or before they bight. either your crashing thru brush and dont notice the few on you,or their suddenly jumping at you and dogs and everyone starts running.a tick wants to climb up to the top of your head,or into a tight space like sox .cover yourself with deet if you find even one.check with a regularity and a method so as to be allways looking and hopefully catching them before they bite.they have survived by knowing what part of a body cant be seen or reached. thats why in known tic season /areas,partners must help each other to check. and i mean each 15 miniutes sometimes and at least at the start and finish of each day.know what different ticks and bites look like or you wont know to get off the trail to a doctor or not.and remember,the media really blew this up into a scary thing and its not. its just the cost of doing buissness on this wonderful planet.

Images

Default 15% of deer ticks tested pos for lyme in va 2005

I donated about 30 ticks off my deer to the state (head bug scientist). He showed my the differance between males and females and several different types. They always crawl to about the same locations on different animals so they are easy to locate. The doc was looking for Lyme in ticks in various locations in Virginia. 15% of the deer ticks (these are the wee little ones that are so hard to see) tested positive for lyme.

I just pulled a tick off my dog and there's a foot of snow on the ground! Where do they come from?!

Images

For what it is worth, Neo is hiking on the North South Trail in Western KY yesterday and today. Last night he called me at home (I'm only a few minutes from there) and told me he got his first tick of the season. My reaction was N-O-O-O-O!!!!!! Usually we can go mid April before the ticks come out. Not only that--I saw daffodils BLOOMING today. It is the 16th of February! Goofy!
    Turtle2

I was treated with amoxacillin 500mg 3/day for 28 days... perty generic and i would recomend that you try to find a way to secure yourself some before you go on your hike, or if you just are outdoors in risky areas a lot... leave at home and skip the doctor bills, as well as the waiting/trying to get to town w/ doctor and results sent back, medicine sent home, then sent to you...

++ New Posts ++