WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: widowmakers!

Default widowmakers!

I hiked from Thornton Gap north to Elkwallow Wayside in the dark and windy night on Wednesday. I thought I had finally found what the wild and lonely Skakagrall sounded like... alas it was just tree parts rubbing together. Spooked me to pieces. But got me thinking have you all seen widowmakers that made you hike faster?

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    . . .But got me thinking have you all seen widowmakers that made you hike faster?
    In the Adirondacks a couple years ago with my son, hiking around the Cranberry Lake 50, we were walking through a pretty significant wind storm and I was about 20 yards behind him when I saw a tree start to fall right for him. As I was screaming for him to run (he had no idea why) he stopped. The tree I was screaming about landed about 20 ft behind him and the tree he was stopping for landed about 20 ft in front of him. So, the answer to your question is yeah, sort of.

This last month when we had the first of our 3 noreaster storms in one week (just south of Boston) I headed out into the woods behind our house to take the dogs for a walk before the storm got blowing to badly. It was blowing pretty hard, but, was early in the storm and it hadn't picked up too much yet. My wife asked me not to go out into the woods. I figured early on in the lighter winds (only 40 mph or so) it should be fine. As the tree fell across my path, I turned around and heeded my wife's request. Below is a picture I just took out our back window showing the area of the path I was walking on.

backyard trees down.jpg

The trail enters the the woods at the left edge of the picture and crosses the rock wall right at the base of the 2 ft diameter tree that fell across it and slightly to the left of the leaning tree. Of course, this image doesn't come close to showing all the tree limbs down all around that made other parts of the trail nearly impassable until I cleared them.

Yep, trees fall. And, they do so most often in storms whether we're there to hear them or not. This one was really loud and awesome.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

When singing songs of scariness,. Of bloodiness and hairyness,. I feel obligated at this moment to remind you. Of the most ferocious beast of all: Three thousand pounds and nine feet tall ---. The Glurpy Slurpy Skakagrall. Who's standing right behind you. -
    The other creature to live in this area. Wild Tree Squeaks. They hide way in the tops of trees and on windy nights they get lonely and call to each other with those squeaks.

I've seen trees fall even in clear, calm weather. Like Johnny Cash said, "I keep my eyes wide open all the time."
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Garlic
    Images

Sometimes the thought of hiking faster comes way too late. Like the time I was chatting with friends during a break on the trail in Yellowstone NP, and out of the clear blue on a calm day, a large tree came down a few feet from our group of four. No warning, no time to even think about moving. Over ten years later, we still talk about that often.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Journal Entries

See the woods?

Every single tree in it will fall one day, unless picked by a harvester

Trees fall. One by one.

Or in the case of beetle killed forest in CO, that is uncut, the whole thing is rotten standing widow makers. I pushed over a 10" dia standing tree by leaning on it there.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-20-2018 at 09:06.

The biggest problem here in the Southeast where I backpack are the millions of completely dead towering hemlocks which are breaking apart and dropping either limbs or their tops or the entire tree. Think "torture device with spikes". These babies must be avoided if possible when camping, i.e. don't set up underneath.

But beyond this, as Muddy Waters says, all trees will eventually fall and I've seen completely "healthy" trees with green leaves fall for whatever reasons. And big healthy oaks can randomly drop a thousand lb limb with no warning. Let's do a photo essay---

33 Terraplane at Buckeye Camp off the Nutbuster-XL.jpg
    Here's a favorite campsite on the Nutbuster trail (Upper Slickrock #42) where I always put my tent.

TRIP 145 077-XL.jpg
    Here's the same place a few years later after a locust blowdown cut the campsite in half. Lucky I wasn't squatting there when it happened.

TRIP 80 033-L.jpg
    Here's the blowdown just after it happened.

DSC00548-L.jpg
    There's also a favorite camp on the Benton MacKaye trail near Yellowhammer Gap that got obliterated by this giant oak falling where I usually put my tent. Lucky me I wasn't camping here when it fell.

Trip 175 064-XL.jpg
    And then there's this phenom---a tree dropping a limb as a spear and stabbing into the earth---or whatever else is below. I see these things all the time. There's no way to avoid this---except by camping out of all trees on a bald or in a stand of small saplings.

Trip 175 065-XL.jpg
    Here's the hole this little limb made---it's deep.

Trip 183 (24)-XL.jpg
    And then there's the aforementioned hemlock spike blowdowns . . . .

I think it was 2 or 3 years ago someone was wild by a tree that fell on him at a around a shelter...don’t recall where.

Killed...ugh!

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I think it was 2 or 3 years ago someone was wild by a tree that fell on him at a around a shelter...don’t recall where.
    I think a father was killed and his son seriously injured by a falling tree in the Boundary Waters a few years ago.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    And big healthy oaks can randomly drop a thousand lb limb with no warning.

Yep. Sudden summer limb drop has killed people camping, picknicking or even just taking photos under healthy trees . I recall some people sued Yosemite a couple years back when it it happened. Seems they think National Park should have done something to prevent it.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Ed Garvey shelter methinks

Quote Originally Posted by FrogLevel View Post
    I think a father was killed and his son seriously injured by a falling tree in the Boundary Waters a few years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Ed Garvey shelter methinks
    sounds right

Yet another reason all backpacking, hiking, and camping should be banned. . . it's just too dangerous.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Yet another reason all backpacking, hiking, and camping should be banned. . . it's just too dangerous.
    Miss Nature's in charge. She'll either kill us with a tree or a tumor or a virus or a heart infarction. Maybe couch potato-itis should also be banned.

Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

A 11 year old boy scout was killed in the Red River Gorge in KY in 2016 when a tree fell on his tent. Tragic.

Not the biggest tree to fall near me, but man we got lucky.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchet_1697 View Post

Not the biggest tree to fall near me, but man we got lucky.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    this happen to me once in PA as well, dropped my pack and leaned up against what looked like an ok tree...whole damn thing fell over on and all around me, luckily it was only about three inches spongey wood.

Default widowmakers!

I've finally convinced my wife that I most likely won't die from bears, hillbillies, lightning, or ticks. Please don't let her find this thread.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Hatchet---Perfect example of how a living green tree can fall and there's nothing you can do about it or know beforehand.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++