WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sobo

Journal Entries
    Images

I hiked the PCT sobo in 2016 these are my reasons
    Sobo's
    1: Embrace being Non-conformists/non-traditionalist
    2: Want the challenge of the "Harder Route"
    3: Don't want the "Nobo/Big Bubble "Drama" (although had a fantastic small "drama-free" tramily from time to time)
    4: Really Enjoy the Quiet Woods & Alone Time (didn't see another Thru on the trail for the last 2 months)
    5: Loved the complexity of shorter days & learning how to adjust
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

To address the "Springer is anticlimactic" sentiment, what about getting off trail at USFS 42 coming SOBO, grab a shuttle, and go do the Approach trail>Springer>FS 42 NOBO? Probably not a new idea.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by putts View Post
    For me, the icing on the SOBO cake was having my parents come out and hike the last mile with me. They can't walk up and down mountains any more so that wouldn't have happened at Katahdin. That memory will live with me long after they are gone.
    Very cool!

I was not wise enough to think of something like that at age 23 — wish I did, especially considering how supportive my parents were and how far they drove to pick me up.

Makes me tear up thinking about it.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default SOBO vs NOBO

Quote Originally Posted by spfleisig View Post
    What are the five top reasons why the vast majority of thru hikers don’t do SOBO?
    Having started my thru at Springer as a NOBO and flipped to be a SOBO finisher my reasons are.
    SOBOs have to deal with very wet walking conditions during Maine spring. The Maine trails are not as well maintained. As they are down south. The bug season in Maine can be quite bad. Off trail support, ie., shuttles, hostels, resupply places, outfitters are not as established up north. The trail is tough in Maine.
    Grampie-N->2001

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by putts View Post
    The NOBO vs SOBO who's better pissing contests are possibly THE stupidest conversations I have ever witnessed on the trail. And people actually do get bent out of shape about it. Insecurities maybe? Who knows.....
    Hmmm, I wonder. I bet the number of WB posts would show whether or not to hike the approach trail to be the stupidest conversation. Or we could start an argument about which stupid WB discussion is the absolute stupidest.

-

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    Hmmm, I wonder. I bet the number of WB posts would show whether or not to hike the approach trail to be the stupidest conversation. Or we could start an argument about which stupid WB discussion is the absolute stupidest.
    That would be stupid

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++