WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default cook meat on the trail?

who cooks meat of any kind on the trail?other than bacon,ive seen one chicken roasted at a shelter in 30 years.and dogs.ive rosted the occasional pack o weinies.but who cooks steak and ribs on their thru hike? anybody? and do you ask if we mind your smoke if we dont like it?i cant imagine pulling in late to a crowded shelter with a fire going,pulling out a steak and swingin it over the fire without someone getting grossed out.is this okay to eat and cook big meat?

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone
    who cooks meat of any kind on the trail?other than bacon,ive seen one chicken roasted at a shelter in 30 years.and dogs.ive rosted the occasional pack o weinies.but who cooks steak and ribs on their thru hike? anybody? and do you ask if we mind your smoke if we dont like it?i cant imagine pulling in late to a crowded shelter with a fire going,pulling out a steak and swingin it over the fire without someone getting grossed out.is this okay to eat and cook big meat?
    maybe I'm alittle of topic but yesterday The nice folks at a trout pond says if hikers want to come to their pond and catch fish to take to the trail it is OK.we listed their business
    on appalachiantrailservices.com at Dicks Creek Gap in Ga.They are located
    1 1/2 mile down the mtn going to Hiawassee,Ga and have cabins for rent to
    hikers. http://upperhightowertrout.com

Ok, maybe I miss something but what is the problem with cooking steaks out on the trail. I've cook them in a frying pan at home. What the different? Please explain?

Wolf

Images

I usually cook a steak , or pork chops, or chicken every night after returning to the trail. That is my routine and no one has complained.
    On step at a time, One mile at a time. All the way Baby!

Images

yeah dude, it's cool. i cook meat on the trail all the time.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone
    cant imagine pulling in late to a crowded shelter with a fire going,pulling out a steak and swingin it over the fire without someone getting grossed out.is this okay to eat and cook big meat?
    It's Ok to cook big meat. There's not problem there. Nobody will be grossed out. But I would ask if it's Ok, since it sounds like you would be using firewood that they gathered.

Just as a note, I think hotdogs are easier to deal with when cooking on the trail. Steaks take forever to cook especially in the winter when they might be frozen when you start.

Panzer

I always carry meat. I cook chicken one night and steak another night before giving in to non-perishable items. I freeze both the chicken and steak. Since the chicken usually thaws first, it gets cooked first. The steak is well wrapped and since I hike in the fall, it takes an extra day to thaw. I don't think grilling meat is gross. Watching someone cook ramen - now THAT is gross!

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man
    Watching someone cook ramen - now THAT is gross!
    Not to mention watching ramen eaten raw. I sure got some horrified looks in my three stoveless months.

Images

Speaking from experience, I can tell you that you don't need to cook ramen. All you do is let it soak in water until it's soft. Then you can eat it like any noodle. Of course it's way more rubbery than a cooked noodle.

Images

Grossed out?! Pure envy would be the reaction I would most expect. If someone would have slapped a huge hunk of meat on a stick and hung it over the fire at a shelter, they would have been my best friend.

You know we are at the top of the food chain...

The Joes Hole Posse wasn't so much known for packing out meat, but for packing out a few budweiser tall daddys.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RITBlake
    The Joes Hole Posse wasn't so much known for packing out meat, but for packing out a few budweiser tall daddys.
    Amen. But how

Images

Default Finish to the previous post...

Quote Originally Posted by khaynie
    Amen. But how
    But how nice would it have been to drank a few of those bud heavy tall daddies with a slap of animal meat. Ummmmm, maybe next time...

Balt Jack had the great idea of freezing a piece of meat while you were in town at a hostel. The next morning wrap it up carefully and drop it in your pack. After 10 hours of hiking you can roll in to camp with a thawed out steak. Wish I had tried it, I can't imagine the look of envy in the faces of hikers when this is pulled off. Esp if they had no idea what kind of cargo you were carrying that day

Images

Default True

Balt Jack had the great idea of freezing a piece of meat while you were in town at a hostel. The next morning wrap it up carefully and drop it in your pack. After 10 hours of hiking you can roll in to camp with a thawed out steak. Wish I had tried it, I can't imagine the look of envy in the faces of hikers when this is pulled off. Esp if they had no idea what kind of cargo you were carrying that day
    And as cold as it will be for those NOBO's starting out soon, you could wrap up a piece of meat in town and rig it to your pack (I'm sure some of you have already done this) - the air would be better than the fridge. I think I'll try that on my next cold weather expedition.

Quote Originally Posted by khaynie
    And as cold as it will be for those NOBO's starting out soon, you could wrap up a piece of meat in town and rig it to your pack (I'm sure some of you have already done this) - the air would be better than the fridge. I think I'll try that on my next cold weather expedition.
    don't forget you'd need a streamlined piece of meat. No off the shelf hunk of beef is going to cut it here. You need to think density, weight to calorie ratio, and dimensions. If you reduce your streamlinedness by even 1% it can slow you down by .2-.5 mph.

First night on the trail, i will quite often pre-pack a "silver turtle" which is ground meat and vegatbles, spices and butter wrapped in tin foil and frozen before i leave and cook it in the coals of a campfire. I have been known to do burgers and steak the same way. I only do it the first night out as i fear food going bad more than untreated water. :-)

Images

why cook the meat? just eat it raw and save yourself some trouble. all the essential nutrients still intact.

Default im bringin,...................

how about you bild a fire in front of the shelter. let the coals form,and then pull out a 3 inch thick prime ribs ,in foil mind you,slide that puppy under the coals. and just hang out till about 8 oclock,then,...lets say your now with new people who have no idea whats cookin and pull it out and eat it and share it?would the level of freak out be concidered total?and then what if you waited till everyone had some and someone askes jokingly,"i guess you dont hapen to have a bottle of ketchup do you?"and you wip out the coo da gra.this sounds like a good idea for springer mountain shelter.maby we could start a thing where alot of people started trying to outdo the last till finally some one would actually be up there roasting whole pig in a spit.!im in if anyone wants to do this thing. im startin this weekend for sure.

Images

Default Streamlinedness...

don't forget you'd need a streamlined piece of meat. No off the shelf hunk of beef is going to cut it here. You need to think density, weight to calorie ratio, and dimensions. If you reduce your streamlinedness by even 1% it can slow you down by .2-.5 mph.
    Great point. Streamlinedness is the key to efficiency and Efficiency = Happiness.

The ribs of some black angus cow would form nicely around the outer side of my pack. I'll keep my eyes open on any specials that become available in my local market.

I'm hungry.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++