WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Penn State says wilderness is too risky for outdoors clubs

LINK

Comedy gold: "Penn State conducted a “proactive risk assessment” not based on any previous participant injuries, according to Powers. She said Outing Club activities were rated high risk because they take place in remote environments with poor cell service and distance from emergency services."
    Last edited by cmoulder; 04-24-2018 at 07:48.

I looked for a dateline and didn't see April 1......

What in the world did we do before cellphones.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Well I guess Penn State football is closing down

Not as risky as the football team's showers.

Comedy gold: "Penn State conducted a “proactive risk assessment” not based on any previous participant injuries, according to Powers. She said Outing Club activities were rated high risk because they take place in remote environments with poor cell service and distance from emergency services."
    I can't see Dartmouth engaging in such cowardly behavior, or almost all other colleges for that matter. This takes risk averse, lawyer-driven behavior to new levels of fearful nutlessness.

Penn State is just brimming with geniuses, it appears.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Can just turn a blind eye to child molestation... But damn it you better not go hiking.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Images

I can honestly say that I look down on Penn state and all of this silliness. From three weeks ago......

IMG_2934.JPG
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    LINK

What about 500 years ago when guys such as Columbus and Magellen sailed into vast unknown seas without even a map?

Magellan famously said "It's necessary to adventure. It's not necessary to live."
    Last edited by Alligator; 04-24-2018 at 16:48. Reason: TOS #2

The hiking community is better off without PSU students (or alumns) on trails. Their blind loyalty to PSU is very cult-like and makes them just creepy - sort of like the Yellow Deli.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I can honestly say that I look down on Penn state and all of this silliness. From three weeks ago......

IMG_2934.JPG
    Looks like a view from Mt Nittany. If it is, did ya buy a square inch of real estate while you were up there?

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post

IMG_2934.JPG
    hey be careful up there, you could die of hape.

LINK

And interestingly, they have an Outdoor Adventure organization, which offers similar trips but with university staffers leading the trips instead of students (like the Outing Club). It's just infantilizing the college students. The good thing is that nothing stops them from taking an outing not related to either organization.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

LINK

All this discussion of risk assessment reminds me of an incident a few years ago. I was president of a small college in the Boston area. One of the science professors invited me to go along on a field trip to study volcanoes on the big island of Hawaii. The professor led the group of students (and me) out on the lava flow to the point that the lava was still liquid. He warned all of us that we were standing on a thin crust of hardened lava. He said that below us the lava was still flowing and told a story about someone who had broken through the lava crust and fell into the hot lava. When I got a chance, I called the professor to one side and asked, "Aren't you concerned about the possible liability of bringing all of these students out here on the lava?" He looked at me with an innocent look and said, "Not at all. I am with my college president."
    Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    The hiking community is better off without PSU students (or alumns) on trails. Their blind loyalty to PSU is very cult-like and makes them just creepy - sort of like the Yellow Deli.
    A couple years ago, hiking from RT4 in Maine to RT27, we ran into a hiker from Pedd State dumping his pasta water on the ground, and washing his dishes in the water source. He went by the name Captian Jack. Yes, that's how he spelled it in all the shelter logs. Turns out he was studying to be a naturalist or forest ranger or some such crap. He was complaining about the sanctions Pedd State had to endure from the NCAA and how it wasn't fair. I had to explain to him that he was defending a pedaphile and he wasn't on the moral high horse. He was do dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    A couple years ago, hiking from RT4 in Maine to RT27, we ran into a hiker from Pedd State dumping his pasta water on the ground, and washing his dishes in the water source. He went by the name Captian Jack. Yes, that's how he spelled it in all the shelter logs. Turns out he was studying to be a naturalist or forest ranger or some such crap. He was complaining about the sanctions Pedd State had to endure from the NCAA and how it wasn't fair. I had to explain to him that he was defending a pedaphile and he wasn't on the moral high horse. He was do dumb.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    All this discussion of risk assessment reminds me of an incident a few years ago. I was president of a small college in the Boston area. One of the science professors invited me to go along on a field trip to study volcanoes on the big island of Hawaii. The professor led the group of students (and me) out on the lava flow to the point that the lava was still liquid. He warned all of us that we were standing on a thin crust of hardened lava. He said that below us the lava was still flowing and told a story about someone who had broken through the lava crust and fell into the hot lava. When I got a chance, I called the professor to one side and asked, "Aren't you concerned about the possible liability of bringing all of these students out here on the lava?" He looked at me with an innocent look and said, "Not at all. I am with my college president."
    That’s excellent!
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Apparently this thread is duplicating responses.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries

It seems to me that if a outing club sponsors an event, the students signing up to join them are volunteering for the activity. If the club included a clause in the sign up form holding both the club and the University harmless in the event of injury or death you have cover your ars. Additionally they should include a full description of what the exactly the event will entail and known risks the activity presents, again they are spelling things out pretty clearly. Some law student or professor could help draft the signup form. Just my opinion.
    Blackheart

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++