WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Altra Lone peak 3.0 too warm for you?

There are tons of accolades for the shoe. When my last pair of Pearl Izumi Zero-drop trail runners gave up, I finally bought myself a pair of Lone Peak 3.0. Unlike my Pearl Izumi, LP has very soft sole which gives me less true feel of the trail. What really turns me off is LP is not as breathable and my feet constantly feel too warm and sweaty even in temps below 60F. So I was wondering if I need to size up. Or is it just the way LP behaves?

Leonidas

Sounds like you need a different stack height and shoe. Unfortunately, each Altra has it's own stack height and construction that alters its breathability or lack thereof as well. Your only options for more trail feel would be the Superior with a 21mm stack or the King MT with a 19mm stack. I can say that the King are not as breathable as either of the road Altras I have owned. With those I can feel every breeze as it goes through my shoe. I don't own the Superior, I can't decide if the 2mm additional stack is going to provide the extra that I am looking for but the price is right.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

My Lone Peak 3.0 shoes are exceptionally. Did you get the waterproof version? The waterproof version might be significantly less breathable.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    My Lone Peak 3.0 shoes are exceptionally. Did you get the waterproof version? The waterproof version might be significantly less breathable.
    Coming from Pearl Izumi, I'm kind of unimpressed so far by Lone Peak. I bought too sizes but both of them are not as breathable as my Pearl Izumis. And I think the worse part is very soft sole to the point that I can hardly feel the surface now. Just read Lone Peak 4.0 is coming in August. I hope it can improve a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Runner2017 View Post
    Coming from Pearl Izumi, I'm kind of unimpressed so far by Lone Peak. I bought too sizes but both of them are not as breathable as my Pearl Izumis. And I think the worse part is very soft sole to the point that I can hardly feel the surface now. Just read Lone Peak 4.0 is coming in August. I hope it can improve a bit.
    No I never buy any waterproof trail runners. They are the regular version.

LP 3.0 is not hot for me, and here in the NE the cushion is also about right for me. Same for Timps.

Superior 3.0 uppers started shredding in less than 200 mi, and I am generally very easy on shoes and gear.

Leonidas

The 4.0 will still have the same 25mm stack height so the "feel" should not change.
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    The 4.0 will still have the same 25mm stack height so the "feel" should not change.
    I have had a hard time finding replacement for my Pearl Izumi shoes since they quit trail runner biz a couple years ago. Pearl Izumi offered three different levels of cushioning for the same line of shoes. Even their N3 level shoes with max amount of cushioning still gived me the feel of the surface. I hope Altra can learn a thing from PI.

Leonidas

I have had a hard time finding replacement for my Pearl Izumi shoes since they quit trail runner biz a couple years ago. Pearl Izumi offered three different levels of cushioning for the same line of shoes. Even their N3 level shoes with max amount of cushioning still gived me the feel of the surface. I hope Altra can learn a thing from PI.
    Interesting, I tried to look them up earlier and couldn't find anything on specs, only older reviews which the discontinuation explains. Hope you find something that works for you! I just snagged a pair of LP 3.0s myself, I couldn't resist at $59.
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    Interesting, I tried to look them up earlier and couldn't find anything on specs, only older reviews which the discontinuation explains. Hope you find something that works for you! I just snagged a pair of LP 3.0s myself, I couldn't resist at $59.
    Pearl Izumi's trail runners (Zero-drop with level 2 cushioning) had been own the Editors Choice (Trail Runners) of the Outdoor Gear Lab for a few years before PI exited out of that biz a couple years ago.

$60 a pair for Lone Peak 3.0 is indeed good price.

I finally found Nike Air Zoom Terra Kiger 4 works great for me, and it's also the top pick of Outdoor Gear Lab. It's much better, far more breathable, and far more comfortable than Altra Lone Peak 3.0. The only difference it has 4mm drop which is nothing much. And I bought additional 10 pairs.

By the way Running Warehouse had clearance on Altra Lone Peak 3.0 yesterday and it was only $39.99 a pair.

Leonidas

Sad that I missed that... I did see they had one pair of Superior 3.0 left in 12 for $49.98. Tempted to grab them but I decided to at least get 100 miles or so on the LP 3.0 before I buy anymore trail shoes.
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

Images

I just bought a pair of Altra Lone Peak 3.5s from REI yesterday. Have not had them on the trail yet, but from what I've read, the major changes were in the mesh to increase the breathability and durability and they added drain holes in the uppers so that water drains out more readily. They also, supposedly, redesigned the heel cup to decrease the heel slipping that some folks were experiencing. The final change that I know of was improving their gator anchoring system to a four point anchor.

++ New Posts ++