WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Gear you need for hiking and camping

We are going to have a 5-day holiday and just team up with my friends for hiking and we plan to spend 3 nights in outdoor spots. We each have several times of hiking experience but each time either of us would just forget bringing one or two gear. Last hiking, for example, a friend did not take the camping mat. So one of us had to share with him.

Below is the list of our gear for the coming hiking and camping:

*** tent
    *** sleeping bag
    *** moisture-proof pad
    *** mini gas stove & dinnerware
    *** travel mug
    *** knife
    *** walking shoes
    *** sunglasses

Other stuffs we need: food (bread, biscuits, chocolate), water, sun block, snake powder. What else do you suggest?

BTW, my walking shoes are almost done after 2 years. I want to buy the New Balance Men’s MW877 walking shoes. My friends told me that this pair is one of the best walking shoes for men. Have any of you had them?

Journal Entries

"snake powder" ?

You can seriously use any shoe. The ones with a little aggressive tread to maintain traction are helpful. Look for trail running shoes not walking shoes. Imo. They will be lighter and made of quicker drying Construction. It probably won't be as cushiony though

Might want a pack to carry your stuff in.
    Maybe something to keep the rain off of you.
    First aid kit. Repair kit.
    Typically don't bring water most places, its heavy. you purify water.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-28-2018 at 02:59.

Garlic
    Images

Some extra warm clothing and a way to keep it dry in your pack
    Insect repellent and/or netting
    Critter-proof your food--hang or exclude
    Navigation tools
    Paper and pencil
    Water bottles
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Here's a start. The author is regular here at WB, but otherwise seems somewhat sane. https://pmags.com/backpacking-a-beginners-primer

couple days ago driving up the interstate, I passed someone towing a small flatbed utility trailer. On the trailer was a great pile of stuff. They looked to be going camping.
    Bikes, coolers, a two burner cook stove, duffles, folding tables, ez-up awnings probably, and who knows what else.

Everyone has a different "minimum equipment list" for camping

Its real difficult to give gear recommendations without knowing more on what your trip plan is. Different trips means different gear.

Big difference between a backpacking trip versus car camping, both are outdoor trips but car camping you can go for comfort versus weight is the most important for backpacking. If you are new to it, I do not recommend a backpacking trip. I strongly suggest the way to go is car camp and day trip from there. The investment for car camping gear is less expensive than backpacking gear. If you screw up car camping you normally can head into town and get more gear, if you screw up backpacking, it could be dangerous.

The New Balance shoes you linked to may be fine for walking around urban parks or on tourist type trails at National Parks but not really good for typical hiking. New Balance are good shoes but I would suggest going to a more trail oriented shoe with a beefier tread. This one is good fit for a low cut https://www.newbalance.com/pd/510v4-...ck#color=Black, if you want to go with bit more ankle support, check out this one https://www.newbalance.com/pd/new-ba...wn#color=Brown. Note if you don't hike frequently, you may want to alternative hiking events with other activities as most folks will run into conditioning issues.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    couple days ago driving up the interstate, I passed someone towing a small flatbed utility trailer. On the trailer was a great pile of stuff. They looked to be going camping.
    Bikes, coolers, a two burner cook stove, duffles, folding tables, ez-up awnings probably, and who knows what else.

Everyone has a different "minimum equipment list" for camping
    The car camping our troop did when my son was in Cub Scout was shameful.
    It included big screen TV and satellite dish and generators and barbecue grills and folding lounge chairs. Blow up queen size beds. I'm not exaggerating when I say you had to take the day off of work that day just to get ready to leave in afternoon.

Most of these people were just bringing their football tailgating setups to the campground and tossing a tent in there too.

It was always interesting when it rained..
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-29-2018 at 08:56.

ha ha, same for my son's cub scout pack. In fact it was while in that pack that I got into the RV hobby. I had a tent trailer popup and lots of others in the pack and big travel trailers and a few motorhomes. I was out cranking up my high end "tent" in the rain, they backed in, pushed a button or two to set up, and cracked open a beer. We'd usually have one of those large tow behind pig cooker grilles there too.

on the up side, it was with that same pack that I rekindled my "real tent" camping interest too, and really stirred up my desire to go backpacking again after many years. About once or twice a year we would camp at the BSA reservation in tents. The pack had a small trailer full of stuff for the group, and many folks had huge cabin tents, but I focused my son and I to more back packable stuff. We'd actually hike in from the parking lot while everyone else was hauling their stuff in by truck and car and dropping it off at the site

I heard a story last year when section hike thru the Smokies. The story was told by another section hiker who is in her 70s.

It turns out at one time some AT shelters had metal roofs and bunks. One Boy Scout group stayed in such a shelter during a severe summer storm. In the middle night a lightening hit the shelter directly, and it got everyone (14 teenage boys and adults) killed instantly except for one boy who went out to pee. This tragedy took place in either late 50s or early 60s. Since then they redid all the shelters that had metal roofs/bunks.

Journal Entries

I have never read anything about this in any of the books that I have read and at one time I had access to the New York City Library and Columbia University.
    Blackheart

@MuddyWaters I mean the repellent that prevent snakes getting close. And thanks for your kind advice

@garlic08 Thanks for your remindings. We might not need warm clothing because the weather there is rather hot. But considering that it is in the mountain and at night, the temperature will go down low, we'd better bring some.

@4eyedbuzzard Thanks, it is useful

@blw2 You are right. And I think our camping is quite different from theirs since they might be cycling while we hiking(with our feet)

@peakbagger Thanks for so many details. I really like the BLACK color shoes you recommended but I am afraid that there is not enough time for me to pick them up, we are moving out tomorrow. Still I would like to buy them for the next trip.

@MuddyWaters Sounds great, maybe we will try that later

Yeah, that sounds interesting and reminds me of my cub scout trip when I was a little boy. Beautiful memory

@Runner2017 That is sad. Indeed, it is dangerous to go hiking or camping in raining days. Better to check the weather report in advance

++ New Posts ++