WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Which approach trail?

Just want to get some activity in here. If you’ve hiked or are planning on hiking the LT, which approach trail did you take and why? Nobo choice is the pine cobble or AT and sobo is either journeys end or the out and back from the road

I took the pine cobble trail instead of the AT because it was slightly shorter mileage. I neglected to really look at the elevation topo and wouldn’t have taken the pine cobble trail had I actually looked lol

Images

Took the AT from the bridge to the southern terminus. Nice hike up. At the border, we hiked back to Rte 105 and hitched west to Richford.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by NHWhites View Post
    Just want to get some activity in here. If you’ve hiked or are planning on hiking the LT, which approach trail did you take and why? Nobo choice is the pine cobble or AT and sobo is either journeys end or the out and back from the road
    I took the pine cobble trail instead of the AT because it was slightly shorter mileage. I neglected to really look at the elevation topo and wouldn’t have taken the pine cobble trail had I actually looked lol
    I took the Pine Cobble to start my LT hike because I liken it to the approach trail of the AT. Also this way if I some day do the AT in the future, there will be a few less miles that I'll be repeating. : )

As for the northern terminus, unless there is a specific reason you want to get back to the road, how can you resist a trail called journey's end past journey's end shelter after literally reaching your journey's end?! But seriously, I was staying in North Troy after I finished so journey's end trail was the way to go for me.
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I've started the south end from Pine Cobble trail, just to save a few minutes of driving for my wife, plus there's good parking there.

From the North end, I've done both routes. Same as down south it was easy for my wife to drop me off on Ret 105. I stashed my pack in the woods, went to Canada & back then kept on going south.

All in all, not much difference either way. You've got the sign at the Mass. border and the post at the Canadian border - they let you know your trip has just ended or begun!

Images

I did a LT SOBO in 2016, staying at the North Troy B&B:

http://northtroyinn.com/

Super nice folks there, they had this screeming deal: The husband works in Burlington VT, and he gave two of us a free ride to North Troy from Burlington, we both tipped him $20. IF you're flying in to Burlington to do this, and it's on a weekday in the afternoon, this might still work. Give the Inn a call.

We stayed at the NT Inn, I believe it was $50, got an excellent included breakfast, then got a ride close to the Journey's end trailhead. The lady didn't want to drive the last mile in her car, no worries.

Journal Entries

Sobo journeys end
    Easiest Logistics
    Shuttle pick-up at Burlington and drop you near journeys end. Bus/lodging simple when you're finished.

Theres pros and cons to hitting the more difficult part right away, depends on your strategy and what shape you're in when you start. As long as you don't plan too many miles , and are a reasonably strong hiker, I didn't find it a bad strategy.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-29-2018 at 12:12.

Default Which approach trail?

Sammi is a super hostess. My train to St. Albans was late but she waited up for me till I arrived at midnight. The next morning she drove me halfway up the approach road toward Journeys End until the potholes got so bad she was afraid to go any further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Long term parking available 500yds east of AT at Greylock Community Club. Small fee. No long term parking at Pine Cobble Trailhead.

Cosmo

I hiked southbound, but since I completed all of the side trails at the same time, I have some experience there.
    Be careful of the Broad Brook Trail, which can require five fords after heavy rains.
    Day 27

Images

I prefer the Pine Cobble trail over the AT approach myself...

If arriving or departing via bus from Williamstown, the Pine Cobble trail is the most direct route in or out of town. The road up to Journeys end trail head is a bit rough (and a little hard to find), but I did manage to get my MINI Cooper up to the first parking lot a few years ago. It might be easier to go in and out from 105 in some cases.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++