Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Base Weight

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    It's still a useful metric, so long it as included all the clothing which will be carried most of the time. If you mostly hike in a t-shirt and shorts, that weight is insignificant in comparison to your overall body weight.

You should always aim for the lowest pack weight you can manage for a given situation. A one or two night on the first day of Summer takes less gear then a week in April.

True enough, I like a light pack. I'm not so fond of dishonesty, especially in an activity that I don't see as a competition.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Clothing worn, which can be anywhere from a couple to several pounds is not counted as base weight. You still have to lug it.
    I understand this. When it is carried it is base weight. I thought this was axiomatic.

You can click my geargrams link in my sig to see how this is handled.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I understand this. When it is carried it is base weight. I thought this was axiomatic.
    You can click my geargrams link in my sig to see how this is handled.
    And all the consumables plus the base weight of your pack is your pack weight. Pack weight plus what you are wearing is the skin out weight.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Two Tents View Post
    Yea but in the end I still get my groceries. Don't be in a hurry to condemn me cause I don't do what you do or think as you think or hike as fast or as far. Once you carry less its tough to go back to carrying more. There was a time when you didn't know the things you know today. Its all good. Just sayin. Peace, Two Tents
    Didn't condemn anything.

But don't tell me I can't have observations or opinions.

Most fit active long distance hikers , maintain an aerobic workload. As you reduce their weight, the mileage and speed automatically will go up, because it can. There's great freedom in being able to resupplying once every hundred miles or more, instead of once every 30. It opens opportunities to you that you simply don't have at heavy weights and lower mileage. Not everywhere is like the AT.

Not to mention hiking opportunities.
    Cant take 6 weeks off work to hike? Trails become shorter at 150 miles per week .
    Much shorter at 220+ for exceptional people.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; Today at 00:11.
    "Inevitably, a long distance hiker must choose between travelling light, and not travelling at all." - Earl V. Shaffer

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    n There's great freedom in being able to resupplying once every hundred miles or more, instead of once every 30. It opens opportunities to you that you simply don't have at heavy weights and lower mileage.
    There are a number of places in the west that slowpokes like me would find very difficult for this reason. More an age and conditioning thing for me, but a few less pounds wouldn't hurt.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    There are a number of places in the west that slowpokes like me would find very difficult for this reason. More an age and conditioning thing for me, but a few less pounds wouldn't hurt.
    Precisely.
    For instance one can hike the big SEKI loop
    It's the best part of the JMT as well as awsome areas of SEKI.
    It's 160 miles.
    But no ability to resupply.

Back to the point there's people who think that base weight is about bragging rights
    And those people simply don't understand the ramifications of weight carried.
    And yeah there's a lot of newbies that make up gear list on geargrams wanting to be UL without ever having set foot on a trail...... And they dont understand the reasons you need it. It's not really about "comfort". Some of my hardest hurting days have been with my lowest weights carried. The reason, is because those are also some of my highest mileage days.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; Today at 02:24.
    "Inevitably, a long distance hiker must choose between travelling light, and not travelling at all." - Earl V. Shaffer

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++