WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CDC Tick News

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    Put anything in the hands of the government and they will mess it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    More misinformation - the ACA is a law - nothing more, nothing less. It did not create a government-run system (like the Medicare that I expect you refused to accept to avoid being a hypocrite). The insurers did not change. There are the same for-profit insurance companies that were there before ACA.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    More misinformation - the ACA is a law - nothing more, nothing less. It did not create a government-run system (like the Medicare that I expect you refused to accept to avoid being a hypocrite). The insurers did not change. There are the same for-profit insurance companies that were there before ACA.
    It affected things in ways you may not be aware.
    Companies were financially penalized for having " cadillac" plans, ie too good for their employees. Plans were actually reduced due to this.

Ins. Doesnt cover everything. Some viruses have been declined as not proven to not be act of terrorism. Acts of war, terrorism may be excluded, etc. Always read fine print.

It serves as a great reminder to treat clothing with permethrin and ask your doctor to prescribe 200 mg of doxycycline to keep in your first aid kit. Peer-reviewed studies show that taking this after a bite reduces that expected infection rate by 90%.
    I have heard this is nearly impossible to get as a preventive prescription, and that the only ones who carry it in their first aids kits while hiking are doctors.

Can others confirm/deny? I would love to get it if possible.
    It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    I have heard this is nearly impossible to get as a preventive prescription, and that the only ones who carry it in their first aids kits while hiking are doctors.

It shouldn't be too tough since its not a Schedule II drug that carries a high risk of abuse. In my case, it may have helped that I live in a Lyme hot spot and my internist is a younger doctor that keeps up with the literature and treats Lyme cases. I think I paid under $2.00 for the script and get a new one with each annual physical. I never had to use it. I wear long sleeves/long pants treated with permethrin.

The literature showing the efficacy of a prophylactic 200 mg doxycycline dose has been around for almost 20 years. Here's a early paper from NEJM https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.105...00107123450201 If your physician is hesitant, pull some abstracts from Pubmed. If they still refuse, consider getting a better doctor.

That statement has no basis in fact. Limbaugh/Hannity/Trump/Ryan are not always right.

Good stuff Offshore. Next time I see the doctor, I'm bringing the research and am gonna ask for some.
    It is what it is.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    That statement has no basis in fact. Limbaugh/Hannity/Trump/Ryan are not always right.
    Which statement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good stuff Offshore. Next time I see the doctor, I'm bringing the research and am gonna ask for some.
    You need to go in with the concept that your doctor is your partner in your health care, not a dictator. I've had doctors tell me that their favorite patients are those that take an interest in their own health care and that they welcome discussions. Just have your notes together and stay on point to get the best use of the limited time of the visit.

It's also important to remember that your doctor may not know as much about Lyme as you do, and this can be problematic in some cases. It's important to do your homework and have the conversation as an invested (and senior) partner in your own healthcare.

I am very fortunate to have had the same doctor for many years; he knows all about this little hiking hobby of mine, and while he does have a pretty good knowledge of Lyme, he also knows that he doesn't know it all. Each spring I ask him for a prescription for doxycycline -- nothing more than a few days worth to initiate treatment if I discover an imbedded tick. You don't have to be a medical professional to have some doxycycline in your kit.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Before my 100 mile section hike in mid-April (I was planning a thru-hike), my doctor actually brought it up and suggested Doxycycline (100 mg) for me. He would have prescribed 10, 20, or 30 tablets. I opted for 10 (enough for 5 tick bites). He said if I got a tick bite, to take two of the 100 mg tablets that day, as a preventive measure. Since he was the one who brought it up, I know that when I return to the trail, he will allow a preventive prescription. Just sharing the good information because other people may not know that this is an option.

Yeah, I concur on some of the good points about the ACA. Having worked in public health before my retirement, I have a little bit of knowledge about the subjec. In my opinion, the Affordable Care Act wasn't perfect, but it certainly does take critical hits based on ideology rather than information. My own personal experience, having worked at a local health department, is that our health care premiums rose anywhere from 8-30 percent per year from the early 1990s until passage of the ACA. They continued to rise after the ACA, but not as fast (still faster than inflation though). Often our local Board of Health covered much of those increases, but just as often, our annual raises were less than the employee share of the cost. It is insurance companies that have raised premiums, deductibles, and copays and restricts what medications and conditions they will cover. To be sure, these have affected different people differently. The ACA becomes a convenient scapegoat, but if we don't address the true causes, health care access will continue to suffer.

With Lyme Disease being a common and serious risk among backpackers, concern about the state of our health care is a salient topic, and we need to get it right.

I too am a Lyme survivor and would add to ADK Walker's suggestions, don't be afraid to use DEAT. It is one of the most researched chemicals out there and has been around long enough for long term effects to researched as well. Its safe (or at least safer than Lyme or Zika) It is different from Permethrin. Permethrin while safe to use on clothes should not be used on skin and is a insecticide. DEAT is a repellent and complements the use of Permethrin. Also treat your pack with Perethrin. It will keep you from picking up bed bugs in the cheap questionable motels.

Quote Originally Posted by SC_Forester View Post
    I too am a Lyme survivor and would add to ADK Walker's suggestions, don't be afraid to use DEAT. It is one of the most researched chemicals out there and has been around long enough for long term effects to researched as well. Its safe (or at least safer than Lyme or Zika) It is different from Permethrin. Permethrin while safe to use on clothes should not be used on skin and is a insecticide. DEAT is a repellent and complements the use of Permethrin. Also treat your pack with Perethrin. It will keep you from picking up bed bugs in the cheap questionable motels.
    Sorry DEET. I lose some creditably when i cant even spell it right.

I just visited the Dr yesterday for annual check. since we are heading back to the AT next month,I asked her about doxy in case of a tick bite. Not only did she write the script,she suggested a dosage for the entire trip as a preventive measure. Seemed a bit much,so I got 30 100mg capsules for 3.00 with insurance. Even in mostly tick free Iowa,she was very aware of the hazard and ready to help.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Trek View Post
    I just visited the Dr yesterday for annual check. since we are heading back to the AT next month,I asked her about doxy in case of a tick bite. Not only did she write the script,she suggested a dosage for the entire trip as a preventive measure. Seemed a bit much,so I got 30 100mg capsules for 3.00 with insurance. Even in mostly tick free Iowa,she was very aware of the hazard and ready to help.
    Do what ever you have to do to keep that doctor.
    Blackheart

"My son has now spent north of $30,000 battling Lyme disease. Obama’s healthcare does not cover Lyme, and refuses to acknowledge that it even exist!"

####I'm not getting into a long debate here on WB with you Deacon about this issue, but I call BS on your statement on ACA, as your political beliefs are the basis for your opinions, not actually how the ACA works.
    Last edited by double d; 05-15-2018 at 08:00.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Trek View Post
    I agree, you have a very good doctor, and with you living in Iowa, that is a Dr. that you need to keep!!!!
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

It shouldn't be too tough since its not a Schedule II drug that carries a high risk of abuse. In my case, it may have helped that I live in a Lyme hot spot and my internist is a younger doctor that keeps up with the literature and treats Lyme cases. I think I paid under $2.00 for the script and get a new one with each annual physical. I never had to use it. I wear long sleeves/long pants treated with permethrin.

The literature showing the efficacy of a prophylactic 200 mg doxycycline dose has been around for almost 20 years. Here's a early paper from NEJM https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.105...00107123450201 If your physician is hesitant, pull some abstracts from Pubmed. If they still refuse, consider getting a better doctor.
    Great, early research on Lyme Disease, thank you for sharing it!!!! good to know information.

Quote Originally Posted by double d View Post
    "My son has now spent north of $30,000 battling Lyme disease. Obama’s healthcare does not cover Lyme, and refuses to acknowledge that it even exist!"

####I'm not getting into a long debate here on WB with you Deacon about this issue, but I call BS on your statement on ACA, as your political beliefs are the basis for your opinions, not actually how the ACA works.
    You might have your son try some of the hippie mambo jumbo holistic medicine. I not going to day it works, because i don't believe in hippie mambo jumbo holistic medicine, But when I had Lyme you get desperate so I tied it and started feeling better even after doxy. Look up buhnerhealinglyme.com

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SC_Forester View Post
    You might have your son try some of the hippie mambo jumbo holistic medicine. I not going to day it works, because i don't believe in hippie mambo jumbo holistic medicine, But when I had Lyme you get desperate so I tied it and started feeling better even after doxy. Look up buhnerhealinglyme.com
    The Native American Indians did not have Pharmacies and used natures cures to cure ailments. They only started having problems when the English and European settlers came over carrying smallpox and other diseases.
    Blackheart

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++