WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tent Stakes

Default Tent Stakes

Are any brands/types better than others? Will be used for a 1-person tent on the AT in the three seasons.

Thanks

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

There are several small light weight stakes that work just fine... such as MSR Mini Ground Hog and North Face J-Stake (similar to what light weight Big Agnes Tents come with). However, I recommend J-Stakes that are 'V' shaped rather than the ground hog 'Y' shape... because when you pull them out of moist soil, there is only 1 groove to clean from the 'V' stake compared to the three sided of the 'Y'.

Never have given my tent stakes much thought. I purchased some very light weight titanium ones years ago and have been happy. There is always trees, roots, and rocks on the AT to help in securing your shelter to the ground.

First thing I do when getting a new tent/shelter is to ditch the included stakes and get some MSR Groundhog stakes. Regular size usually but mini if trying to shave ounces. While there are other choices the crew that I camp with all use MSR and have never had any issues, if it ain't broke...

Usually I get at least one or two extra stakes in case of damage (never happened yet) or more importantly that inevitable brain fart where you forget to pack one of your stakes.

I guess I'm a contrarian at heart. I really don't like MSR Groundhog stakes all that much. Yeah, they're big, strong, reasonably lightweight and hold quite well.

BUT . . . They're big. They're heavier than many other options. They hold dirt. They hurt when you push them into hardish ground so you have to use a rock, or your foot or something. They are hard to pull out. Basically, I find them to be massive overkill for 80% of the staking I do.

When I'm using a tarp (8x10 or bigger), which is often, I will commonly carry two Groundhogs with me for key, high-stress guy outs. Then, I often use all my other stakes and find a tree or rock for high-stress guy lines so I don't need to mess with the groundhogs.

I love the little J stakes my Big Agnes tent came with for being super light and having fantastic holding power for something so small. I like my Ti shepherd hook stakes for being small, light, tough, veritile and simple. I like my aluminum gutter spike for being cheap, going into the ground well, being able to be pounded on with rocks and sticks easily. And yes, I also like my groundhog stakes for their toughness and holding power.

For what it's worth, I rarely find a single type of stake best or all the guy outs of any tent or tarp pitch.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

The hollow aluminum stakes that come with a Tarptent are fine 95% of the time. If a sandy or loose area won't hold the stake, add a rock or chunk of wood to the top - or move it a little.

Ill tell you what, I have been using those Ti Shepard hooks with the red hook for about 2 years now an they don't hold in the ground any better than a hole in the head holds brains. But I just keep settin my rocks on top of them *Facepalm*
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Totally depends on what type of ground you're driving the stake into. Here in the rocky NE I'm a fan of Lawson Ti shepherd hooks. Totally work for me because they're skinny and can 'sneak' into little cracks and crevices where others often won't go.

I've had those Ti shepherd hooks with the red or orange paint (or plastic dip?) on their heads and the Lawsons are far superior, for two reasons: The Ti stock they're made from is slightly larger in diameter, and the curve of the hook is designed to be right in line with the lower part of the stake which makes it possible to drive it in a little harder with a rock without bending the head.

Just last night I was out hammocking using an asym tarp in very windy conditions, with one of these stakes on each side. Angled properly and wedged in cracks in the rocks, they didn't move a millimeter all night.

If I lived in an area with more loamy, organic soil or sandy duff I'd definitely use some of the V stakes.

Also, I carry 2-3 lengths (about 3 ft each, with loops in the end) of 1.75mm Zing-it in case I have to use rocks for anchors. Rocks can really eat up Micro cord or z-line guy lines, so to me those sacrificial Zing-its are worth carrying.

Ever noticed tyres come with different threads for different cars and or road surfaces ?
    I think that stakes are a bit like that.
    There is no way some of my shelters would stand up in strong winds using either short stakes or the needle type apart from where I could jam them into rocks or of course pile up rocks on top.
    I carry a mix but mostly I relay on 8" Easton and 8" Y stakes.

MSR Mini Groundhogs are far superior to anything else out there....shepherd hooks ? Really? LOL....Wal-mart sells a clone of the full size MSR Aluminum stakes, a good value.....
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Totally depends on what type of ground you're driving the stake into. Here in the rocky NE I'm a fan of Lawson Ti shepherd hooks. Totally work for me because they're skinny and can 'sneak' into little cracks and crevices where others often won't go.

I've had those Ti shepherd hooks with the red or orange paint (or plastic dip?) on their heads and the Lawsons are far superior, for two reasons: The Ti stock they're made from is slightly larger in diameter, and the curve of the hook is designed to be right in line with the lower part of the stake which makes it possible to drive it in a little harder with a rock without bending the head.

Just last night I was out hammocking using an asym tarp in very windy conditions, with one of these stakes on each side. Angled properly and wedged in cracks in the rocks, they didn't move a millimeter all night.

If I lived in an area with more loamy, organic soil or sandy duff I'd definitely use some of the V stakes.

Also, I carry 2-3 lengths (about 3 ft each, with loops in the end) of 1.75mm Zing-it in case I have to use rocks for anchors. Rocks can really eat up Micro cord or z-line guy lines, so to me those sacrificial Zing-its are worth carrying.
    Yep, never ever had an issue using the skinny shepherd hook stakes. There’s alway a way to make them work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    MSR Mini Groundhogs are far superior to anything else out there....shepherd hooks ? Really? LOL....Wal-mart sells a clone of the full size MSR Aluminum stakes, a good value.....
    Must be nice knowing what works best everywhere!

Worked the entire length of the AT!

Oops. Sorry, I didn’t notice that was for another post.

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    The hollow aluminum stakes that come with a Tarptent are fine 95% of the time. If a sandy or loose area won't hold the stake, add a rock or chunk of wood to the top - or move it a little.
    Ditto! Back in the Stone Age my Garuda Atman arrived with 8 3/4” Easton stakes. I’m still using them with the MSR HUBBA HUBBA NX. Naturally the TarpTent SS 1 arrived with the same stakes.
    I also carry a couple aluminum shepherd hooks as spares or when the Eastons don’t like a hard spot.
    Easton got their stakes right a long time ago. No reason to change.
    Wayne

7000-series aluminum is much more resistant to bending and denting than 6000-series. If all you have is the cheapies, just bring a couple extra, but if I was starting from scratch, I would pay up for much more durable stakes, since where I hike is rocky and rooty.

I've been using the aluminum gutter spike. One buck each at the hardware store.

Journal Entries

It depends on where I plan to set up on a regular basis. I normally carry MSR Ground Hog stakes for three season style hiking. If where I am going to hike in sandy or snow conditions, I have a set of MSR Snow Stakes. They are easy to drive into sandy and snowy conditions and you can shove them in so deep that there is no stake snowing.
    Blackheart

I don't understand why they put that loop of cord on the top of the stakes.
    Just seems like extra weight and won't fit in my little tarptent stuff sack so well.
    Anybody use these little loop stringy things for any reason?

By the way, if you want to really lighten your ounces, find a union bricklayer and get some of the string they use for level line for bricklaying.
    The stuff is so strong you can tow a car with it.
    I've had some on my tarptent since '98 and never broke one!

I might buy some of these mini groundhogs to mix in with my assortment, but would take off the cord on top (unless someone here convinces me not to for some reason)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

That loop of cord is called a "pull cord", that might give some idea of what is meant to be used for.
    As a bonus they make your stake a bit more visible, particularly the Ti and plain aluminium types.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++