WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default fearfull moments...

Have you ever had any frightening experiences or close shaves of any kind on the AT,ie. falls down rock faces, miscalculating on food/water, etc. etc.....
    Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hatred. And hatred leads to the dark side.

Images

I was climbing about 5 miles before I got into sages ravine and it was ice waterfalls on every ledge than climbing out of sages ravine going south It was for sure a bit hairy in febuary.ky

Tricky....I almost slipped down an ice waterfall in the catskills once. Pretty scary.

Tented on Cheoah Bald. Woke up in the middle of the night in the middle of a thunder and lightning storm. Terrifying. Still not sure how I made it out of that one alive.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Quote Originally Posted by longshank
    Tricky....I almost slipped down an ice waterfall in the catskills once. Pretty scary.
    Did you have any trust worthy partners to pull you out of there????
    Throwing pearls to swine.

Images

tell me more shanky,ky

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

I had a bout of hypothermia on the way up to Franconia Ridge on my thru in 2003. I was hiking with a really bad kidney stone disease (unknown at the time) and it all started with cramping, nausea etc. It didn't take long before things started to get fuzzy. I sat down on a cold rock and began to sweat profusely and went into a rapid tailspin. Two of the other hikers I was with realized that I was not keeping up and doubled back to check on me. They got me out of my wet cold clothes and into my down sleeping bag. After about 34 minutes or so I came around and was able to get back into North Woodstock on my own power. After taking the rest of the day off to relax and rehydrate I headed out again then next morning and continued on.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Luckily for me, One "kirk mcquest", if I recall his name correctly, was there to lend a hand. A real hero, that guy...

Quote Originally Posted by longshank
    Luckily for me, One "kirk mcquest", if I recall his name correctly, was there to lend a hand. A real hero, that guy...
    Just doing my job

Had a hit of hypothermia once too. Coming out of Erwin it was drizzling and I just kept hiking. Got to the shelter and the second I stopped all my heat just went away. I crawled into my bag, cooked up some hot food, and fell asleep. Yeah, the falling asleep thing wasn't too brilliant. Looking back I would have had the others in the shelter keep me awake. Woke up the next morning though, so it couldn't have been too bad.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

One of my tight spots came in Sages Ravine also, in late March 1975. There was still snow on the north-facing slopes, and the Ravine was totally encrusted in ice. The stream was overflowing with snowmelt, and at least back then, there was no bridge. Someone had thrown a deadfall over the creek, which was okay until you got to the middle where the trunk turned down and to the side while getting considerably narrower.

My 2 hiking buddies and I unhooked our hipbelts, loosened our straps, and tip-toed across without incident. On the way up the (south) side of the Ravine, I slipped on the ice and "turtled" down the icy bank toward the stream about 20 feet away. I finally jammed my foot at the base of an old sapling to halt my progress, and managed to crawl back to the trail. Definitely a close call.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Chased by a bull out west once. Ran into some trees and waited for him to go away. Which he did not. Finally, we came out yelling and throwing rocks and he ran away. We named him 'Bosephus', and took his presence as a good omen. Saw him several times more during the hike.

I ran into two "hunters" near Glastenbury Mtn in VT. One was carrying a pistol and the other a saw-offed shotgun. They were totally not cool and acted like they were looking for a fight. I was prepared to pull out my lighter and wave it at them if they threatened to shoot.

Images

I slipped on a rock in the trail, my ankle collapsed and I went crashing to the ground. My ankle was OK, but I skimmed just above my eyebrow on another rock. Another 1/4 inch and I would have hit my head hard enough to knock me out. Shook me up for the rest of the day.

In 97' early on in my hike I tried to push on to the "next selter" on an icy rainy afternoon. Being a novice I didnt yet understand my limits I shivered along until I started to feel a little loopy and out of touch. I thought I had better set up the tent for the night and stopped right at the knarly old tree at the Ga. border in that little valley, heated up some food just past my vestibule and got into some warm dry clothes and my sleeping bag. warmed up and waited it out till the next morning catnapping and listening to the tiny radio I had on the storms passing through the area. Looking back now I realize I was going hypotermic and I made the right decision in stopping short for the day.

once while doing a section in conn., my freind ran out of steam completely about 1/2 mile from the shelter. We had pushed 22 miles that day, and it was dark. he couldn't feel his arms, and he colapsed on the ground, panting. I left him there, close to running out of juice myself, and pushed on in the dark to the shelter, dropped my pack, and went back to help him in. By this time it was pitch black, and the trail to the shelter was like straight down a rock face, practically, I fell three times, my pack flew off, and I was cloudy and confused.

Images

shanky probably the shelter after or before New dandsbury something like that.roughest shelter to get to I believe that I have encountered,ky

I think it was the one b4 salisbury, we stayed at the white hart inn the next day. It was downright treacherous hiking to get to that shelter, and the water source was kinda skanky.

Images

I haved hiked that section several times and do not like that shelter very much very rocky getting down to it and Salsbury was the town.ky

alot of mosquiteoes as well..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++