WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Is there public transportation from Mammoth Lakes to Lone Pine? Two questions

I may hike northbound from Lone Pine to Yousemite.
    1. Is there transportation from Yosemite to Mammoth Lakes?
    2. Is therer public transportation between Mammoth Lakes and Lone Pine?

Sorry for the Yosemite Spelling. . .

Yep..look up ESTA web site...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

If everything is operational on the dates you need, I believe YARTS can get you between Yosemite and Mammoth Lakes. From there, Eastern Sierra Transit can get you between Mammoth and Lone Pine.
    You'd have to check bus schedules to determine if it's possible to do it all in one day.
    I once looking into the other direction... park a car in Lone Pine and take public transportation to Yosemite. That trip (two years ago) had an overlap of only about 10 minutes between the EST drop off in Mammoth and the YARTS pickup in the same general area (and the two bus stops were NOT in the same location, so a short walk of <1 mile was required).

1. y
    2. y

you'll still have to get via hitch, shuttle, walk, uber, or taxi from the tiny town stop on HWY 395 called LP up the whitney portal Rd to WP TH. Dont rec you walk this road to the TH when its hot. If you hitch youll very likely get a ride.

Where In Lone Pine can you leave your car parked for more than 15 days?

Where in Lone PIne can I leave my car for an extended period of time?

Yarts bus runs between Mammoth Lakes and Yosemite.
    Eastern Sierra Transit Authority runs buses between Lone Pine and Mammoth Lakes.
    Schedules between the 2 lines often don't line up well, so you may have to stay overnight in Mammoth Lakes before catching your next bus. Be aware that the bus schedules can differ between weekdays and weekends and whether or not you are in summer or the shoulder seasons.

I've heard of some hotels in Lone Pine allowing a vehicle to be left for a small fee, but have never personally done so. Try calling Dow Villa or the hostel there and ask them since those places are popular with hikers. You could just leave it at the Whintey Portal trailhead where you will start hiking. Personally, I normally leave my vehicle in Yosemite at one of their trailhead parking areas. Last fall, my SUV left in Yosemite Valley near Half Dome Village was just fine when I came back 16 days later.

Quote Originally Posted by Besalu View Post
    Where in Lone PIne can I leave my car for an extended period of time?
    Whitney Portal

In addition to recs given try the LP Chamber of Commerce next to the U-HAUL and Old LP Inn. I never have but I know of others who've safely left vehicless in these places. There's also the Library parking lot as well as a bunch of biz that if asked nicely and be willing to offer a storage fee that I'm sure would help. Don't know anything abut the LP AP but it might have parking. Lastly, check LP street side parking regs. I've known one hiker who left a vehicle by the LP PO for several days.

Bunch of places in ML including the FS CG that has let a vehicle park.

Google has answers. Use your ph. HYOH. Have fun.

I can leave it at the Whitney Portal Overflow parking lot. It is free! I called and asked. they told me so.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Besalu View Post
    I can leave it at the Whitney Portal Overflow parking lot. It is free! I called and asked. they told me so.
    Leaving a vehicle at the portal is NOT without peril. I've heard stories of bears breaking into cars, mice or other critters climbing up into the engine compartment and chewing on wires and other components, and the occasional rock slide that has closed the road between the portal and Lone Pine.

I don't think any of these issues are frequent occurrences, but they are possibilities to be aware of.

Long term parking is available at the Lone Pine Chamber of Commerce for $25/week.

Don't leave food or empty coolers in your car and the bears will leave it alone. The marmots only eat brake lines in the spring and even then only at Mineral King. The Portal works fine, nobody I know has had problems there. The folks at the store are great, if you have any concerns call them. Doug is always happy to chew the fat.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Long term parking is available at the Lone Pine Chamber of Commerce for $25/week.

+1 That's a nice follow up link that offers greater details.

Don't leave food or "smellables" in your vehicle at the WP TH. Probably best to park near the WP TH parking lot entrance away from the store(very limited - extreme supplemental - food/snack options but including getting a sandwich and fries or onion rings), TH, and CG. You wouldn't be near rock fall either.

I was coming off a JMT SOBO seeing another party starting that scratched(not rubbed but scratched through the paint) the side of a very nice vehicle with trekking poles.

++ New Posts ++