Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Going Solo

I'm 61 and just completed my hike last November. My thru attempt in 2017 turned into a 2 year affair of several LASHes that I hiked pretty much alone. I actually embraced and enjoyed the solitude though I also enjoyed meeting loads of other hikers, a few who have turned out to be great friends. It's a cliche, but true "hike your own hike!" For me, my hike was the best time of my life and opened up the door for a viral wanderlust! Enjoy your hike, it will be awesome! https://nemophilisthikes.home.blog/

I'm 58 and will be attempting a Flip Flop Thru Hike (solo) at the end of April! Never too old!

Images

I hiked SOBO solo in 2006, aged 51. I'm planning a 3-month section (however far I get in three months), mostly solo, this summer. My husband will probably join me occasionally for a day or two. Hiking really isn't his thing--he has no interest in doing a long hike.

Unless you have a life partner or lifelong friend or family member who is as committed to the hike as you are, solo is the way to go. When you're hiking with other people, all decisions are compromises. (If you and your partner are not skilled at making jointly beneficial decisions, the process will bring out all the difficulties in your relationship.) When you're solo, you keep yourself and your health and well-being as the primary goal. Your hike will go better that way.

Especially going NOBO, you will probably find make some amazing lifelong friends, and will hike with them when it works well for you, and hike solo and/or with other people when your plans and needs change.

Good luck!
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Hike your own hike!

I support the solo adventure!

I am 55 yr old and will start my thru hike in March 2020, I am sure we will connect somewhere.
    My goal is the triple crown, so I will do them back to back

I'm from Scottsdale Az and hiking the same time, I am sure our paths will cross!

Images

Don't know if you are still checking in here but just back on line after a long break. I am looking at Flip Flop as I failed NOBO due to the death of my father and I had to leave the trail to settle his estate. Having taken time off from work and living in Maine I attempted a SOBO that same year late June. In that attempt I fell in the 100 mile wilderness and got a concussion. I left the trail after the fall due to my concerns about being in that area post head injury, worried if I had complications it would be hours before anyone could reach me with medical aid, was able to bail on one of the logging road crossings getting a ride from some kind fisherman out to Milo where my hubby picked me up. I found NOBO I didn't like the concern about making specific miles to reach specific hostels I had to make reservations at prior to ensure a bed....I like my comforts and getting off for a shower every 4 -5 days was part of my plan. The great number NOBO the hostels, shelters and camping sites fill up fast so I was feeling pressure to make miles and keeping a strict plan the first few weeks to meet my reserved stops. The SOBO brings the most difficult terrain in your first states of Maine and NH. As an "senior" hiker and plus size I wanted my next attempt (flip flop) to start at some of the easier terrain to build up my stamina, strength and get hiker legs for hitting the whites and Maine, rocks roots and terrain I am very familiar with having already hiked most of the AT in New England. Having a home in Maine allows me to take some time off between flipping back south with my family. Depending on my pace I may take 2 - 4 weeks to be with family before returning and hiking south. Wintering in Florida it will be easy for my husband to drive up to Georgia and meet me at the end of my hike, also son lives north of Atlanta and also would come join me at the finish.

Sounds good. For motivation, you must read the inspiration climbing journey of Arunima Sinha who was the first female amputee to climb Mount Everest.

Quote Originally Posted by LotusHeart143 View Post
    I am 55 yr old and will start my thru hike in March 2020, I am sure we will connect somewhere.
    My goal is the triple crown, so I will do them back to back
    I'll be 55 in 2020 and doing a solo flip-flop through hike starting mid-April. Maybe we will meet up on the trail.
    Best of fortune for your triple crown goal.

RE: Going Solo Miss.Entropy.

I am a SOBO solo female section hiker. Congratulations on your plan for your thru-hike in March 2020. Even if you fall into a "tramily" which happens organically, you will still hike your own hike (HYOH) because everyone in the group will have their own pace. What will mostly likely occur, if you decide to hike with a group, will be meet up points where you all can gather later in the day for lunch and/or for camping together. So, in essence, you will still be a "solo female" hiker. The pros of a group you trust is that you all look out for each other. This can be true during river crossings during the summer when the snow melts elevates the water levels and sometimes turns them into rapids. In addition, some establishments do not allow trekking poles and packs inside, whereby you will have to leave them outside, which I don't mind, but it is a consideration nevertheless, if you are not used to leaving your stuff "unattended."

I do not see any cons to hiking the AT solo. Early to mid March is a good time, as it is ahead of the "hiker bubble." As the weather gets warmer, you will experience many day hikers on trail. Just keep in mind that when you get to the Smokies, day hikers and section hikers have first dibs at the shelters. If you like your "alone" time, I would recommend finding a good stealth site that is away from the downslope of a mountain...winds can be fierce on the AT. In the Smokies, however, it is a requirement you stay in the shelters. I like the solitude of hiking alone. Happy trails! 🌺

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++