Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-16-2018
    Location
    Enola, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    4

    Default Permethrin on Hammock?

    Hi all, I'm transferring out of ground dwelling to a hammock and have a Dutch hammock on order with an Enlightened equipment underquilt and cuben tarp from Hammock Gear... just curious as I would treat my tents and any non cuben gear with permethrin and wondered if anyone does this with hammocks here? Which components if any at all?
    Thanks
    Stull

    Oh, and I'm super pumped to get one and I'm sure my shoulder and lower back will be too

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stull View Post
    Hi all, I'm transferring out of ground dwelling to a hammock and have a Dutch hammock on order with an Enlightened equipment underquilt and cuben tarp from Hammock Gear... just curious as I would treat my tents and any non cuben gear with permethrin and wondered if anyone does this with hammocks here? Which components if any at all?
    Thanks
    Stull

    Oh, and I'm super pumped to get one and I'm sure my shoulder and lower back will be too
    I use Martins 10% concentrate. Even though they recommend against clothes, a lot of people use it with at least 20:1 dilution which I hear is the same as their spray for clothes and sawyers. I dunk my hammock in a bucket along with some other clothings. Just take care around pets and exposed skin. Completely dry in indirect sunlight.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-16-2018
    Location
    Enola, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Thanks! Good to know and I'll look that product up!

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-01-2016
    Location
    Chattanooga, Tennessee
    Posts
    768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alt.thomas View Post
    I use Martins 10% concentrate. Even though they recommend against clothes, a lot of people use it with at least 20:1 dilution which I hear is the same as their spray for clothes and sawyers. I dunk my hammock in a bucket along with some other clothings. Just take care around pets and exposed skin. Completely dry in indirect sunlight.
    I think you want 19:1 dilution to get 0.5%.

    20:1 means 1 part in 21.

    Do not allow cats anywhere near the stuff.

  5. #5
    Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.
    Join Date
    12-13-2004
    Location
    Essex, Vermont
    Age
    64
    Posts
    2,253

    Default

    I use the Sawyer spray on my hammock, following the directions on the bottle.

  6. #6
    Journeyman Journeyer
    Join Date
    08-09-2016
    Location
    Central Kentucky
    Age
    59
    Posts
    156
    Images
    6

    Default

    I would send the hammock to Insect Shield and let them do the treatment. It will last the life of the hammock and won't be very expensive.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-01-2017
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Age
    47
    Posts
    153

    Default

    I bought the concentrate from Amazon and mix a gallon of it a couple of times a year. I soak my hammock and all of my clothes in it (including underwear - ticks like warm moist areas and I don't want them there.) I spray my quilts as well (I don't want to soak those and have to dry them) but it doesn't stick too well on the EE quilts because of the DWR finish they apply. I would just try doing a sample first and make sure that you don't have a reaction to it before you do a mass soaking like this though.

  8. #8
    Rain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-07-2003
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Age
    68
    Posts
    6,110
    Images
    620

    Default

    Yes, I soak my hammock and clothing. I spray my shoes and pack. Not my quilts.
    ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit..... Numbers 35

    www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

    .

  9. #9
    Registered User BuckeyeBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-18-2012
    Location
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Age
    59
    Posts
    1,445
    Journal Entries
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grubbster View Post
    I would send the hammock to Insect Shield and let them do the treatment. It will last the life of the hammock and won't be very expensive.
    Everything you send to Insect Shield has to be washed before sending. I would also check with Dutch to see what re recommends. I have WBBB XLC that is a double layer with an under quilt and a under quilt protector. II never had a problems with bugs. I did contact Chris at ULA and Hr told me to get the spray if I wanted to treat my backpack.
    Blackheart

  10. #10

    Default

    I know I will not be liked for the but please only use pesticides according to it's label. Martins (and almost all concentrates) is not labeled for clothes for a reason. Use the sawyer spray or for larger items JT Eaton 209-W1G. Be safe around pesticides.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-01-2016
    Location
    Chattanooga, Tennessee
    Posts
    768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SC_Forester View Post
    I know I will not be liked for the but please only use pesticides according to it's label. Martins (and almost all concentrates) is not labeled for clothes for a reason. Use the sawyer spray or for larger items JT Eaton 209-W1G. Be safe around pesticides.
    I reluctantly second this, having used Gordon's from TSC ... my treated pants ended up smelling like kerosene for a long time (had to store them in the garage for weeks/months), and breathing that stuff is likely pretty bad for your health (VOCs). It is cheap, yes, but it's a false economy if you're damaging your health.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    05-11-2018
    Location
    Patterson, Missouri
    Age
    45
    Posts
    3

    Default

    I used the Sawyer spray on mine last summer, worked great hung 8 nights on a Quetico Park CA and Boundary Waters MN canoe trip with no bites through the hammock. I did wake up to a cloud of mosquitoes under my fly. You learn to talk your bladder down until full daylight.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-08-2014
    Location
    St Augustine, Florida
    Age
    55
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Ace hardware sales a product for bed bugs that is much cheaper and also has permethrin in it. Since it is used to spray on a mattress, it then must be healthier then some of the others. Canít remember the name but worth a search.

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •