Default UTI Treatments for Trail

I just had this thought pop up last night considering how common UTI's can be for women. Besides being careful for prevention, what treatments to people bring with them? Ural powder etc?

Images

As stated, preventing the UTI is the absolute best way to avoid UTI's. For those who have not experienced the pain of a UTI/given it much thought, that starts with good hygiene and drinking lots of water.

There are many do-it-yourself treatments but if you suspect a UTI, it is always best to head to a doctor and make sure of what you are dealing with. UTIs can lead to kidney infections and that can lead to permanent kidney damage. So, I would recommend heading to a doctor to get a UTI test as the first option.

However, if you can't get off the trail...or the doctor office is not open on a weekend...or...

There is a product out there called "AZO Urinary Relief." It does also come in maximum strength. AZO does also make a urinary test strip so you can perform an on-trail test, but I am not sure how accurate it is. These are things that can be purchased in advance and carried if you are prone to UTIs. I have no affiliation with AZO, but I do have friends who have had good luck with this product. Everyone is different... There are also other over the counter products for UTI relief. There are also natural means (real cranberry juice, etc) for avoiding UTIs.

The basic things to do on the trail/in a town without medical care:

• Drink tons of water- this will help flush the bacteria out
    • Take AZO pills to manage pain (they are made especially for UTI pain)
    • Drink real cranberry juice (not the sugary commercial ones)
    • Avoid all alcohol, caffeine, tea and other dehydrating beverages that can irritate the bladder
    • Place a warm compress on the abdomen to manage the pain.
    • Once you feel better, continue with over the counter Cranberry pills or extracts to prevent potential UTI.

Also check out a supplement called D-Mannose. From WebMD: https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/in...1114/d-mannose

As someone who is susceptible, I take one a day for prevention while on the trail.

Baking soda in water works wonders. Google it.
    AT, Long Trail, Loyalsock Trail, Art Loeb Trail, Cranberry Lake 50, Foothills Trail, PCT, CDT, Uinta Highline Trail, Lone Star Trail, Oregon Coast Trail, Sheltowee Trace Trail, BMT, AZT

Keeping clean and go commando. It was not even a thought. However if you are prone, you might want to talk to your dr about your concerns.

Unfortunately, wearing tight underwear can cause UTI. I wear shorts to prevent UTI. It really helps. Some older people cannot wear loose underwear because they need the support, but if you can then it is a good idea.

Cranberry juice is a good idea if you can stomach the taste. I really wish there were more natural herb stores in trail towns. I was able to get some products in Damascus from one of the vendors at trail days that sold herbal tonics and other related products.

Any food high in vitamin c prevents infection. Lemons you can add to your drinking water. Grapefruit or oranges are also good preventatives. You could just carry a Vitamin supplement.

++ New Posts ++