WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I do a lot of solo hiking, backpacking, back-country skiing, snowshoeing, a lot off trail, and also paddling, and mountain biking. I've wanted to buy one of these emergency satellite communicators for a number of years. But, since my wife isn't too concerned, I keep finding other things I want to spend my money on more. Last year, it was a new Mountain Bike. This year it's been a new canoe and associated gear.

However, with my 20 year old son, who has type-1 diabetes, starting the PCT at the end of the month we'll be investing in one of the Garmin InReach units (hopefully the mini) by the end of the month so we can reliably coordinate his resupply of insulin and other medical supplies that are life critical and have to stay refrigerated . . . nothing like paying for overnight delivery of resupply!

Ah, the adventure of a lifetime . . .
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by 4shot View Post
    I am curious...what do you prefer and are willing to pay for the 2 way comms?
    Specific to backpacking:
    - w/ elderly parents and a problem child I may need to be summoned home.
    - w/ a trick knee, my most like scenario is needing someone to hike crutches/water to me, and then carry my pack and help me out of the woods - don't want to call in the helicopter/S&R cavalry.
    - although lower powered than a PLB, you get positive confirmation each and every message has gone through - and even in the worst conditions (deep valley/heavy canopy) that may just mean waiting ~15mins for a satellite to pass directly overhead.
    - you need to be conscious to push the SOS button on a PLB - say you fall on a rock scramble and knock yourself out. The tracking function of 2-ways would show stationary on a web map to the Mrs at home. Without a 'I'm OK and stopping' message, she knows that's a problem after a couple hours. (I also have 'entering risk situation' set as one of my free messages to put her on notice for particularly tricky spots.)

I also solo travel/camp off-grid by campervan, touring/ADV motorcycle, and bicycle.... the tracking function is particularly important for my motorcycles, where a fall could mean sliding off the road into the woods/ditch. Lastly, we are headed to Europe next month and will get a temporary Int'l plan for the wife's phone.... I'll just use my Inreach for texting to save money.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by reppans View Post
    Specific to backpacking:
    - w/ elderly parents and a problem child I may need to be summoned home.
    - w/ a trick knee, my most like scenario is needing someone to hike crutches/water to me, and then carry my pack and help me out of the woods - don't want to call in the helicopter/S&R cavalry.
    - although lower powered than a PLB, you get positive confirmation each and every message has gone through - and even in the worst conditions (deep valley/heavy canopy) that may just mean waiting ~15mins for a satellite to pass directly overhead.
    - you need to be conscious to push the SOS button on a PLB - say you fall on a rock scramble and knock yourself out. The tracking function of 2-ways would show stationary on a web map to the Mrs at home. Without a 'I'm OK and stopping' message, she knows that's a problem after a couple hours. (I also have 'entering risk situation' set as one of my free messages to put her on notice for particularly tricky spots.)

I also solo travel/camp off-grid by campervan, touring/ADV motorcycle, and bicycle.... the tracking function is particularly important for my motorcycles, where a fall could mean sliding off the road into the woods/ditch. Lastly, we are headed to Europe next month and will get a temporary Int'l plan for the wife's phone.... I'll just use my Inreach for texting to save money.

Hope that helps.
    very helpful indeed. Thanks! It's weird how technology works...years ago, we just went out and planned (and hoped for) the best. There were no other options. But now that this stuff is available, I would hate to be laying somewhere with a broken leg or whatever thinking about the $300 I saved by not putting one in my pack. If I were to stay strictly on the AT for hiking purposes, I would take my chances knowing someone is very likely to walk by in a few hours. Plus, cell coverage is pretty good as well nowadays.

...years ago, we just went out and planned (and hoped for) the best. There were no other options. But now that this stuff is available . . .
    I beg to differ.

Years ago? Not than many. Heck 4shot, you've even got a couple years on me.

I would argue that we didn't "hope for the best" any more in the past than we do now. Years ago, we would be less likely to head out into potentially dangerous situations without a partner. Now days, especially with technology, but also with more people out on the trails, lots more people travel solo. In the past, we were super careful to have contact points either loved ones expecting us back home or pilots expecting to find us to drop off resupply.

And finally, yeah, it was more of a risk and accepting that risk was part of the adventure which means many people would not do things that more people do now with better communication. But it wasn't "hoping for the best" it was choosing to accept the risk and managing that risk with the communication tools we had available at the time.

There was not an expectation of being rescued when things went wrong, there was an expectation of managing the best self rescue possible and accepting the consequences if you failed. Getting rescued was something that might happen if you were lucky, but never expected or depended on.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    I beg to differ.

I would argue that we didn't "hope for the best" any more in the past than we do now. Years ago, we would be less likely to head out into potentially dangerous situations without a partner. Now days, especially with technology, but also with more people out on the trails, lots more people travel solo. In the past, we were super careful to have contact points either loved ones expecting us back home or pilots expecting to find us to drop off resupply.

And finally, yeah, it was more of a risk and accepting that risk was part of the adventure which means many people would not do things that more people do now with better communication. But it wasn't "hoping for the best" it was choosing to accept the risk and managing that risk with the communication tools we had available at the time.

There was not an expectation of being rescued when things went wrong, there was an expectation of managing the best self rescue possible and accepting the consequences if you failed. Getting rescued was something that might happen if you were lucky, but never expected or depended on.
    Downside of the internet is squabbling over semantics. We did the best planning that we could to minimize risk. But there was always the knowledge that, as you say, something might happen in which rescue was not available. That is where the "hoping for" in my sentence came in, I didn't mean to say we just walked out the door and relied on sheer luck. Nowadays, there is still risk....but the probabilty of getting rescue in isolated places during life threatening (not sprained ankle situations) has been reduced tremendously by these devices.

. . . the probabilty of getting rescue in isolated places during life threatening (not sprained ankle situations) has been reduced tremendously by these devices.
    No doubt. Extraordinary true. And actually, even for sprained ankles, which is probably one of the down sides.

Failure of a current model Spot, and especially failure of a current model InReach are extremely rare. To suggest that they "may or may not work" is a significant exageration made by TundraCamper. A PLB may or may not work also. Heck, ever time you put the brakes on in your car, they may or may not work . . . but really, all these are pretty darn reliable and all of them are very specifically designed for emergencies. So again TundraCamper, to suggest that the PLBs are designed for emergencies as if the Spot and InReach are not is patently false.
    Not sure that's what I said. I simply stated I would want the 5 Watt broadcast power of a PLB over two satellite systems (plus a loca. Waco ) vs the 0.5 Watts of a communicator in an emergency.

BTW, InReach batteries can go dead as well.

Here's an article published 4/24/18:
    https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topic...locator-beacon

which states

"Will it successfully transmit an SOS when you most need it to? What if you are unconscious?

For SOS functionality, the long track record and dual transmission power together with the COSPAS/SARSAT satellite network make the ACR ResQLink the clear winner, and virtually any PLB will perform better in this capacity than the SEND devices we tested here."

The author also discusses theoretical cases when the other devices are better, such as when you are unconscious. I'm just going off what I know. Clearly there are cases where a communicator can have an advantage. For me, in a real SHTF case, I go with the PLB.

...........I suspect a PLB is more reliable than a Sport or InReach. But, how nice would it be for your family to get a text message saying your got lost and will be home a day late, don't worry. Or, how nice would it be if you could communicate with rescuers in an emergency and speed up a rescue operation, with more information, or know whether help will arrive in 6 hours or two days?
    In addition to the higher power satellite signal of the PLB, it also sends out a 121.5 signal that rescue personnel can use to home in on your location. When you absolutely positively need help I believe the PLB is the way to go.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    In addition to the higher power satellite signal of the PLB, it also sends out a 121.5 signal that rescue personnel can use to home in on your location. When you absolutely positively need help I believe the PLB is the way to go.
    They are also more rigorously designed to be dependable. And transmit continuously for 24 hours at design output

I carried a PLB on the 200+ missions I flew in Vietnam. The technology has improved a lot since then. I now carry the Garmin InReach because I value two-way communication. The PLB sends out only two pieces of information, "I need to be rescued!!" and "This is my location." The InReach allows me to send out more specific information. For example, on one hike one of my boots came apart. It wasn't an issue that warranted a rescue, but it sure helped to be able to ask my wife to bring another pair of boots to the next trailhead.
    Shutterbug

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Usually alone, I carry the ACR PLB. I've got an older model from 2007, so it's bigger & heavier than the newer ones. It's the ultimate 1st aid kit. In America, you get what you pay for. A quality satellite transceiver will typically work under light cover.
    Be Prepared

I carried an InReach on the GA section of the AT last year and was less than satisfied with the coverage. I very frequently found that I had Verizon reception on my phone but the InReach was derping out; running the battery trying to send/receive a text for 30 minutes at a time. Lots of trees and terrain made the satellite signal problematic I think. I'm just going to stick with my phone this year. I'd probably carry the Inreach somewhere that had more open sky and less cell phone coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    ........... The PLB sends out only two pieces of information, "I need to be rescued!!" and "This is my location." ........
    That is all I need. This thread is like which is better canister stoves or alcohol stoves. Each are good and have their best uses. Use the one you like because even a SPOT is better than nothing if you get in a jam.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Based on what I've read the PLB sat network is much more robust than either of the other private systems

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    and every airliner flying overhead will pick up the signal and report to ATC
    probably also military aircraft too....
    and some private aircraft will monitor this as well.
    ....and then the Civil Air Patrol will launch and search for you by air, homing in on that signal.

I did quite a bit of research on these things a couple years ago. I was just about to pull the trigger on one, then circumstances changed....
    anyway, I think it's best to sum up this way
    if your purpose is uni-task, find me now...the PLB is best by a long shot.
    if you also want to be able to send "all is good" or "I need help but not emergency, meet me at the trail head" sorts of messages then the spot is probably good enouigh
    and then with the inreach you can have a conversation with rescuers for all sorts of things....

So now I'm thinking I may buy an inreach some day.....

I do and I have more than a couple out there. Quite often attached on the top of the pack.
    Not so much for myself but it gives the folk back home a sense of security.

Wife agreed with me NOBO'ing the AT next year on one condition, I carry some sort of device in case I get in a jam. Currently looking at the inReach mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Crushed Grapes View Post
    Wife agreed with me NOBO'ing the AT next year on one condition, I carry some sort of device in case I get in a jam. Currently looking at the inReach mini.
    personally, I think one of these devices might be an overkill on the AT. If you are NOBO'ing, I just don't envision a scenario where you wouldn't have someone walk by within a 12 hour window at max. (I've hiked it NOBO btw). OTOH, what's $400 bucks or so if it means the missus is happy.

personally, I think one of these devices might be an overkill on the AT. If you are NOBO'ing, I just don't envision a scenario where you wouldn't have someone walk by within a 12 hour window at max. (I've hiked it NOBO btw). OTOH, what's $400 bucks or so if it means the missus is happy.
    Haha, thanks for the input! Yeah I think this is a must. We've been on backpacking trips together where I've fallen (on the most mundane, tired, end of the day type situations) and had some close calls with near-broken bones, so I'll take one for the team and keep the little lady happy at home lol

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Me! Me!
    A real PLB. Single function. SOS.
    ACR ResQ Link+. It rides on my pack’ shoulder strap. Always at hand.
    https://www.acrartex.com/products/ca....Oxq6xxfl.dpbs
    Don’t leave home without it.
    Wayne
    +1, at least when hiking solo or with others on any less-used trails
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Me! Me!
    A real PLB. Single function. SOS.
    ACR ResQ Link+. It rides on my pack’ shoulder strap. Always at hand.
    https://www.acrartex.com/products/ca....Oxq6xxfl.dpbs
    Don’t leave home without it.
    Wayne
    Just ordered one for my trip that begins a week from tomorrow. Just could not rationalize NOT having one given the cost. Can't imagine being in an emergency situation and knowing that I was going to leave a couple hundred bucks in the estate because of my frugality. Thanks to all who provided input.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++