WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne View Post
    I carried an InReach on the GA section of the AT last year and was less than satisfied with the coverage. I very frequently found that I had Verizon reception on my phone but the InReach was derping out; running the battery trying to send/receive a text for 30 minutes at a time. Lots of trees and terrain made the satellite signal problematic I think. I'm just going to stick with my phone this year. I'd probably carry the Inreach somewhere that had more open sky and less cell phone coverage.
    I have noticed the same in GA with my InReach the past few weeks, but did not have this issue last summer. One messsge took over ninety minutes to send while the device was on the side of my pack. Usually it takes ten to twenty minutes. I also had missing gps points while tracking. These issues seem to be new. Last summer messages were coming and going much faster.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    I have noticed the same in GA with my InReach the past few weeks, but did not have this issue last summer. One messsge took over ninety minutes to send while the device was on the side of my pack. Usually it takes ten to twenty minutes. I also had missing gps points while tracking. These issues seem to be new. Last summer messages were coming and going much faster.
    More users, same satellite?

Here's a dumb question.If I get a PLB and summon search and rescue in the event of a bona fide life threatening issue,who pay's for the search and rescue and who gets to say what that costs?

I am interested in getting one because I can see the value of having it as insurance for the worst case scenario.Much easier to summon a helicopter or professional help over injuring someone more by a lame attempt to drag them out of the woods or waste valuable time running for help because your phone isn't working.

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Here's a dumb question.If I get a PLB and summon search and rescue in the event of a bona fide life threatening issue,who pay's for the search and rescue and who gets to say what that costs?

I am interested in getting one because I can see the value of having it as insurance for the worst case scenario.Much easier to summon a helicopter or professional help over injuring someone more by a lame attempt to drag them out of the woods or waste valuable time running for help because your phone isn't working.
    Just got the inReach mini. Up to now, I was seldom on a trail wo cell service, but now on part of trt with a lot of no-service hiking.
    There are a couple of insurance plans you can get when you sign up that will take care of bills associated with a rescue.
    I'm an ole geezer an usually hiking alone. The kids start to panic if they don't hear from me. Plus I like to be able to text with them anyway, so looking forward to using this gizmo soon.

Journal Entries

Counter question:

With your arse in a bind, whats saving your life worth to you? Or a loved one?
    $1000? $10,000? $100,0000?

Every penny you have isnt worth much to you if your dead

But everyone wants a free ride...after the fact.

SAR is usually free.
    Done by local governmental agencies
    There ARE places that will charge you today if overtly negligent.

Air ambulance is a different story.
    These are private ambulance services
    They arent cheap.
    If you require one the bill can be tens of thousands of dollars for short ride.
    Air ambulance helicopter, pilot, trained EMTs, add up to about $1000/ minute.
    Good insurance will cover it if necessary. Sometimes not so good insurance leaves you holding rest of charge.
    You can research peoples stories on internet who were stuck with bills.

Go play miles from help, need rescue, you deserve to pay.
    Need your life saved by medical, you deserve to pay the charge

Live so far from hospital its required , your problem too.
    Personal responsibility should be in there somewhere.

In certain places covered by particular ambulance services, you can pay yrly fee and have free service. Same for air med. $85/yr. Parts of sierra are covered by different companies, join and pay yrly fee if you spend a lot of time in their zone, and be worry free.

You can also purchase travel trip insurance for discrete trips .

If you choose not too....your choice.

Having these $$$$$$ machines and people on standby 24 hrs hrs per day is $$$$.
    They also make many trips they cant collect on.
    My brothers wife had aneurism and was air med to atlanta ...intensive care air ambulance. $500,000. They wrote it off because she died later. No charge. Cant collect from deceased or indigent or low income.

But someone has to pay for it to exist. So just like taxes, and all medical care, to if you can, you do. You subsidize those that cant.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-03-2018 at 19:29.

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    Just got the inReach mini. Up to now, I was seldom on a trail wo cell service, but now on part of trt with a lot of no-service hiking.
    There are a couple of insurance plans you can get when you sign up that will take care of bills associated with a rescue.
    I'm an ole geezer an usually hiking alone. The kids start to panic if they don't hear from me. Plus I like to be able to text with them anyway, so looking forward to using this gizmo soon.
    I'm getting one for my NOBO thru next year. I have At&t so I know my cell coverage will be crap. Wife said the only way I could go is if I take it. I was hesitant at first, but the piece of mind for both of us is good.

Interested to hear your thoughts after some use! Definitely check back in to the thread.

I have an InReach. It has yet to fail to send a message. I check in twice daily as I hike solo and don't use tracking...two missed messages and friends and family send the cavalry out...they have my route, my itinerary and all the emergency contact info they could need...rangers, SO etc

The ONLY time I had an issue sending a check-in message was under some extremely dense foliage in Washington...moved 100ft to slightly clearer sky, no issue. I went with the InReach for the two-way communication (needed once when my water filter froze). I like that I can inform rescue of exactly what they might be coming into...broken arm that is minor or internal bleeding and head injury that is immediately life-threatening...helps them focus and organize the best resources for the specific situation vs not knowing and hauling out all the big guns every time...that's responsible SOS use in my opinion, just as much as knowing when you can likely self-rescue and just do it.

As far as charging...I'm in two minds. I think there should be a line...true rescue where things just went pear-shaped, no. Where people were reckless or negligent or just plan wasteful of resources, yes. I don't think people should be fearful of calling for help because of a huge bill when they truly need it but I also think people need to not put themselves in a situation they wouldn't if they didn't have an SOS button at their fingertips. Even reading the Spot rescue archives confirms this...there are some stories I'd cringe over and be humiliated if they were me.

Journal Entries

We are fortunate to have as much free rescue services as we do. But it stops at serious medical care for most part.

Honestly, everyone should have to purchase backcountry rescue insurance and be self sufficient.
    Why should 99% of population that never ventures off pavement have to pay for the few that do?

If everyone did, it would be cheap, $25/yr or such. .best part..would be peace of mind.
    Having insurance gives you peace of mind.

Just like when i ski in canada....got to get trip insurance, my medical do not apply there.
    Family of 4 for a week at inbounds resort is about $200. Not too painful, considering the possible consequences of not paying it.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-03-2018 at 21:04.

I wonder about the costs when the air ambulance is military...
    Coast Guard, National Guard, Air Force, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    We are fortunate to have as much free rescue services as we do. But it stops at serious medical care for most part.

Honestly, everyone should have to purchase backcountry rescue insurance and be self sufficient.
    Why should 99% of population that never ventures off pavement have to pay for the few that do?

If everyone did, it would be cheap, $25/yr or such. .best part..would be peace of mind.
    Having insurance gives you peace of mind.

Just like when i ski in canada....got to get trip insurance, my medical do not apply there.
    Family of 4 for a week at inbounds resort is about $200. Not too painful, considering the possible consequences of not paying it.
    We don't pay for the fire service and no one complains about that, we don't pay for law enforcement and again no one beeches...we "only" pay for medical care. We are the ONLY civilized western country to NOT provide health care as a right not a privilege to those who can afford it.

Default Do any of you carry a PLB?

I'm not sure if you guys realize that you can buy SAR insurance when you sign up for garmin service. the best was something between $100 and $200/year, and you get something like a million dollars to take care of bills related to rescue. includes air transport and whatever you need, I think. I didn't get it, so don't really know the specifics, but if you're thinking about rescue costs, you should definitely check this out

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    We don't pay for the fire service and no one complains about that, we don't pay for law enforcement and again no one beeches...we "only" pay for medical care. We are the ONLY civilized western country to NOT provide health care as a right not a privilege to those who can afford it.
    Most places your local taxes pay for fire and police services.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Journal Entries

Someone pays for everything.
    If not, its because someone with more money is paying their share .

The bottom 50% of wage earners in US pay an insignificant 1.85% of total income tax. Half the country.....gets a free ride with regard to virtually everything. Yet they clamor for more always .

My goal is actually to be one of them one day.

No income (but not no assets).

There always has been free healthcare for people that cant pay in us. But they want the same quality and choices as people that do pay get....or better. Instead of a free clinic, they want to go to an expensive dr., But not pay for it. Instead of being stabilized at private hospital, then moved to charity hospital, they want to stay at the nicer private hospital, but not pay.

People with nothing.....dont have to pay any bills. Because there is nothing anyone can take, and you cant refuse medical care to anyone because of inability to pay.

We have always had a right to healthcare in US.
    Just not a right to not pay full cost, for those that do have capability.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-04-2018 at 01:14.

Journal Entries
    Images

With the one-way version, I wonder under what circumstances most would push the button for the benefit of someone else they might happen upon.

I did find a link here with a list of companies that provide some sort of SAR insurance http://www.lovethebackcountry.com/ge...urance-summer/

If somebody had a back spasm like the one I had at home in 2005 I think it would be appropriate to call for help.
    Man,I hate it when that happens................

Journal Entries

I did find a link here with a list of companies that provide some sort of SAR insurance http://www.lovethebackcountry.com/ge...urance-summer/

If somebody had a back spasm like the one I had at home in 2005 I think it would be appropriate to call for help.
    Man,I hate it when that happens................
    World nomads is travel ins. I go to.
    Primarily because easy. Never had to test it.

Journal Entries

I get insurance for my log hikes, but no PLB. I figure if other hikers don't find me, the circulating vultures will guide them to me.
    Blackheart

I don’t get to hike long enough or far enough to warrant such a device

Anyone checked into the new Spot X device? Some aspects seem like a bit of overkill (QWERTY keyboard) and doesn't pair with a smartphone, but it's $100 less than the InReach mini, and seems to have more flexible plans https://gearjunkie.com/spot-x-2-way-...ssenger-review

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    With the one-way version, I wonder under what circumstances most would push the button for the benefit of someone else they might happen upon.
    The standard for pressing THE button for a stranger is the same as for myself: I believe the person may die or suffer serious bodily harm if not promptly evacuated. We are talking heart attack, a compound fracture, heat stroke, head injury, etc. And even if you do press THE button, if far back enough into the wilderness, help may just be too far away. Also remember that if you press that button someone back home gets a phone call to confirm your location. That someone will invariably stress that YOU are in serious trouble.
    Be Prepared

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++