WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

All bravado aside, it is almost 10 miles r/t and over 4000' elev gain.

10 miles r/t is a good day hike. Throw in 4000'+ elev gain and it become a good, stiff hike.

For mere mortals, it is a challenge.

If you are in shape, it is a good challenge.

If you are not in shape (as many thru-hikers starting out seem to be for some reason), it is a difficult and not-so-fun challenge.

Most people can do it, obviously. If you are in shape, it is more fun.
    Last edited by Mags; 09-12-2008 at 19:11.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Home-bound

I know this is an old thread, but I'm confused (future sobo, first time thru)--are these day hikers or thru hikers leaving their packs at the bottom of Katahdin? I figured lugging gear up the mountain would just be part of it...

Quote Originally Posted by Knox View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but I'm confused (future sobo, first time thru)--are these day hikers or thru hikers leaving their packs at the bottom of Katahdin? I figured lugging gear up the mountain would just be part of it...
    There is no need to lug your full pack to the top, as you have to come right back down again. Why make it any harder then it already is? Just carry enough food/water/clothes to make the round trip.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Knox View Post
    ....are these day hikers or thru hikers leaving their packs at the bottom of Katahdin? I figured lugging gear up the mountain would just be part of it...
    The first thing thru hikers need to learn is to not waste energy needlessly. It's a long walk from Katahdin to Springer. Save any surplus energy for exploring side trails to waterfalls and scenic overlooks -- not proving your physical prowess. That's a given if you manage to do the entire 2,175 miles.

If you have any energy left on the way down Katahdin (you won't) take a side trip to the summit of the Owl. It provides a different perspective on one of the great mountains of the east.

Weary

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Took me less than 4.5 hours up and back and I spent about 20 minutes at the sign talking to other hikers...

Anyway, now that I've tooted my horn....

The drill is to leave your regular pack at the ranger station and get a loaner day pack to carry snacks, water, etc..

It was cold when I got to the top but it was wind chill cold - the wind had to be blowing 30-40 mph up there... I could hold my hiking poles by the strap and let it hang loose and the wind would blow it at a 45* angle...

Oh... and you won't really need hiking poles either - they just get in the way.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

I climbed Katahdin in the August of 1978 ( I think). It was about 60 degrees when I strated. 50 and rain half way up. Sleet and snow on top. Be prepared. I was dumb enough to do it in a t-shirt.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

depending on how many miles/day you hike, you can do many days on the A.T. in GA, NC and TN on the AT and do more than 4,000 net elevation gain.... my question for those who have been there... how difficult was Katahdin compared to a climb like NOBOs face when they climb Roan Mtn?

my other comment is any climb's relative difficulty is very weather dependent... on a hot, humid day with temps in the 90s, a 2,000 ft climb can be an *ss kicker also

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    my question for those who have been there... how difficult was Katahdin compared to a climb like NOBOs face when they climb Roan Mtn?
    Comparing Roan Mt. to Kathadin is apples and oranges. They're completely different mountains.

Roughly, it's about 5 miles from Kathadin Stream Campground to Baxter Peak. The first mile is very easy. The second mile begins the climb - still typical AT fare. The third mile gets tougher and is basically going up climbing over and around boulders of various sizes. Mile 3.5 to mile 4 looked scary when I first saw it - durn near straight up over more boulders and is the really hard part. Mile 4 to Baxter Peak isn't bad at all after that climb.

Like someone else mentioned I also found it harder going down than up. In fact, my first thought when I got to Baxter Peak was "now I have to get down...".

Add some variety to you hike.
    Go up from Chimney Pond and down the Hunt (AT) trail.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Add some variety to you hike.
    Go up from Chimney Pond and down the Hunt (AT) trail.
    abol trail is a nice way up too......steep, but nice.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

The rangers at Baxter probably know this, but here's a question for serial climbers, with several assumptions:

The Abol Trail appears shorter and starts 200 feet higher than Katahdin Springs Campground (or maybe the ranger station). And it looks a little steeper in the final pitch to the table land.

The Hunt Trail/AT appears longer, with multiple pitches, but that aren't as high as the final pitch on Abol.

The Hunt/AT has several bolder exercises and scrambles. Don't know the trail condition on Abol.

Question(s): For those that have used both trails, which trail was easiest in terms of total energy expenditure (or how many times did you puke going up)? Is it a better strategy to go up the Abol and down the Hunt if you're a SOBO?

Images

I found the Hunt Trail easier in your terms. Abol is shorter but took me the same amount of time going up.

I think the Hunt Trail is better for first time climbers. Very slick view when you pop out of the scrubby trees.

Journal Entries

Just a couple of thoughts.

Katahdin is hard. Just not as hard as the rumors suggest. Thousands of people climb the mountain annually -- most first time day hikers, family groups, and children as young as six. Very few make the round trip in 4 hours, 20 minutes. I've been on the mountain a score of times, summer and winter. I've never come close to four hours. My first visit was probably my fastest I left Katahdin Stream at 9 a.m. via the Hunt Trail, went down the Saddle Trail and ended at Roaring Brook at 4 p.m. That's a seven hour round trip. Usually I figure on 9 or 10 hours at a comfortable pace.

DEET does work well against black flies, despite the reports to the contrary. It doesn't work mostly for those who don't apply it properly. It needs to be smeared on all exposed skin surfaces. I wear long sleeve shirts and long trousers to avoid having to apply the stuff more broadly than necessary.

The easy way up is to hike into Chimney Pond, camp, and then climb to the top the next morning -- and down the Hunt Trail if one is starting a thru hike.

Weary

For most people, Katahdin is an all day climb. If you are not use to a straight up climb and are not in decent shape, then you will be hurting, to say the least. Lots of house sized boulders to go up and over and a few iron bars thrown in to make it interesting. Add some serious wind and the climb becomes even more demanding. I tell everyone that the views are breathtaking and so is the climb. Yes...the ranger at Katahdin Stream campground (where the Birches shelters for long distance hikers is located) has loaner daypacks and it is a good idea to use this option. Take your time to enjoy as you'll be hurting for a few days after "doing the mountain". While you are up there, take time to check out the Knife Edge trail at Baxter Peak. You don't have to go out very far to reap the benefits and be impressed with the dropoffs. Nothing else like it on or near the Trail......Phil from Maine

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Flatulator View Post
    Lots of house sized boulders to go up and over and a few iron bars thrown in to make it interesting. Add some serious wind and the climb becomes even more demanding. ... While you are up there, take time to check out the Knife Edge trail at Baxter Peak. You don't have to go out very far to reap the benefits and be impressed with the dropoffs. Nothing else like it on or near the Trail.
    Are the iron climbing supports on the Hunt Trail only, or also on the Abol Trail? The Abol looks quite severe. Was any of you who's done it worried about slides or poor footing, given that much of the trail goes through an old slide?

As to the Knife Edge - I'd love to be able to do it, but believe my mild acrophobia might quickly become severe out on it. One thing at a time - Mt. Washington and Franconia first, then the K. ...
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    Are the iron climbing supports on the Hunt Trail only,
    Couple of hand holds and foot placement. One spot that you will want to put a knee down on flat granite the first time. Hat or glove under knee helps.

The Abol looks quite severe. Was any of you who's done it worried about slides or poor footing, given that much of the trail goes through an old slide?
    Abol has some loose scree and a couple steep stop and look spots that might be a problem if heights make you "swimmy." Not that the Hunt Trail is flat...

As to the Knife Edge - I'd love to be able to do it, but believe my mild acrophobia might quickly become severe out on it. One thing at a time - Mt. Washington and Franconia first, then the K. ...
    Pick those off first. If you freeze up with heights, you need to deal with that before you do the Knifedge (easier from Pamola to Baxter as it is uphill.) Easier if you face the rock and don't look past your feet.

Plenty of good hiking out there without looking over the edge and feeling like crap.

The Hunt trail (the AT) does have several iron bars to assit you in pulling yourself up through a gap and over a couple of good sized boulders, but nothing that would make you feel "life threatened". There are a couple of "scary" spots that will make you hunker down if it is windy or if the rock is wet from rain. I have been up and down the trail dozens of times and, admittedly, the first time was the most intimidating. Without a doubt, there is nothing on the entire AT that compares. The Abenaki Indians who lived in the area named the mountain "Kette-Adene", meaning "greatest mountain" and that pretty much sums it up.....The Abol trail is one of those trail I have said I would never do again and, lo and behold, I have descended it six times since, including using it as a way off the mountain upon completion of my third thru-hike this past August. It is a quick way off the mountain and does make for a nice loop hike if you use the Hunt trail to ascend. It is a short walk from Abol campground back to Katahdin Stream campground, making it a nice way to see just that much more of the mountain. The Abol trail utilizes a "slide" which is nothing more than loose rock, gravel and sand over some ledge. Footing is poor and you will definitely "slide" down the mountain in more than a few spots. Not my favorite trail on the mountain, but, again, it is a quick way off and offers some nice views when you stop to look around. The Knife Edge from Baxter Peak is not immediately intimidating. It narrows more towards the Pamola end where it does, indeed, drop off on both sides. If you make it over to Pamola, then you have to deal with the Chimney, which is a deep notch with sheer walls and can be a bit scary on the descent. Not a good trail to take on a windy day, but a nice opportunity to at least experiance a trail like few others.

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Just a couple of thoughts.

Katahdin is hard. Just not as hard as the rumors suggest. Thousands of people climb the mountain annually -- most first time day hikers, family groups, and children as young as six. Very few make the round trip in 4 hours, 20 minutes. I've been on the mountain a score of times, summer and winter. I've never come close to four hours. My first visit was probably my fastest I left Katahdin Stream at 9 a.m. via the Hunt Trail, went down the Saddle Trail and ended at Roaring Brook at 4 p.m. That's a seven hour round trip. Usually I figure on 9 or 10 hours at a comfortable pace.

DEET does work well against black flies, despite the reports to the contrary. It doesn't work mostly for those who don't apply it properly. It needs to be smeared on all exposed skin surfaces. I wear long sleeve shirts and long trousers to avoid having to apply the stuff more broadly than necessary.

The easy way up is to hike into Chimney Pond, camp, and then climb to the top the next morning -- and down the Hunt Trail if one is starting a thru hike.

Weary
    This is interesting and sounds like good advice. I guess if one was to go up to Katahdin by way of Chimney Pond and would at the summit begin their thru-hike by going down the Hunt Trail (which I believe is also the AT) you could take your full pack and all your gear with you, rather then just a daypack with just the basics to only climb Katahdin. Or I guess you could do it with just the lighter daypack, and have someone meet you with your full pack and all your gear at the bottom of the Hunt Trail and continue on with your thru-hike from there.

Quote Originally Posted by DapperD View Post
    This is interesting and sounds like good advice. I guess if one was to go up to Katahdin by way of Chimney Pond and would at the summit begin their thru-hike by going down the Hunt Trail (which I believe is also the AT)
    One thing to remember is the for MEGAs, the trail to Chimney Pond might not open until mid-June.
    And yup, the Hunt Trail is the AT going up from Katahdin Stream Campground.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

I was planning to start from the north side of Katahdin and bring my from there pack, start the AT at the summit and then go straight onto the trail... what do most people do? i don't understand how you would use a daypack, or why. So basically just climb to the top of the mountain then straight back?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++