WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Another Victim of the Pennsylvania AT - OBoz Bridger Boots

I've owned a pair of these OBoz boots for just over a year, and have put 200 - 250 miles on them, most of that on the AT in NH and PA. They have fit well and been comfortable, but I've thought I might prefer a more rigid soled boot.

Noticed last weekend that the boots were seeming a little extra thin in the soles. While putting them on on the last day of the hike, I noticed that all the orange rubber lugs were broken off the center of the sole of my right boot, leaving only the black ones on the sides.

I'm about 6", 225 pounds, and hard on shoes, but under 250 miles seems ridiculous.

A couple of questions:

1. Think I'll have any luck on returning them for credit or replacement at REI, despite being past 12 months?
    2. What might be more durable without adding much weight? I like the mid-height, as well as the narrow heel and wide toes, and don't want a taller boot.

You will probably need to contact the manufacturer vs the retailer at this point. That does seem to be premature failure and some companies are known to replace shoes in that situation. YMMV.

REI did give me store credit for them, the store employee wasn't surprised when I said I had been in Pennsylvania. He said that I probably wasn't going to get more than 500 miles in any boot of that style, though.

Two pairs I want to try on are Asolo Drifter and Lowa Renegade.

I've been using Oboz Sawtooth lows on the rocks of NE PA and in western NJ (its a lie that the rocks stop at the PA-NJ border...) for the last couple of seasons. While I like their fit, I found that they are pretty chewed up after about 400 miles. They seem to be far less durable than the Merrells that they replaced (but are still in service). I'm not sure that I would buy them again.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    I've been using Oboz Sawtooth lows on the rocks of NE PA and in western NJ (its a lie that the rocks stop at the PA-NJ border...)

funny, i consider it a lie that the rocks in NJ are just as bad as PA

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    I thought those rocks were going to end at the border, but they beat me up all the way to Highpoint NJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Geology knows no bounds

Images

I get 500 miles on Altra trail runners in PA. Boots certainly shouldn't fail that quickly, glad REI took care of you, I suspected they would.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I get 500 miles on Altra trail runners in PA. Boots certainly shouldn't fail that quickly, glad REI took care of you, I suspected they would.
    IMHO, Altras handle those rocks better, more comfortably that Merrill’s or Oboz. They have the stiffest rockplate of any shoe I’ve worn. End of ad.

Speaking of Altra trail runners, I think they will be 25% off during REI's anniversary sale this weekend.

You may not think they are as bad in NJ as in PA, but that has nothing to do with what I said. My statement was that they did not stop at the border - and that is not a lie. Reading is fundamental...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    You may not think they are as bad in NJ as in PA, but that has nothing to do with what I said. My statement was that they did not stop at the border - and that is not a lie. Reading is fundamental...
    if you want to look at it that way rocks never stop anywhere up and down the trail. rocks are everywhere.

Images

I had Oboz on the PCT and they failed after a month. REI gave a full refund. I think you should get 500 miles on any trail runner.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

if you want to look at it that way rocks never stop anywhere up and down the trail. rocks are everywhere.
    Now you're just being silly

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickjd9 View Post
    REI did give me store credit for them, the store employee wasn't surprised when I said I had been in Pennsylvania. He said that I probably wasn't going to get more than 500 miles in any boot of that style, though.
    Ended up using the store credit on a pair of Vasque Breeze III Gore-Tex boots.

No one ever talks about keens anymore with all the newer fancy stuff in my opinion most oboz look like fake ass keens I have always loved keens my job requires me to where a saftey toe shoe or boot and i kind of hate legit boots i dont want that crap all over my ankle as i feel it hinders my mobility well guess what keen makes a line of pretty much steel and composite toe hikers also so i rock those all day at work and then when i hit the trail i am rocking keen tahrgee 3 hiking shoes they are like 130 @rei and i freaking love those things they are not that heavy or cumbersome they have wide toe boxes that keep you from cramming your toes on all the down hills if you wear some darn tough socks with that match made in heaven I am kind of a shoe whore anyway in regular shoes I have clarks wallabees 5 pair I have 24 pair of adidas shelltoes and I have 5 pair of keens and 5 pairs of newbalance 574 old school jams I guess I like old school shoes but if anything can be said I find a good shoe I buy all of them that I can lol

After decades of use, I am a firm proponent of Leather Lined boots.
    Try the Leather Lined Renegades.
    Avoid Gore-Tex and house brand clones of Gore-tex like the plague.
    Cheers!
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Ended up using the store credit on a pair of Vasque Breeze III Gore-Tex boots.
    "Oh no, Mr. Bill!"
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    IMHO, Altras handle those rocks better, more comfortably that Merrill’s or Oboz. They have the stiffest rockplate of any shoe I’ve worn. End of ad.

it seems to me that light footwear like my Altras allows easy, precise foot placement among the rocks (we have them in the West, too), which my contributes to longevity. It certainly adds to my comfort and enjoyment.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    it seems to me that light footwear like my Altras allows easy, precise foot placement among the rocks (we have them in the West, too), which my contributes to longevity. It certainly adds to my comfort and enjoyment.
    My Altra Lone Peaks were brand new in Harper's Ferry. And absolutely destroyed by the end of PA.

Your mileage may vary.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++