WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hope I don’t sabotage the OP’s post, but I too plan to hike next year...and am looking for ways to reduce weight.
    I always hear that ones tent can be replaced with the popular ultra-light tents and save weight. My tent setup (Marmot 2P UL) plus footprint and 4 tent pegs comes in at 3.5lbs. I’ve looked at other tents like TarpTent...and just can’t justify spending $500 to save maybe 1 lb. I’ve wanted to go the hammock route...but again, when you factor in top quilt, underquilt, pad, all the rope plus the hammock...it surely is over 3 lbs.
    I think where I’m going to cut weight is clothing...but I’m planning a March 1 start date...and would rather have too much at the start than not enough. I can always send clothes home as I progress.
    We don’t stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking.
    - Finis Mitchell

https://lighterpack.com/r/6yyu2j

Easiest way to shave pesky ounces (pounds rather) is to carry less food. People new to LDH almost always carry too much food. You should go into your resupply out of food. The idea of carrying a day extra is silly. You will not die if you miss a meal or two. Next way to save pounds is to carry less water. On trails that generally have frequent water sources, like the AT, you can get away with carrying smaller amounts of water. People worry about an ounce or two when they can save over 2 pounds by carrying one less quart of water.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

That's good advice (above) and so true.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by BowGal View Post
    ...I always hear that ones tent can be replaced with the popular ultra-light tents and save weight. My tent setup (Marmot 2P UL) plus footprint and 4 tent pegs comes in at 3.5lbs. I’ve looked at other tents like TarpTent...and just can’t justify spending $500 to save maybe 1 lb...
    How about if you could double that weight savings for half the price (~2lbs for $250)? And much less $$ if the old tent is worth something in the secondary market. I went from a BA Fly Creek UL2 (47oz) to a SMD Gatewood Cape/Serenity NetTent (27oz) and feel I have improved every shelter aspect except free-standing... ie, weight, pack space, vestibule, interior, bug/rain protection, and set-up/take-down ease/speed.

There's a tent for sale here that weighs about half of yours. I think it's $75

Quote Originally Posted by reppans View Post
    How about if you could double that weight savings for half the price (~2lbs for $250)? And much less $$ if the old tent is worth something in the secondary market. I went from a BA Fly Creek UL2 (47oz) to a SMD Gatewood Cape/Serenity NetTent (27oz) and feel I have improved every shelter aspect except free-standing... ie, weight, pack space, vestibule, interior, bug/rain protection, and set-up/take-down ease/speed.
    Thank you. I looked at this, and it’s interesting. My fear is wearing the cape when it’s raining, snagging it on a branch.
    - Finis Mitchell

I wouldn’t bother wearing the gatewood and dedicate it shelter. Frog tog for your raincoat

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    I wouldn’t bother wearing the gatewood and dedicate it shelter. Frog tog for your raincoat
    True...just as I posted my reply, I realized I would never use it as a poncho.
    I’m back on SMD site...giving it another look.
    - Finis Mitchell

Quote Originally Posted by BowGal View Post
    I’ve wanted to go the hammock route...but again, when you factor in top quilt, underquilt, pad, all the rope plus the hammock...it surely is over 3 lbs.
    A tent, sleeping pad, ground cloth, tent pegs, lines, and sleeping bag can easily be over 3 lbs too. Hammock set ups can't get as light as a tarp only set up but the quality of sleep is just so much better for me in hammock. I'm at right about 3.5 lbs for tarp, lines, pegs, hammock, stuff, top and bottom quilts, and a stuff sack. Total base weight is 13.9 lbs for my May section hike. I'm all for reducing weight but at a certain point is not worth the reduction in comfort to me.

You could shave an entire POUND with a new tent....I'm just sayin'. Zpacks *cough*. And Sawyer Squeeze filter could get you a few ounces.
    It is what it is.

30deg top quilt 13.5oz (EE Enigma H.E. 7D 950fp), 30deg under quilt 11oz (EE Revolt), cuben hex tarp 7oz (Hammock Gear), Dutchware half wit hammock 10oz, suspension 3oz, total 45.5oz (2lb 13.5oz).

At the cutting edge, it's getting mighty competitive.

So, ditch the sandals/water shoes, cook with Esbit rather than a canister stove, go with a lighter jacket than the Denali, switch to the Petzl eLite, use a squeeze filer or Aqua Mira for water treatment, and get a nice UL titanium trowel, and you can easily go down 2-3 pounds.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    So, ditch the sandals/water shoes, cook with Esbit rather than a canister stove, go with a lighter jacket than the Denali, switch to the Petzl eLite, use a squeeze filer or Aqua Mira for water treatment, and get a nice UL titanium trowel, and you can easily go down 2-3 pounds.
    +1

And with a complete list, there's bound to be lots more.

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    Easiest way to shave pesky ounces (pounds rather) is to carry less food. People new to LDH almost always carry too much food. ............ Next way to save pounds is to carry less water.
    So True! For the majority of the AT, no one needs to carry more than 4 days of food at anytime. Only carry one day of water. Look at your water sources to determine this... Make sure to "camel up" at water sources to make it easier to keep going.

If you want camp shoes check out Xero - a pair of their sport sandals is about 11 ounces. Others have made excellent points on various items.

What do *you* weigh? If you're 150 then the difference between 15 and 16lbs means something. If you're 250 it means something else.

My philosophy is that your gear needs to be heavy enough to keep you safe and comfortable. That determination is completely personal.

Quick question... I am always confused by what is meant by "base-weight" versus other weights. Since I only hike in summer on the AT, I figure I should go by "skin-out weight" - and by that, I figure everything I need for five days (clothes on my body, shoes on my feet, poles in my hands, backpack with all my belongings and five days of food and ONE day of water - 2L - because I will find more water each day).

If I am just under 24# for this, am I doing well? ???? I have been there for the past two years, but I am thinking I could shave a pound off with a better tent, such s the one the OP has...

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    Quick question... I am always confused by what is meant by "base-weight" versus other weights. Since I only hike in summer on the AT, I figure I should go by "skin-out weight" - and by that, I figure everything I need for five days (clothes on my body, shoes on my feet, poles in my hands, backpack with all my belongings and five days of food and ONE day of water - 2L - because I will find more water each day).

If I am just under 24# for this, am I doing well? ???? I have been there for the past two years, but I am thinking I could shave a pound off with a better tent, such s the one the OP has...
    If you’re at 24 lbs. with five days of food, that is excellent. If you are counting the weight of your poles, I say you should not. What’s important is the weight on your back.

Poles actually counter the burden on your back by giving yourself extra support.

For that matter why count the clothes worn. We don’t give the weight of clothes a second thought normally.

The whole purpose is to examine the additional weight above no pack at all, as if you were out day hiking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Images

I can't believe the new Jams weigh 26+ oz. We used to strip those down to under a pound. I went from a Jam to an MLD Burn eight years ago which is smaller but well under a pound. While the Burn may be too small for you, there are much lighter packs that will carry every bit as well as a Jam.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++