WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Those Pesky Ounces

I've been going through my gear for next year's thru-hike attempt and have whittled it all down to a base weight of about 16 lbs. Ultimately I'd love to be under 15 lbs if possible but I'm having a hard time thinking of ways to shave off those last few ounces. I know that I could easily just buy a new tent to save on weight but I love my Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 and would rather not spend the money on something lighter right now. What are the craziest things you've done to cut down on pack weight? I'm willing to try anything. I might even think about cutting down my pack straps for an ounce or two. Thanks!
    "Exploration is in our nature. We began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still." ~Carl Sagan~

An itemized gear list would help immensely if you want ideas to cut down on weight. You already have one of the lightest tents out there so you wouldn't be saving much even with a Duplex.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    An itemized gear list would help immensely if you want ideas to cut down on weight. You already have one of the lightest tents out there so you wouldn't be saving much even with a Duplex.
    I'll get one written up as soon as I can but as I was looking at my gear I realized that there are some items such as toothpaste and soap that I shouldn't have included in my base weight. That helps a little at least...
    "Exploration is in our nature. We began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still." ~Carl Sagan~

I hope I'm not missing anything but here is the list that I was able to put together...

Equipment (Base) Specifics Buy (Y/N)? Weight (oz)
    Backpack (big enough for a bear canister, where mandated) GoLite Jam N
    Pack raincover Etowah Gear N
    Tent suited to terrain, with guylines and repair sleeve Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 N
    Sleeping bag suitable for wet weather and anticipated temperatures REI Halo 40+ N
    Sleeping pad Therm-A-Rest Z Lite N
    Multifunction watch N
    Knife or multi-tool Gerber N
    Map(s) and guidebook(s) or route description AT Data Book N
    LED headlamp with extra batteries Petzl Tikka N
    Water filter and backup treatment system Katadyn Hiker Pro N
    Stove Snow Peak Giga Power Y*
    Cookset, dishes, bowls, utensils, cups (measuring/drinking) Snow Peak Titanium N
    Nylon cord (at least 60 feet) Nylon Cord N
    Fire starter (for emergency survival fire) Survival Spark Magnesium Survival Fire Starter with Compass and Whistle and Kindling N
    Clothing and Footwear
    Long-sleeve shirt Patagonia Long-sleeve shirt N
    Quick-drying shorts Brooks Sherpa Shorts N
    Fleece jacket or vest, or insulated jacket or vest The North Face Men's Denali 2 Jacket N
    Waterproof/breathable rain jacket suitable for the conditions Mountain Hardwear Ghost Lite Jacket N
    Waterproof/breathable rain pants suitable for the conditions REI Rain Paints N
    Bandana Bandana N
    Winter hat Beanie N
    Gloves or mittens Mountain Hardwear Gloves N
    Sandals (for fording streams and relaxing in camp) or water shoes Merrell Trail Gloves N
    Wicking, quick-drying underwear ExOfficio Give-N-Go Boxer Briefs Y
    Wicking, quick-drying long underwear Patagonia Capilene N
    Sanitation trowel GSI Products N
    First-aid kit (see our First-Aid Checklist) N
    Quick-drying towel Sea to Summit Tek-Towel N
    Camera or video cam and extra memory cards N
    Cell phone (don’t rely on service) w/charger Samsung LG G5 N
    Journal and pen Y
    Credit card; cash for layover days and camping fees N
    Stuff sack, dry bag or rodent-resistant food sack 20 L Sea-to-Summit Ultra-Sil Nano Y
    Misc.
    Wicking, quick-drying T-shirt GoLite...
    Carabiner Black Diamond...
    Comb Ace...
    Wicking, quick-drying underwear ExOfficio Give-N-Go Boxer Briefs Y
    Wicking, quick-drying long underwear Patagonia Capilene N
    Total Weight

Ignore the "Buy" section...I forgot to delete that when I posted.

And I also realized that there are a couple of duplicates...ignore those.

In fact, here's a cleaner one

Equipment (Base) Specifics Weight (oz)
    Backpack (big enough for a bear canister, where mandated) GoLite Jam 26.2
    Pack raincover Etowah Gear 3.2
    Tent suited to terrain, with guylines and repair sleeve Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 41.2
    Sleeping bag suitable for wet weather and anticipated temperatures REI Halo 40+ 24.4
    Sleeping pad Therm-A-Rest Z Lite 9
    Multifunction watch 2
    Knife or multi-tool Gerber 1.4
    Map(s) and guidebook(s) or route description AT Data Book 3.8
    LED headlamp with extra batteries Petzl Tikka 3.4
    Water filter and backup treatment system Katadyn Hiker Pro 12.4
    Stove Snow Peak Giga Power 3
    Cookset, dishes, bowls, utensils, cups (measuring/drinking) Snow Peak Titanium 4
    Nylon cord (at least 60 feet) Nylon Cord 2.2
    Fire starter (for emergency survival fire) Survival Spark Magnesium Survival Fire Starter with Compass and Whistle and Kindling 1.6
    Credit card; cash for layover days and camping fees 1
    Carabiner Black Diamond... 1
    Comb Ace... 0.2
    Camera or video cam and extra memory cards 4.3
    Cell phone (don’t rely on service) w/charger Samsung LG G5 8
    Journal and pen 2
    Quick-drying towel Sea to Summit Tek-Towel 4.8
    Sanitation trowel GSI Products 3
    First-aid kit (see our First-Aid Checklist) 2.5
    Long-sleeve shirt Patagonia Long-sleeve shirt 9.8
    Quick-drying shorts Brooks Sherpa Shorts
    Fleece jacket or vest, or insulated jacket or vest The North Face Men's Denali 2 Jacket 22
    Waterproof/breathable rain jacket suitable for the conditions Mountain Hardwear Ghost Lite Jacket 3
    Waterproof/breathable rain pants suitable for the conditions REI Rain Paints 6
    Bandana Bandana 1.4
    Winter hat Beanie 3
    Gloves or mittens Mountain Hardwear Gloves 1.6
    Sandals (for fording streams and relaxing in camp) or water shoes Merrell Trail Gloves 16
    Wicking, quick-drying underwear ExOfficio Give-N-Go Boxer Briefs 2.8
    Wicking, quick-drying long underwear Patagonia Capilene 12.4
    Wicking, quick-drying T-shirt GoLite... 2.6
    Total 245.2

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Suggestions/Low hang fruit I see on the list:

- Consider Ditching the Merrill Trail Gloves, not everyone carries camp shoes and it’s an easy 16oz saved.
    - Consider a Deuce of Spades” backpacker trowel instead, it weighs 0.6oz.
    - Does your phone take good enough photos to make the separate camera unnecessary?
    - A sawyer squeeze filter is considerably lighter than the Hiker Pro you have, though the Hiker pro is nice to have at smaller watee sources due to it’s hose and pump.
    - While the Denali jacket is perfectly fine, a UL down jacket like the Mountain Hardware Ghost Whisperer can weigh as little as 7oz. This is an expensive item, but if you happen to see one on clearance (mine was around $115), consider snagging it.

- Personal preference, but I prefer using a dish sponge over a backpacker towel, it’s cheaper and hardly weighs anything.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I don't know when you plan on leaving or what direction you are going in but the 40 degree sleeping bag is going to be rough until about the middle of May on a NOBO hike.

My pack weight is around 12 lbs.
    Some things that you carry that I don't: Headlamp (I only carry a small PhotonII light and it's all I've needed for the last few thru's)
    Thermo-rest: I only use a lightweight foam pad (those blow-up mattresses are heavy)
    Knife; I used to only carry a razor blade but now have one of those smallest swiss army knives with the little scissors on them
    Your cookit says you have a bowl? For what?
    journal pen? (you have a phone, get an app that let's you make notes)
    video camera? (again you have a phone)
    water filter. I just carry tablets and rarely use them
    trowel: I use a rock and/or stick
    sandals or camp shoes (I don't spend a lot of time in camp and don't remember any fords until Maine anyway).
    dishes, bowls, utensils, cups : what is this? Get a styrofoam coffee cup and the lightest weight spoon you can find. cooking pot is my dish/bowl
    quick drying towel: ???

If you make it all the way, chances are you'll probably get rid of at least half of that stuff anyway.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyjohnson2043 View Post
    I've been going through my gear for next year's thru-hike attempt and have whittled it all down to a base weight of about 16 lbs. Ultimately I'd love to be under 15 lbs if possible but I'm having a hard time thinking of ways to shave off those last few ounces. I know that I could easily just buy a new tent to save on weight but I love my Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 and would rather not spend the money on something lighter right now. What are the craziest things you've done to cut down on pack weight? I'm willing to try anything. I might even think about cutting down my pack straps for an ounce or two. Thanks!
    folks try to slackpack all the way. most don't make it. it ain't about pack weight for success. your mental strength is what's gonna get you there

Sawyer squeeze is 3 oz

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyjohnson2043 View Post
    I'll get one written up as soon as I can but as I was looking at my gear I realized that there are some items such as toothpaste and soap that I shouldn't have included in my base weight. That helps a little at least...
    Toothpaste and soap aren’t going to carry themselves.
    Skin out. Everything. Food and the containers holding the food. Same for water. You’re going to start with more food than you need and eventually not carry as much as you need.
    Your all up on the trail weight has to be carried up the approach trail and eventually to main. What list you put things in won’t get you to Maine any easier.
    Here’s a Stone Age tip that is still true today:
    “Don’t carry more clothes than you can wear all at once to sleep in on the coldest night you anticipate.” Colin Fletcher.
    Good luck!
    Wayne

Whether or not somebody wants to play the gram-counting game matters not to me, but the "pesky ounces" in the title suggests the OP does.

So, as a certified gram weenie, those numbers don't look kosher to me — nothing weighs exactly 6 oz.

Get a good scale (accurate to at least 1 g), use an app like Geargrams or Lighterpack, and come up with a complete list, not this rough draft that's missing a lot of stuff.

Then get out and do some actual 2- or 3-night 'shakedown cruises' with this kit to become familar with it.

B o o m ! !

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    whether or not somebody wants to play the gram-counting game matters not to me, but the "pesky ounces" in the title suggests the op does.

So, as a certified gram weenie, those numbers don't look kosher to me — nothing weighs exactly 6 oz.

Get a good scale (accurate to at least 1 g), use an app like geargrams or lighterpack, and come up with a complete list, not this rough draft that's missing a lot of stuff.

Then get out and do some actual 2- or 3-night 'shakedown cruises' with this kit to become familar with it.

Reality check.

Ditch the filter and get a sawyer, easy oz to lose there. This pack weight I am assuming is for a march 1st start(may have already been mentioned), so look forward to dropping some serious lbs when sending winter stuff home
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

You can easily get a much lighter tent from Lightheart or Tarptent also a Sawyer is much lighter than any pump. Don't get sucked into a MIni , get a regular size, the Mini takes a longtime to fill a bottle.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Journal Entries
    Images

What he said...
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Whether or not somebody wants to play the gram-counting game matters not to me, but the "pesky ounces" in the title suggests the OP does.

Get a good scale (accurate to at least 1 g), use an app like Geargrams or Lighterpack, and come up with a complete list, not this rough draft that's missing a lot of stuff.

Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Hope I don’t sabotage the OP’s post, but I too plan to hike next year...and am looking for ways to reduce weight.
    I always hear that ones tent can be replaced with the popular ultra-light tents and save weight. My tent setup (Marmot 2P UL) plus footprint and 4 tent pegs comes in at 3.5lbs. I’ve looked at other tents like TarpTent...and just can’t justify spending $500 to save maybe 1 lb. I’ve wanted to go the hammock route...but again, when you factor in top quilt, underquilt, pad, all the rope plus the hammock...it surely is over 3 lbs.
    I think where I’m going to cut weight is clothing...but I’m planning a March 1 start date...and would rather have too much at the start than not enough. I can always send clothes home as I progress.
    We don’t stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking.
    - Finis Mitchell

https://lighterpack.com/r/6yyu2j

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++