WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Lakeshore House/Monson

This from an article in the Moosehead Messenger dated February 7th.

Jeff and Rebekah Santagata recently purchased the Lakeshore House in Monson.

" The previous owners were gracious enough to have left practically all the items that were here when they opened the site, which makes it that much easier to pick right up and run with things" the Santagatas mentioned.

The couple have the laundry area open 24 hours a day.... "We have plans of adding some industrial size washing machines for larger loads, such as those brought in by through hikers."

" We are also hoping to include some coin operated showers, and even a suggestion box to better meet everyone's needs"

The Lakeshore House has eight bedrooms and two baths for short and long term use by folks who wish to stay at the establishment.

Another goal of the Santagatas will be making their business more conducive to families, or anyone with youngsters.... Part of meeting that goal will be renting kayaks and canoes for anyone's use, as well as a no smoking/no pets rule in the house.

There is more info in the weekly Moosehead Messenger dated Feb 7th, 2006

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Where exactly is the Lakeshore House located with respect to Shaw's.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Since when do "through-hikers" do large, industrial size loads of wash? Maybe 37 hikers combined.

Images

Hi Slogger,

The Lakeshore House is down the main street from the general store a few hundred feet southerly. Opposite direction of the Barbecue and Pie Lady's place. It is along the shore of the lake and says 'Laundromat' on a sign above the door.
    In other words if you were coming from Shaws on Pleasant street to the general store, go around the corner and keep walking a little ways untill the lake is behind the buildings then look ahead a little on the right. It is before the curve and the hill.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Appreciate that WalkinWally. We might need to use the facility in July if no one buys Shaws. Heading up to hike Monson to Gorham.

Thanks again ....

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

It's a great place to stay. However, when we were there last June, the temps were in the 80's F and it was hotter than blue blazes. Wonder if the new owners might install a A/C window unit? Or do people in Maine not believe in A/C?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    Since when do "through-hikers" do large, industrial size loads of wash? Maybe 37 hikers combined.
    I was wondering that too.

News Flash-it is a rumor at this point-but we think Shaw's has been bought and will be available to hikers. Check with the ALDHA companion update page for comfermation.

Journal Entries
    Images

Very nice bar & restaraunt around back.

Everything was fresh and new and the food was excellent.

Not open Sunday yet-- pending alcohol permits. That might change.

On a side-note, I understand the Monson General Store, one block down, holds jam sessions on Saturday (?) nights.

the jam sessions are on friday nights at the monson general. i was fortunate enough to experience one of these nights a couple of years ago.

you can read about it here.
    Grizzly Adam

WACphotography | Blog

Images

they were closed mondays also
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.
    Henry David Thoreau

The new owners are the finest kind, real nice folks. One of the many new things to be offered in '07 will be a 4-person room overlooking the lake, and per person will be wicked cheap. Nice relations between Shaws and LSH, welcoming LSH guests to Buddy's 4x4 breakfasts.
    Photo of the hootananny at the General:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...&imageuser=314
    Tim the General Store owner, is in the white hat and mustache on the left.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Stayed two nights there in September - fabulous place and highly recommended. Bekah really went out of her way for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    Appreciate that WalkinWally. We might need to use the facility in July if no one buys Shaws. Heading up to hike Monson to Gorham.

Thanks again ....

'Slogger
    ok, I know I've been busy and not paying attention but say it ain't so - I NEED Shaws after the wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    ok, I know I've been busy and not paying attention but say it ain't so - I NEED Shaws after the wilderness.
    Shaws is open - the new owners are nice folks.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    Shaws is open - the new owners are nice folks.
    thanks, as always teej, that sound you can't hear is me breathing normally again. NOBOers have seen so many towns that they might not enjoy Monson from the perspective of the shangri-la that it is as the first town headed south after the wilderness. It's my favorite town on the trail.
    Any further description of the new owners? Thanks.

This place is amazing. I'm actually sitting up in the living area right now. The food at the pub is great. Rebekah has been great with all of us. I HIGHLY recommend this place to anyone coming through Monson. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Their website is http://www.lakeshore-house.com

Quote Originally Posted by onemore View Post
    This place is amazing. I'm actually sitting up in the living area right now. The food at the pub is great. Rebekah has been great with all of us. I HIGHLY recommend this place to anyone coming through Monson. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Their website is http://www.lakeshore-house.com
    Nicest laundromat on the AT! Get off the web, get a cold one or two and head out back by the lake!
    Teej

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    Nicest laundromat on the AT! Get off the web, get a cold one or two and head out back by the lake!

I don't think so today...rain, rain, rain....and that means river/stream swelling....
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by boarstone View Post
    I don't think so today...rain, rain, rain....and that means river/stream swelling....

It's June. It's Maine. Nothing new there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++