WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default MA -> PA Section in September

I'm starting to plan my summer backpacking trip this year. I'm thinking about getting back on the AT this September where I got off a few years ago in North Adams/Williamstown, MA. I have 23-24 days available which I figure will get me somewhere between DWG (if I have issues) and Port Clinton, PA (if all goes as plan). I'm planning to maximize my 3 weeks of vacation by picking up an extra day due to Labor Day, so I was thinking to try and start on late morning Friday Aug.31 by getting a Red Eye flight from LA Thursday night and thus finishing ~Saturday, Sept 22 and flying home on Sunday the 23rd.

Just prior to leaving, I will be doing 4 to 6 weekend backpacking trips as training in high elevation mountains with 4000 to 5000 ft of climbing so I expect to be in decent shape. Though most trails out here are switch-backed so there won't be any rock staircase type climbing. I'm hoping hiking in high elevation will help compensate for that. Pack weight will be UL (<10 lbs baseweight).

I have a few questions:

1. What would the expected temperatures be that time of the year? I'm assuming my 40F quilt will be warm enough.
    2. I want to verify my assumption that the hiking of this section will be not be any more difficult than Vermont or is it even easier? Though I understand that I'm to expect rock covered trails once I get to DWG.
    3. Is the hiking the typical long green tunnel or will it be more exposed where someone with a pale complexion should bring sunscreen?
    4. If I'm willing to delay my start a few weeks, when would the best time to hike see fall colors (and not having to deal with hunting season) be? I'm assuming it will happen later than NH and VT due to the low elevation. Given how short the days were in VT in mid October, I'm not inclined to wait that long.
    5. Transportation to North Adams, MA. Taking Peter Pan bus from Boston to Williamstown does not look like good choice. So I would prefer to fly into the closer Albany, NY airport and get a shuttle so I can actually hike the same day I arrive. Any shuttle recommendations that cover that area? Especially one that could pick up during the morning hours on Friday before a big holiday weekend.
    6. Transportation from DWG/Port Clinton to airport: I know DWG has a daily bus into NYC transit station will connections to the airport. But if I get off trail in Port Clinton as planned or end up somewhere in between DWG and Port Clinton, any shuttle recommendations that can pick me up and take me into Allen Town (LeHigh Valley Airport 35mi) or Harrisburg (Harrisburg International Airport 62 mi) on a weekend.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

1. 40 is Ok but if you decide to wait for Fall colors, a 20 would be better
    2. Correct assumption.
    3. No sunscreen
    4. 10 October
    5. About the same, Albany is slightly better
    6. From near Port Clinton I took a city bus from in front of the big Cabella's to Reading and a big bus to NY also goes to Phili

I spent the first 16 days of last October in around this area. From Salisbury, CT to Palmerton, PA (SOBO). We saw SOME colors, but still a whole lot of green. You will see no fall colors in September.
    As you can see below, some sections were complete green, but in NY and NJ we got some colors
    IMG_6953.JPG
    IMG_7025.JPG
    IMG_7180.jpg
    IMG_7287.JPG
    IMG_7290.JPG
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I live near Wind Gap. Fall colors here won't start until late October. September you should be fine with 40, but you just never know. As someone else said, a few weeks later start and probably want to go with a 20. The rocks do get crazy at times, like miles of not being able to hit dirt. I don't mind it, but seems to bother outsiders. Personally, I think PA is easy. Sure we have rocks, but it is so much ridge walking. Typically, you climb 1,000 feet, walk along the rocky ridge for 8-15 miles before descending 1,000 feet. I'm in okay shape at best and was able to knock out almost 23 miles in one day a month, although it was about all I had in the tank. New Jersey will be fairly similar to PA.

Thanks for the responses. I do remember Vermont being cold a few nights with a compromised down 20F quilt in October, mainly due to the cold wind coming under the shelter floors. but was figuring I'd be fine in September with my 40F and just wanted to check. I guess I'll have to contact some of the shuttle drivers on the various AT lists to see who can do what for me in the various time frames.

Gambit, thanks for the photos which do speak louder than words. I hiked southern New Hampshire and especially Vermont during the so-called peak leaf season in the 1st half of October a couple of years ago. While it was pretty nice, it wasn't as good as I had been expecting due to the non-stop unstable weather that seemed to strip the leaves off the trees almost as soon as they changed colors. This meant the trail was buried in them and in low light it became difficult to follow the trail so I couldn't push into the dark to make up for the quickly getting shorter days. For this hike, I was figuring the colors would happen later in October given being further south and lower in elevation and given how even shorter the days will be, it doesn't seem like it will work if my goal is to knock out some miles rather than taking a relaxing pace.

I did Harpers Ferry to Wind Gap, PA from September 15 to October 2 last year and for most of that it was HOT! The temps were in the high 80's at least. It was some sort of a heat wave. Even though you are starting further north on your SOBO hike, I can't imagine you needing more than a 40 degree quilt if you hold your dates. Of course, there can always be that fluke cold wave, too.

As for transportation, I can give you two names. John Stempa 610-381-4606 who is located at Smith Gap just south of Wind Gap and Bob 610-826-9921 of Bert's Restaurant and Hostel, Palmerton, PA. Both are listed in the Awol At Guide. I used Bob last year to get to the Allentown airport and his rate was very reasonable.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    3. No sunscreen
    Yes, sunscreen for pale complexion, in general very important for face and neck.
    Not specific to this hike

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I do remember Vermont being cold a few nights with a compromised down 20F quilt in October, mainly due to the cold wind coming under the shelter floors. but was figuring I'd be fine in September with my 40F and just wanted to check. I guess I'll have to contact some of the shuttle drivers on the various AT lists to see who can do what for me in the various time frames.

Gambit, thanks for the photos which do speak louder than words. I hiked southern New Hampshire and especially Vermont during the so-called peak leaf season in the 1st half of October a couple of years ago. While it was pretty nice, it wasn't as good as I had been expecting due to the non-stop unstable weather that seemed to strip the leaves off the trees almost as soon as they changed colors. This meant the trail was buried in them and in low light it became difficult to follow the trail so I couldn't push into the dark to make up for the quickly getting shorter days. For this hike, I was figuring the colors would happen later in October given being further south and lower in elevation and given how even shorter the days will be, it doesn't seem like it will work if my goal is to knock out some miles rather than taking a relaxing pace.
    FYI I swam in almost every swimming option from CT to PA that trip (Oct 1-16th) so that gives you kinda an idea of how warm it will be in Sept.

I am doing 2 weeks this sept 1st-16th from Goose Pond NOBO and I am expecting warm weather. Real warm lol
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Just noticed that July 4th was on a Wednesday and the only way I can take a trip then is to take 2 additional vacation days off so it connects to a weekend. Which means I won't have 3 weeks available until October if I do so. So I'm now looking at possibly hiking Oct 6 to the 28th. In that time frame, maybe I will see some fall colors. Not looking forward to dealing with hunting season, though from what I can gather its mostly bow hunting. I guess I will have to bring my 20F bag. I take it that other than ticks, I won't have to worry about insects that late.

When I got off trail on Oct.15, 2012 in North Adams, it was in part due to almost nonstop wet weather since I left Maine where at least part of each day I was in rain gear. The only day that was completely sunny after entering NH and VT was the day I went over Mt. Washington ironically. Hopefully, if I hike in October this year, it won't be a repeat.

I took the Peter Pan bus out of Cheshire to get to Albany, and then flew out of there. Albany was a great place to fly out of! Peter Pan bus lines are great too!

++ New Posts ++