Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Raven Rock

  1. #1
    Registered User Crossup's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-19-2017
    Location
    annapolis md
    Age
    68
    Posts
    366

    Default Raven Rock

    Starting to plan a sobo thru Maryland and the first thing I see on Guthooks is Raven Rock shelter with log entrys up to a week ago yet it does not appear on the AT Interactive map on the ATC site...could that be due to the shelter not being directly on the AT? Anyway, just curious as its obviously a working shelter/camp area which is all that really matters to me.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-23-2011
    Location
    Lancaster, PA
    Age
    68
    Posts
    157

    Default

    Raven Rock shelter is at mile 1060.8 and is .1 of a mile to the west. Iceman

  3. #3
    Registered User ldsailor's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-25-2016
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Age
    70
    Posts
    536

    Default

    Raven Rock shelter shows on the Awol AT guide. According to Awol, it's only .1 of a mile off the trail. Is it possible the interactive map hasn't been updated? The Raven Rock shelter was built in 2010, which makes it one of the newer shelters.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

  4. #4
    Registered User Crossup's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-19-2017
    Location
    annapolis md
    Age
    68
    Posts
    366

    Default

    Was this your source?
    https://tnlandforms.us/at/m.php?wpt=RavenRock

    If so do you have any idea of how often the info gets updates? I see its been about 4 months since the last update which is probably pretty good. Guthooks is showing the shelter is at 1059.8 which is what tipped me off to another source.

    Quote Originally Posted by Angle View Post
    Raven Rock shelter is at mile 1060.8 and is .1 of a mile to the west. Iceman

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-23-2011
    Location
    Lancaster, PA
    Age
    68
    Posts
    157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crossup View Post
    Was this your source?
    https://tnlandforms.us/at/m.php?wpt=RavenRock

    If so do you have any idea of how often the info gets updates? I see its been about 4 months since the last update which is probably pretty good. Guthooks is showing the shelter is at 1059.8 which is what tipped me off to another source.
    That is the mileage for this year. Source was AWOL's A.T. Guide for 2018.

  6. #6
    Registered User Kaptainkriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-28-2015
    Location
    Leonardtown, Maryland
    Age
    50
    Posts
    568
    Journal Entries
    47
    Images
    18

    Default

    Indeed it is missing on the AT interactive map... The shelter exists and is well marked. Very nice shelter. It replaced the old Devil's Racecourse shelter which is at the site of the spring....and a bit further to the river of rocks. Vid from when I was there:


    Quote Originally Posted by Crossup View Post
    Starting to plan a sobo thru Maryland and the first thing I see on Guthooks is Raven Rock shelter with log entrys up to a week ago yet it does not appear on the AT Interactive map on the ATC site...could that be due to the shelter not being directly on the AT? Anyway, just curious as its obviously a working shelter/camp area which is all that really matters to me.

  7. #7
    Registered User Crossup's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-19-2017
    Location
    annapolis md
    Age
    68
    Posts
    366

    Default

    Thanks John, nice video...without that I probably would have missed the Devils Racecourse.

  8. #8
    Registered User Mikerfixit's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-04-2016
    Location
    Edgewood, MD
    Age
    51
    Posts
    43

    Default

    I stayed there at the beginning of April. It was a nice shelter with several bear lines nearby. The privy doesn't have a door on it and the toilet hole lines up with the door. Also the door faces the direction of the breeze coming up the mountain. Pretty challenging to use when it is below freezing.

    Its right off the trail.

  9. #9

    Default

    In the name of Better Nate Than Lever... indeed Raven Rock shelter is basically right on the trail. IMHO the ATC map is flawed. It doesn't show distance markers nor elevations for key points such as parking and shelters. What was the one with red dots for mileage milestones and blue dots for more granular distances? I can't find it. Thanks!

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •