Man they make it difficult to spend a weekend on the trail! The trail shelters in KM are reserved, not per person but by groups. Not much chance of getting a spot in one. The two SF campgrounds that have walk-in sites don't allow you to reserve a site for less than two days. I finally got in touch with someone at the forest office that told me that starting Wednesday they will allow one day rentals, but good luck finding one. Each of the walk in sites at both campgrounds are reserved for both Fri and Sat. I'm going to spend Thursday night at the one of the walk-in sites and then Friday night at the Eagle Hostel. I have to get off the trail Saturday evening anyway so its going to work out this time.

I'm hoping to do 45 miles in three days and test my gear out. I've put in 250 miles since Feb 1st so feel the mileage isn't too much for my first overnighter of the year. I've got my pack down to 25 pounds with food and water, a little heavier than I'd like, but this first shakedown should reveal what is extraneous.