Quote Originally Posted by gonegonzo View Post
My dream was to hike the AT after retiring . So I've been retired for 6 years and still haven't even hiked a section of the AT . I'm 68 years old . My problem is I'm overweight (100 pounds ) and cant seem to get the weight off . I hike local trails here in eastern Ohio but nothing works . I also swim everyday for 1 hr . . When day hiking after about and hour my hips start to hurt as does a shin splint feeling in my shins . I'm blaming the weight for all of this . Does anyone have any suggestions . I've been to the doctor and he prescribes cutting back on food intake and exercise which I am doing . Help get me out there .

Thanks ,
Gonzo
I know what I'm about to suggest might seem radical, but have you considered bariatric procedures? Having been in the healthcare industry for 30 years, I've seen a lot of lives changed by these; most for the better, some not. There's always risk involved with medical intervention. If your life has become a trial of moving from one health crisis to another due to obesity and less invasive strategies haven't worked, maybe look into it. Just a thought.