WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Altra King MT

Default Altra King MT

Has anyone tried these shoes? How do they compare to Lone Peaks on the trail? Maybe less cushion...$50 on Massdrop, but ending today.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/altra-k...-running-shoes

Leonidas

I have 200 miles on the original King MT, traction is great but the lugs do load up in clay/thick mud. Cushion is fine as long as I am doing 20 mpd or less, anything over 20 and I have swapped to the LP. I have just started to have the toe bumpers come detached a bit but super glued them back before they got very noticeable. I don't think they are as breathable as the LP or any of my Altra road shoes.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Thanks JC! I have been on the fence for a few days about whether to try them, but the decision just got easier now that I see they are sold out of my size. ...back to keeping my eye out for a good sale on LP's.

I ordered a pair online. Never put them on. There’s no way the hard plastic lugs would grip well on wet surfaces.

I have a pair off Olympus 2.5's. Although they are squishy, he outsole is made of the same material as the King MT and it seems pretty soft. Granted, the sole isn't as aggressively lugged. A guy I work with is an ultra-marathoner and all he runs in is Altras. He prefers the Superiors and will switch to Provisions once his feet get beat up a bit. His rest day run is 31 miles. He's a machine.

Leonidas

If you were open to the King, might want to look at the Superior as well. 21mm stack, so 2mm more than the King. I have been watching some on Amazon for a bit, $70.99 for last year's model in Size 12 black(I haven't checked other sizes for pricing).
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...A2BMBHD2OU3XDU
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

I just got a pair of King off a Massdrop event. I normally wear minimalist Trail shoes for running (New Balance Minimus Trail) and Moab’s for hiking, so I wanted to find something in between. I tried the Lone Peaks and the stack height was just too tall. I found the King on Altria’s website and was waiting for an opportunity to try them.

My first outing was a 3 mile easy trail run. Obviously not as much feedback as my Minimus or Five Fingers, but they did have much better grip and the same basic footfall.

My second outing was a very wet 15 mile day hike on Signal Knob in Virginia. They performed exceptionally well. Slipping was very minimal, and they didn’t seem to take on much weight after a deep water crossing. They didn’t dry quite as quickly as the Minimus, but again that’s to be expected. I’m very impressed with the tread and grip. Mossy rocks will always be a problem, but they handled smooth damp rocks very well with minimal slipping.

I did develop a blister on my arch instep, but that’s not uncommon for me with new shoes and I think it was more due to the socks I wore weren’t up to the task for such wet conditions, and even though Altras are zero drop, they still incorporate a little more arch support than I prefer, but that is the case with every shoe I’ve worn that aren’t marketed as minimalist.

Overall, I’m very happy with them. Natural foot fall with walking or running with just enough cushion to keep from being sore. If you’re a minimalist who wants just a touch added padding but feel the Lone Peaks are too much, I say the Kings are, well, King.

++ New Posts ++